Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Seems like the most important thing is to have a large family and trusted friend group if you want to survive. Here in the U.S. we have been blasted with decades of media coverage to make us stay away from, and distrust, our neighbors.

Thanks to the internet, many people rarely leave their houses even to shop, or pay bills, or take classes, or join clubs, or do anything else that might create bonds with other humans in your area.

Large families are practically non-existent. They spread out all across the country.

My friends are equally spread out, and there are maybe a handful of them with useful skills within an hour's drive under normal conditions. That would be worlds away in SHTF - two to three days (maybe more) of ducking and dodging, hiding, and maybe fighting, and probably no way to know if they would even be there when you got to them.

I could survive for a long time on our farm, but I hadn't really thought about just how many people it might take to defend it.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,944 Posts
I was there FWIW but not really in that we were flying over the area for the festivities in the later part (1995-ish) and got to return home to Italy.

Get out of the cities.

The kinda nice thing is a lot of us take some solace in that we’ve thought of the basics.

The key for me is in forging friendships with neighbors in that few of us do everything well. But we all have our skills. And this is in how Frontier America dealt with conditions much worse than this. Working together and banding together.

Food, water, energy.

What really concerns me — and this is a recurring theme — is the abhorrent behavior I’ve seen during the WuFlu and some individuals’ willingness to place blind trust and/or obeyance towards people and entities that definitely should NOT be trusted. Under any circumstances. And need to be resisted.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,944 Posts
Seems like the most important thing is to have a large family and trusted friend group if you want to survive. Here in the U.S. we have been blasted with decades of media coverage to make us stay away from, and distrust, our neighbors.

Thanks to the internet, many people rarely leave their houses even to shop, or pay bills, or take classes, or join clubs, or do anything else that might create bonds with other humans in your area.

Large families are practically non-existent. They spread out all across the country.

My friends are equally spread out, and there are maybe a handful of them with useful skills within an hour's drive under normal conditions. That would be worlds away in SHTF - two to three days (maybe more) of ducking and dodging, hiding, and maybe fighting, and probably no way to know if they would even be there when you got to them.

I could survive for a long time on our farm, but I hadn't really thought about just how many people it might take to defend it.
Looks like we reached similar conclusions at the same time lol.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
It is important to bear in mind that these people were typically highly educated. Many/most spoke more than one language. They were not knuckle-draggers...and yet they descended into He!!.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes I have read that story or should I say I followed it for awhile.
He is right large family or group. My nephew and I have been discussing a plan . How we can all our family and some friends have a place to go band together and stay in a group. The place for us to band together will be in the country. We are working on a plan to round up the family members the live close to each of us. Like for me it’s my dad sister her boys and husband and my son. For my nephew he has his list. On my part I’m going to have a meeting spot for the ones that live close to me . We meet then head to another place so all of us can move to the BOL . My family is scattered . Although the ones instead of waiting on my group of family. Should probably go on to the BOL. We will get there. Plus the the group may get to big if we do the first way.
Like I said we are working on it nothing is set in stone. Some of it also depends what is the SHTF at the time. We are also working on communication now.
Anyway hopefully we have a little more time to work out the details etc. and get everyone on board . Instead of just my nephew and i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts