close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bought one...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Apr 7, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Went to a gun show today to see if I could bargin on an FN-FAL (he didn't go for it....I'll get it next time). Well, my buddies uncle that I am good friends with had a table there. On that table was a used but clean(enough for me) Romanian M-44, with a bayonet, and stamped 1955. Well, that gun is now in my gun cabinet. I got that and a box of silver tip "sniper" ammo for $80. Then I went ahead and bought six more boxes of that ammo(the silver is just painted on) because thats all he had. I wanted a Russian one but I'll take what I can get. Can't wait to get out to the range. For one rifle and 140 rounds, I have to say I would have been dumb not to buy it all for $110(is this a good or bad price?). This thing will make an excellent bad weather deer slayer. What kind of accuracy can I expect with this thing? I have shot one before, but was just plinking a few rounds. Any other thing I should know or do with this gun? I hope I don't loose my mind like the rest of you guys and fill my closets with Mosins;) . Just thought I would let you guys know that there is a new Mosin owner out there.:flame:
    Thanks....

-Tim

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Tim Pull one of those silvertip bullets and grind it in half. it should have a steel penatrator in it.
    any way have fun with your new Mosin Nagant.

3. Congratulations on the Mosin. I think that was a good price. They go for about $99 here. I got a new unissued Russian with accessories and it set me back $199! I havent shot mine enough to comment on the accuracy and the wind was hitting 50 mph this weekend so all shooting was off. And as far as us Mosin owners losing our minds and filling our closets with Mosins....that will never happen. We will just build another closet.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Good buy. Just keep in mind that these short carbines aren't intended for any real accuracy. Get a nice Finn M39, or an M91/30 and then you'll be amazed at what an under-$100 rifle can do. I don't know how good the silver-tip "sniper" ammo is supposed to be. Some people tell me the silver-tip is simply newer production issue ammo. Try some good Sellior&Belot. It's better quality, and reloadable too. I've been hoping the popularity of these rifles will make the big ammo companies produce good commercial ammo. Then, we'll really hear stories of great shots.

:usa:

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

With the M44, accuracy can be descibed as minute-of-pie-plate at 100 yards. They aren't the most accurate carbines, but I love mine!! They will definitely draw attention, and they have one awesomw muzzle blast!
    As far as the silver-tipped ammo, it's a 165 grain match bullet. They are very accurate in my Remington M91, and my M39. I do have some red and black-tip API ammo I shoot out of my M44, and it's really impressive when you shoot a solid metal channel at 100 yards.
    Congrats on your purchase, and hope (know) you will enjoy it. Just remember, there are plenty of Mosins out there that need a good home. No pressure, though.....
    :)

6. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I wanted a Russian one, but got a Romanian rifle. Is there any real differenced between the two (quality, accuracy, etc.)? My buddies uncle didn't have any Russian ones there and I figured it wasn't worth the wait(till I see him again, which would be awhile) or worth the extra cash just for the different markings/history. Oh well, I am happy (as long as it goes boom when I pull the trigger).
    Can always trade it for a Russkie......Or buy another one, which I am sure all of you will encourage. :)

-Tim

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

There's really no difference between the Russian and the Romanian M44's. Just as with the Russian and Romanian AK-series rifles, they were made with the same tooling. The Russians had persuaded the Romanian government to deposit their gold reserve in a Russian depository for safe keeping before the Romanians were part of the Warsaw Pact. In trade, the Russians sent engineers to Romania to help supply the Romanians with Russian-made firearms. Eventually, things between the 2 were going fine, until the Roamanian government asked for their gold reserve back. The Russians said that they were not giving it back, and Romania was on its own. So, the Romanians had to fend for herself. They kept all of the tooling and dies for the Mosin-Nagant and the AK rifles. All of the machinery was Russian, and Romania held it as collateral for the gold. Then, the Romanians produced the only tri-burst AK ever made.
    Let us know how your M44 does, AR. If you know someone with a C&R FFL, Centerfire Systems has a special this month on M44's. You can get one of each M44 for $49.97 a piece. They have Russian, Romanian, Polish, and Bulgarian models. If you buy them seperate, they're $59.97 each. They have them listed as being in good condition, but they usually underrate their firearms. :target:

8. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Got it out to the range today. Didn't really shoot any paper for accuracy, just plinking. Man that is one fun gun...Don't know what it is about that thing, but its addicting. My buddy wanted to leave and I want to stay and keep blasting with my M44. Destroyed some (full/old) beer cans and blasted some granite. The range I go to has some rocks around by the berms so I picked out a few as targets. That is one fun gun, especially for under $100. Shot a few rounds with the Glock I just picked up, and my AR, but kept going back to the cheapest (by a lot) gun. From just this afternoon, I realize it is time to buy a lot of surplus ammo. I'll get around to shooting some paper for accuracy, but it seemed pretty close. Well, just thought I would let you know.

-Tim

9. Glad you enjoyed your new rifle. I agree, I have no idea what the attaction is for these guns. Maybe we are just into pain, put fifty rounds through it and your sholder will ache for the rest of the day. You might want to start looking around for a M91/30, because you will be buying one soon, i guarentee it.

Good Luck Comrade.:spaceship

10. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I am still worked up over shooting that thing. Still don't know why.....Might have to change my name to M-44tim or Mosintim. Well, that might take it too far. I talked to a friend of mine about it(he has shot M-44s before) and he said it like when he shoots his Enfield .308 jungle carbine. Just a little fun bolt action I guess. I am going to talk to "my dealer" and tell him if he gets a Russian one, I'll trade him my Romanian one plus some cash. I just want a "red" one. This isn't really going anywhere, just me venting cause no one else is around to talk guns to...:)

Thanks for listening....

-Tim

11. Jack

Jack G&G Newbie

Ar Tim Get both, Youll feel better

12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

AR-tim, down here in Florida, the guys like the M44's for hunting pigs in the dense brush. A lot of power in a small package. That big 7.62 will flat drop a pig in his tracks!
    When shooting Mosins at targets, I've never seen one that didn't shoot high at 100 yards. I generally aim 8 or 10 inches low, and that can is history. If you don't want to be punished for your pleasure, get the Finn M39. It's got a heavier barrel and a heavier Mauser-style stock. It handles the recoil much better than the slimmer Russians.
    But, it seems you have Mosinitis bad. The only way it can be controlled is to buy more Mosins. They're as fun to collect as old Mausers. Enjoy.

13. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

glad you're having fun w/new toy.mine is a 1944 russian w/laminated stock-looks brand new except for handling dings.one thing to watch-a lot of the surplus ammo on the mrkt including the czech silver tip is corrosive so be sure to keep it clean.for what it's worth,mine prints about 5" low at 100 yards but groups in the 1 1/2" range w/wolf fmj if i do my job right.keep it smokin'..tim