Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first reloading press. I got the Dillon 550 b progressive. I would like to hear any thoughts about the press (good or bad) or advice on reloading.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the press is good. get yourself some manuals and read them start to finish. manuals will answer 95% of your reloading questions.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hmmm. You got a good press, but IMHO, a progressive press isn't a good choice for a new reloader. Too many things happen every time you pull the handle. You need to learn to walk before you run...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. You got a good press, but IMHO, a progressive press isn't a good choice for a new reloader. Too many things happen every time you pull the handle. You need to learn to walk before you run...
I agree!!! I do however have a good friend that has been reloading for many years and he will be my guide:) I also did not want to by a single stage and six months down the road spend another $400 on the progressive. Thank you for your advice though.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You will still wind up finding a need for a single stage press. You should never not have at least 1 good single stage press.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will still wind up finding a need for a single stage press. You should never not have at least 1 good single stage press.
I will keep that in mind. I can buy a good single stage for a lot less money. I just had the money set aside for the progressive and bought it. it is not often that I have an available $400:)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You made a great choice. I own 2 of them,,,,,,,,,BUT I use a single stage just as often. You will find the single stage is just the ticket for the first steps in preping your rifle brass. I think I use it almost as much as my Dillons.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
There is a DVD called "Competition Reloading with Brian Enos", he goes step by step on a Dillon 650 progressive. You can purchase the DVD from his website or Midway USA or ........

Have fun reloading, Oh yeah if you have your C&R and you will get discounts at Midway and other sites.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Nice purchase. I wish I'd had a mentor to watch me load my first few. I'd sugest haveing your friend help u the first few times u load. He will help u get a rythm, and help with strategic placement of tools, supplys and such.

When u do decide to buy a single stage, its like anything else u get what u pay for. Not to push anything on you, but I have a Hornady. I really like the Lock-n-load setup. Put your dies in the bushing, set them up once and lock'm down. From then on its just snap in n snap out.

·
Premium Member
30,645 Posts
I just bought my first reloading press. I got the Dillon 550 b progressive. I would like to hear any thoughts about the press (good or bad) or advice on reloading.
hot diggety!
i was sooo happy when i got mine.

i still have my lil lee single stage that i use for target rifle rounds.
but i recently wanted some plinking ammo for my .308
whipped up 300 rounds on the dillon real quick after sizing on the lee.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Why would you size on a Lee first?:confused:

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
The RCBS Rockchucker is a good single stage press. Works good when forming brass and full length resizing. Dad's used his for about 40 years. Only one he uses, of course he doesn't get in any hurry

·
Registered
565 Posts
I started out with a Hornady LnL 5 station and use it single whenever I want. Like making 5 .270's. Or I run off 3-4 hundred .45LC at a sitting whenever I want also. You did good. BUT when I started running the press it was one station at a time till I understood each station's quarks, in not a lot of bench time I got to running 4-5 stations with confidence. READ and READ MORE. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
30,645 Posts
hot diggety!
i was sooo happy when i got mine.

i still have my lil lee single stage that i use for target rifle rounds.
but i recently wanted some plinking ammo for my .308
whipped up 300 rounds on the dillon real quick after sizing on the lee.
Why would you size on a Lee first?:confused:
because a fair amount of the brass was fired in a semi auto and big enough to make it hard to resize them.
and the height i have the lee set up at i can really put my back into if need be.
the dillon is set up for sitting down.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Thats a big purchase for a first press, its good since you won't need to upgrade.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Congrats on the new press. We sell quite a few of them. It seems Dillon is all good.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I size rifle cases first on a single stage then I trim to proper length. Its just easier to do it that way rather than fool around with the progressive. I almost always reload on the progressive, but if I prepped the cases before reloading, I simply leave out the sizing die.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts