close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boot heel to open action

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oldnugly, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Oldnugly

Oldnugly G&G Newbie

This has probably been "done to death" on here but I'll ask anyhow. What causes actions to sometimes be so hard to open
    that the "boot heel" method is recommended? Mine isn't quite that tight but it's not the way I want it.
    I sure don't remember anybody in C company kicking their rifle
    when sarge said "INSPECTION ARMS". Thanks

2. BADSBSNF81

BADSBSNF81 G&G Newbie

Post over at jouster.com in the M1 section. Does it shoot OK? Could be a bent op rod.

3. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

You can post here. Check the barel bolt lock up at the top of bolt. Allot of times I see the barrel ring at 1 o clock will bind on the top of the bolt. WIth a new bolt and proper head spacing allot of times this will fix the problem. I have also done slight filing for minor ones. There is a lapping compound that may work on minor ones also. Check if yours is hitting at this point when manually closing it? I can show you with a photo of the area I am talking about if wanted so let me know. Rick B

4. Oldnugly

Oldnugly G&G Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I've noticed that the Park on the barrel is
    slightly worn away because the long, concave part of the op rod
    contacts it. It didn't seem to be enough to cause this bind, but maybe it is. When the rifle is "locked-up" the bolt will still rock very
    slightly (maybe 1/32" at the lugs).
    Would it be possible to bend the rod away from the barrel?
    Would it be stupid and dangerous to try?
    Thanks

5. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I would not recomend bending the op rod. Try another one in it and see if the same problem is still there. You may have a barrel that is turned a bit more than it should be if this doesnt work. Honestly without seeing it in person I shouldn't try to fix it by talking to you. I'm in Cleveland and could look at it for you if you wanted? I am set up to barrel them and have many op rids also to check it. You can check the barrel correctness but getting a $2.00 small neon level that the sight glasses will pop out of. Set the rifle up so it is flat even from back to front. Take off the front sight leaving the gas cylinder on rifle. Set a sight bubble glass on the rear flat spot right behind the rear sight in front of the serial numbers and the other bubble sight glass ont he gas cylinder base where sight was. Both bubbles should be the same no matter where the rifle sits in reasonable level. If the front bubble is off from the rear by a bunch this is you're problem I bet. I've have sen follks you perfect stick that were true straight and they were 16 inches long. They placed them in the same places as the sight glass's and look from the rear. You will see a big difference if the barrel is off at all. Hope this helps and ask any questions if it doesnt make sence. Only dumb question is the one not asked. Rick B

6. Oldnugly

Oldnugly G&G Newbie

Thanks Stock Doc. I'm going away for the weekend but I'll try the bubble idea when I get back. I may be contacting you on a new op rod.

7. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Opps I meant I have op rods here to try. I dont have any for sale at the moment sorry if I made it sound that way. The one to get a descent one form is Barb King in West Manchester. She is a great lady to deal with and her email is bbkings@bright.net Tell her I sent you she is good on prices also. Rick B