Bore Snake

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by calaper, May 18, 2008.

1. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

Hi all,

Just looking for a bore snake and i noticed there are several different brands on the market. I always trust Hoppe's but the price is considerably high compared to other brands. Two other brands i've noticed are:

Gunmate

and

Knockout.

Are these reputable brands and would you trust sticking their product down the bore of your rifle?

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

A couple buck difference is not that much. The bore snake is worth the extra cash.

3. Make your own out of some weed whacker line. Heat one end and make it just a bit smaller than your bore, then you can just pull your patch through. A penny saved is more ammo!

4. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

I have the hoppes. well 2 of them. they work great, get one.

5. turner

turner Guest

I own several such cleaning aids. Most of them are "Boresnakes" but the couple other types seem similar enough and work in the same excellent manner.

6. I have three count 'em three Hoppe's . 22 caliber .45 caliber in both rifle and pistol length and my son has a .30 caliber one.

7. Righteous

Righteous Guest

use them once and throw them away, why would you want to use it again and drag everything out of the last barrel thru the other one

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I don't normally Hammer someone , But your statement is the Stupidest thing I have heard this week:nono:...you wash them in a washing machine if they get dirty...Or you can wipe the front down with a clean Rag with some solvent or Hoppes cleaner on it....
    I want to dig in your Trash can !!!

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

First,because they cost about $15.apiece,second because they are made for multiple use,third because they are washable. sam.

I don't know what you are building,but it certainly doesnt resemble any boresnake I have heard of. sam.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  10. Your kidding right? YOU CLEAN THEM! Ether by hand or in the washing machine.

11. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

hA! how dumb is that, throwing it away. I don't even own one but i know you can wash them. So i presume different brands provide a very similar product? I can buy two cheaper brands for the one hoppe's....that's why i was wondering as to their quality.

Ta

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Aw.Come on fella,s.Forgive him for writing about something he probably misunderstood.If he had no experience with a boresnake I can see how he would think that way.I had a low opinion of them until I was at the range with a friend that had fired several handguns and proceeded to clean them on the spot with me inspecting them.After looking at his guns and seeing the shiney bores he could take home and just put away with no further attention,I knew I must have some of those. After trying them I considered them the greatest invention since smokeless powder. sam.

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

calaper- Get what you can afford.

mcb- A boresnake is not just a "pull through".

Righteous- You need to go look at one!

14. turner

turner Guest

+1, +2, +3.....

15. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

All I have ever seen/used is the Hoppe one, so I can't help you with quality. I know in a .22 they take quite a pull to get them through the bore, so strength would be one factor I would look for.

While I'm a big fan of the Boresnake for .22 rimfires using lead bullets, I'm not quite so sure how good they are for a centerfire using guilding metal jacketed bullets. Especially early in the life of a new barrel you can get copper fouling, and I wonder how you use a boresnake to get it out, or tell that it is out. Seems to me there is a place in cleaning a centerfire for the rod pushed white patches, just so you can see what you have done?

Perhaps others can comment? I've only used brushes and patches on a rod for centerfires, and a boresnake for .22.

Ron

16. Well when using proper solvent and with the brass brush in the snake you can get the copper fouling out. It might take a few pulls though.

17. mosquitofish

mosquitofish Guest

I have a couple, of different brands, all about the same. they are good at the range, for touching up your gun.

18. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I normally have to pull a bore snake just once through a barrel to get it clean.

19. turner

turner Guest

+1.... I once put a nice rifle away after a range session by mistake without cleaning it(the bore). I had been shooting the 1st generation "X" bullets and when finally I pulled it out to wipe off a few months later on a normal wipe-down, I finally realized I hadn't cleaned it when I saw the greenish copper residue color. OH SH*T! Well, I used my boresnake and in 3 swipes...clean as the day it was new and still shoots as good as it ever did. It is a very nice rifle who's initials are RSI. So you can imagine my relief.

20. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

Hmm....all very interesting. I have every intention of using my rod and bush when i'm braking the barrel in. Just thought it would be good for a quick clean out in the field and at the range. I heard they prevent damage to the crown and stuff obviously because there is no rod involved. I guess there are pro's and cons for each. Most people seem to agree that it cleans very well.

Thanks all for the input