close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought a Howa 1500 in .243

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by calaper, Jul 25, 2009.

1. calaper

calaper G&G Newbie

Now what can i expect? The local gunshop had a sale on today and a great price on the howa. I went there with the intention of buying a stevens model 200 but they informed me that there would be a long wait as they had many on back order waiting to come into the country.

I was a bit thrown out as i have been researching all sorts of rifles lately - originally i was going to get the tikka t3 varmint but didn't like the feel of it. Same went with many others. I have never bought a japanese made firearm so i guess it is fingers crossed.

I am aware that Howa previously made rifles for weatherby and also did some work for S&M. I am guessing the quality isn't too bad. I will be doing handloads, with the right load what sort of accuracy can be expected. With my current tikka i am getting approx - .4" @100yards.

Finally people if someone could help me out with the twist rate on this rifle that would be great, i can't find any specs for it what so ever. I want to choose the right weight projectile but kind of need to know the twist rate first!

Thanks for any responses in advance.

2. Metronome

Metronome G&G Newbie

Howa makes a darn fine gun, and they still make the Vanguard for Weatherby. It is one of the sleeper rifles out there, you made a good purchase. Check out Legacy Sports website for data.

3. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

calaper that HO will be your best rifle. It's a good'in !!!!

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I am positive it is 1in10" twist but some Co,s are putting out a 1in9 1/8".No real problem,the 1in10" just means you won't have too good of luck with bullets over 100gr.As to accuracy,I doubt that you will get in the .4,s without a lot of careful reloading and research.As I recall Weatherby was guarranteeing MOA in their line.That is really good for out of the box rifles. ,,,sam.

5. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Evangelist

I have an "older" Howa 1500 carbine in 243. I've had it for about 8 years now, and finally got to playing with it this year.

The trigger is adjustable and not bad at all. I had tha action srews loosen up and traced that to a flaw in the stock bedding. I fixed that issue, tightened the bolts up, and have had no issues with it since.

I found Winchester WXR and a 100 grain bullet to shoot very well, but not to .4". WXR is the same burn rate as Rel-22, so that powder or Rel-19 maight be a good place to start when loading 100 grain bullets. 85 grain Sierras and 4064 where very good grouping at .75". That should make a nice 'yote load if you have wind to fight.

6. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

What are you gonna use it for in Australia, dingos?

7. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

You did real good. I have a Stevens 200, I'm doing a build up on, but the Howa is real accurate. Also check out the BLACKHAWK! Knoxx Stocks! Avion stock for the Howas. Lets see some groups.

8. calaper

calaper G&G Newbie

Track driver - I am looking at shooting anything from fox, roo's to deer. I have a property out west that has a problem with wild dogs but the baits are keeping them under control at present.

Deersniper I will let you know once i pick up the gun, 'got my cooling off period' to go through first but i will definitely upload some pics and my grouping.

I hope with reloads i can compete with my tikka - i'm sure i'll figure it out, just takes time to find the right loads!

Thanks for the input, i'll update this thread once i pickup the gun and shoot it!

9. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Howa really is a higher quality rifle

The .243 Wnchester is one of my favorite cartridges. It combines
    accuracy with lower recoil and muzzle blast.

As someone mentioned, Howa is the firm of the Weatherby Vanguard.

You should have great accuracy. If you handload you will probably surprise yourself.

Have a great experience with a great rifle.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted