close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boring!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rave, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

:confused:

Man,the AK-47 forum has become boring!:confused:

2. Dan R.

Dan R. G&G Newbie

Man! You got that right Rave. Most of the gun-specific fourms here
    have about 1/10th the content as the old fourms.

3. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I don't blame the admin.,it just seems like apathy has taken over!
    I do have a question that might generat a little stir.
    If you get a Romanian AK-47 with a canted sight,how do you correct it?
    I suppose you could get one on any AK,but I keep hearing of the Romanian ones coming with canted sights and I would think those folks would like to know,i would and I don't have one,yet!:confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

Seems that a lot of the activity on that site was the result of the market getting flooded with Romanian AK's with lots of quality control problems & lousy fire control groups and lots of folks seeking and providing info on how to deal with these nifty new toys. That's settled down a lot.

Canted sights are one of the more common quality control problems with the Romanians, there are a number of threads at ak47.net giving detailed info on dealing with them. Basicly it sounds pretty simple: Drive out retaining pin, straighten the sight, re-drill for a new retaining pin and install one. Hard part seems to be getting the old pin out and getting the new one perfectly straight when re-drilling and re-installing. Same routine for canted gas blocks. Most folks seem to advise leaving them alone if they aren't canted so much that the gas piston binds, you can't zero the weapon, or it just looks ridiculous.

5. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Thanks Sutro,it sounds like it could really be a pain,esp. if the front sight was not too far off.
    I guess one would have to be extra careful and look it over good,even then if the gas block was off it seems it could get by unless one was very familiar with the problem,kind of scary!
    I thought of selling my pretty blued Norince and getting a Sar-1 and using the money to get a SR-41,but now i don't know!:confused: :confused: :confused:

6. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

REALLY appreciate my MAK-90 now!

I went to a gun show this week end and checked out every Romanian AK there,all but one had canted sights,one at least 3/8" off. No other AKs at the show displayed that or any other problems.
    I am now going to keep my MAK-90 for sure,after looking at the others there is no more doubt in my mind,I would be crazy to part with it!
    :D :D :D :D :D

7. Dan R.

Dan R. G&G Newbie

Yeah Rave, I see the same thing at gun shows all the time up here in Wash. state.
    Three times in the last 6 months I have seen new sar 1's sitting on a table right next to a new or slightly used Mak-90, and the mak's are 25 to 35 dollors less!?!?

The choice was very easy for me and I have not been dissapointed at all.

IMHO Mak-90's are the best Kalishnakov variant for under $400
    out there PERIOD!

Dan R.

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Finding a MAK-90 for under $400 is fortunate these days. I remember NHM-91s being $350ish...
    Ah, those were the days.

9. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Ya know,interest in the AK is really down.I look at all the books and magazines on the racks and there is vertually nothing on the AK!
    The American survivor is the only magazine that has included a deceant article on the AK and it was exceptional,maint and upkeep on your Ak.It included a recent history of the AK in America including how the Media did away with them. I made a copy of the article which is six pages long and includes what parts to get in case,unlikely,something brakes,list of parts to change to allow pistol grip on postban(after 9/13/94) fromSoupbowl,and lots of other goodies.
    From what I have seen of the trends we will not see such as that again! Too bad!
    :nod: :nod: :nod: :( :( :(