Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! from what ive done that is. i couldnt get it to fire in semi auto. The gas tube selector thing was stuck. Like it would go over but not all the way so it would be in semi auto. Needless to say me and my buddy shot 60 rounds in the single fire. Then when i came home i tore down the gas tube and worked on the selector. Works fine now. Just had to wrestle with it a bit and loosen it up. Also helped to remove the cosmoline junked up in it. Oh on the subject of cosmoline. I found that using starting fluid on the metal parks that are covered in cosmoline worked real well. Idk how good that is for the metal parts though................

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Congrats man! You'll find that the longer you have it, the more in love you fall! I'm not sure about the starting fluid, though. Because I don't have proper lube for it, I'm currently using sewing machine oil and I'm just re-lubing it more often. If all else fails you could always go for transmission oil. It would probably work.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have hoppe's gun oil. i put that on after cleaning. i just was stating that the starter fluid seemed to clean off the cosmoline quite well. Oh and its a Yugo SKS

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Congradulation on your new SKS you are one of many here that owns one, though I don't have one yet. I will share in your joy LOL ! with you.
Again congrats you lucky feller...A.H

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much. I'm real excited about it. i love the fact that i have 1000 rounds, and 25 stripper clips. I can shoot quite a bit before having to reload any strips

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man i have to find my camera. Not to mention still do some minor cleaning on it. still a bit of cosmoline coming out when i shot and also in the bayonet hinge

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
HA !!! My son just bought a Mossberg 590 Military/Police shotgun and he ask me to clean it. It had some kind of sticky funk all over it !!!
I don't think it was cosmolene, but it came with a tube of stuff that took the funk right off.
I finished cleaning it up with Break Free CLP and that stuff is the best stuff I've ever used for cleaning and lubricating guns...A.H Try it you'll like it !

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have never used starter fluid, I always use mineral spirits on all my milsurp's that have cosmo. also if you don't a wife that will freak out, a lot of people tear down all the metal parts and run them through the diswasher, without soap, for a couple of cycles then lube as usual. I see you went with the gold tier ammo, how did it work?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Great, another SKS shooter. You're going to be hooked now.

Did you buy it from AIM like we told ya?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup bought it from aim. golden tiger worked good. We set up a log about 100 yards out and put a piece of paper with a target on it out there. Every shot hit the paper. Couldnt tell you the groupings though because we shot about 40 times then checked the paper. so we dont know which were which

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That's what the SKS is all about. It's not going to be minute of angle target rifle. (I guess there might be a few out there that will do that). But they sure are fun. Enjoy it. :)

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
also if you don't a wife that will freak out, a lot of people tear down all the metal parts and run them through the diswasher,

:werd:

I did this with my last gunked up Yugo and it worked GREAT!!!:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts