Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
NRA

The NRA should have a mountain of printed resources on this matter either in stock or references for you. This is one firearm that has truly
been "written until all is written about".

·
Registered
667 Posts
The other books mentioned are good, I would also include books by Scott Duff as suggested by lefty o. Some eamples of his work are "The M1 Garand:World WAR 2",also "The M1 Garand : post War world 2". Don't forget books written by Bruce Canfield, or Clint Mckee.

All books I have listed are availible at Scott Duff Publications & Historic Martial Arms: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, Krag, M1911A1.

One great book is " US Infantry Weapons In Combat". This book interviews WW2 and Korea veterans about their personal experiences in combat with firearms such as the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Bar, M1a1 Thompson, M3a1 Grease Gun and M1911 Pistol.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
For a decent book with some noted inaccuracies, try Harrison. His "collectable" series (white spiral bound notebooks) are pretty nice to have if you are building up a rifle or looking for parts.

Duff's Blue Book is a must have if you go out looking for Garands.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bruce Canfield's book about the M1 Garand and Carbine is a great 2 for 1.
I used it to help me through the purchase of an M1D sniper rifle.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I agree with Dookie. Harrisons is the easiest to use, just not completely accurate. Duffs is probably the most acurate info out there

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I probably would look to WWII era over post WWII because I want the book for a friend's birthday. He got a really nice WWII vintage Garand from his wife for Christmas (she's a pretty great Santa!). I think some of the history of development & introduction might be interesting to him.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Bruce Canfield's book about the M1 Garand and Carbine is a great 2 for 1.
I used it to help me through the purchase of an M1D sniper rifle.
I've got this book too. I've found it to be a good reference.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Clancy's books are wonderful. However, for the beginning Garand collector, I think they offer too much information.

At first, I didn't care why my Garand may have cost so much in 1943, I wanted to know how to take it apart and if the parts were "correct". Clancy's books are something everyone Garand collector should read. His labor of love realy helps one understand what was taking place at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts