Bore squeeg-e instead of patches?

Discussion in 'Other Accessories' started by Becks42, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    Got a new item (well they've been out for years, but I just got one, lol) for my gun cleaning kit today. It's called a bore squeeg-e. They claim you don't have to use patches if you use this item. Anyone have any experience with them? Like them? Hate them? Seem to go through a lot of patches when cleaning guns, so was looking at different options. Or would I be better off using a bore snake or just sticking to the patches?

Attached Files:

jerry, rangerjd and Jaison like this.
  2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

they push stuff out the end of the barrel.
    what else do you want them to do?

if you just need more patches, old tee shirts/pillow cases/sheets, etc. work fine.

jwrauch, Ten Man, TXplt and 2 others like this.

3. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    Yes, I am well aware they pull stuff out of the barrel. I used it and had no issues and ran a bore mop through afterwards and it came out clean. I looked them up online and was reading some bad reviews saying that they weren't getting the barrel clean so I'd thought I'd check to see if anyone else had opinions/issues with them.

And yes, I am starting to run low on patches but that is an easy fix, as you have stated.

jwrauch, rangerjd and TXplt like this.
  4. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

There's a zillion types of cleaning systems, patches, bore snakes, cleaning products, etc.

At the end of the day it comes down to what's quality and what works for YOU.

I personally like bore snakes or the OTIS system (in the former I occasionally run them through a microfiber cloth to get the gunk out or buy a new one). But if this does what you want it to that's great !

5. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I used to have a couple of those. I found them much superior to a rod and patches but less useful than a good snake.

Different guns require different cleaning regimens. My old side by side shotgun is the easiest thing in the world: give it 1 or 2 passes in each barrel that was used and wipe down the lock-work with rubbing alcohol and its good to go; administer oil 2 or 3 times a year to ward off rust. If you've got a gas system, particularly direct impingement, the labor gets more intensive in a hurry.

jwrauch, jerry and TXplt like this.
  6. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

I've looked at bore squeeg-es, but I haven't tried then yet. I'm kind of old fashioned, lol and seem to stick to what I know best unless there's a real good reason to change. They seem like a good idea, but I'm just use to patches. What do you think of them, so far?

jwrauch, jerry and TXplt like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I use rods / patches, “snakes” and my wife recently bought these as a gift. (Ram rodz)

Similar product. They work well at holding solvent and sealing the bore well.

There is no harm in trying different things if you want to. Nice thing is, if it’s not workable, push it to the side and go back to what worked or have some fun trying something else.

The make up and quality of the bore had a lot to do with how well it cleans up. I have some bores that look real nice with one pass of a bore snake. A few others that I don’t think will ever be “clean” as long as it’s shooting good and no corrosion issues, I’m just to that point of accepting it.

Interested in what you think of them after a few uses. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

shanebrews, TXplt and Jaison like this.
  8. jerry

USA
    jwrauch, TXplt and Jaison like this.
  9. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I always manage to snag a few of those when I'm at the doctor.

I usually just spray some foaming bore cleaner down my rifle/pistol barrels let it sit then push it out with a jag and a little wad of paper towel.
    then I push a patch of sweet's down it to check for more blue.
    if it's gone another ball of paper towel and some oil.
    if not I spray it again and let it sit.

several of my rifles don't get their barrels cleaned,, ever.
    I have a couple that haven't had so much as a patch down them since I bought them.

10. jerry

USA
    Yep agreed.
    Depends a lot on environment too. Far as the wooden handle Swabs, the small ones are great for crevices and such. Had to do some MEK double rub testing on some powder coatings recently, so, “inherited” a bunch of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Jaison likes this.
  11. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You mess with MEK much, jerry?

jerry likes this.
  12. jerry

USA
    Unfortunately, yes.
    A bit better now days though. Back in the 80’s we used to mop floors with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

Jaison and TXplt like this.
  13. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Unless I'm putting a gun into long term storage, I usually don't overclean bores (meaning that while they might get an occasional bore snake/OTIS from time to time unless I've got accuracy issues the scrub-a-bore to me is counterproductive AND causes unnecessary wear).

The main gun I see developing deteriorating accuracy is the rimfires; specifically the MP-15/22 with ALOT of rounds through it. Cleaning these restores accuracy--at least if I'm going to be using it at the longer rimfire ranges and not to plink up close.

I've never encountered non-environmental caused corrosion in any smokeless powder bore (if the gun's been out and about in a harsh environment I'll either fire it or clean the bore/run oil patch through but otherwise simply shooting it and letting it sit hasn't ever caused any form of problem). I HAVE seen a situation where it's taken a couple of rounds (with smoke) for the bore to settle back in immediately after cleaning to optimal accuracy (which can be a problem since I might only get that one shot on a critter).

Jaison and jerry like this.
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I generally only use a bore brush when I first get a new-to-me gun. Older ones often have a lot of crud. Once cleaned, only a swipe with a patch is needed later after shooting. I never warmed to the bore snake.
    My rimfires only get bores cleaned when accuracy begins to fall off. A squeaky clean bore is inconsistent. Need to shoot a few rounds to season it before trying for tight groups. This is born out by many match shooters, and my own experience. Of course, actions are kept clean.

Jaison and TXplt like this.
  15. Personally I usually use a bore snake for centerfire / Jacketed Rimfire (like most 22 Mag) then follow up with a lightly lubed patch (call me old fashioned but I like to see a clean patch!).

As has already been said, 22 Rimfire is a different Animal. For those I usually use a traditional brush / solvent and patches due to the ammo not being jacketed (the Copper wash doesn't count IMO). I would due the same for Revolvers as well if I shot a lot of Non-Jacketed stuff.

That being said the Squeegee would be interesting to try on a Centerfire, but I would stick to Old School for my 22's.

Jaison, jerry and TXplt like this.
  16. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Crazy stuff, that MEK. Saw a trash can with MEK rags next to a welder blow all the trash in it high enough to hit a 30’ ceiling.

We used it to freeze stink bugs and then watch them come back after they thawed out.

Excellent degreaser, though.

Highjack over...

jerry and TXplt like this.