close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bow hunters anonymous

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Mar 16, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    hi my name is jerry, and i'm a bow hunter.

gotta start somewhere!

2. beaurt

beaurt G&G Newbie

Me too

I'm Brandon and I have been bowhunting for two years now. I thought I could stop, but now I have a gun hunting tree stand and a bow hunting tree stand. Lucky I still have just one bow. I keep telling myself that I can quit. I'm sure I can.:rolleyes:

3. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

Hi, I'm Chad and have only been bowhunting for a year. I had always been into hunting with modern firearms and muzzleloaders so I figured I might as well take up bowhunting because it looked like a lot of fun. Well, I was right, it's a lot of fun but every bit as expensive as firearm hunting. Before the past whitetail season, I bought a brand new BowTech bow and all new accessories. I spent over $1,000 getting ready for hunting season and then didn't even see anything that I wanted to shoot, but it was fun to hear the deer coming through the woods and picking up my bow waiting for them to come into range. Too bad it was all does and small bucks this year, I really wanted to get one with a bow. At least I can practice shooting my bow and it doesn't cost a fortune, well at least as long as I don't lose one of those ex$pen$ive carbon arrows; I can't say that for my rifles, I don't get to pull the bullets out of the target and reuse them. Anyway, I had fun bowhunting this year and that's all that matters. Now if turkey season would hurry up and get here, I want to try to get one of them with my bow.:D

4. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Hi,

My name is Scott and I've been bowhunting, (I'm ashamed to say) 25 years. I've tried the patch and that didn't work. I've tried group talk therapy and that didn't work. I guess it is a disease I'll have to learn to live with. Even in small doses though it is addictive.

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yeah bowhunting is addictive, been doing it for 19 years on and off. put the bow down for a couple of years but it always ends up back in my hand!!!

6. MuddyDuck

MuddyDuck G&G Newbie

AR.
    Hello,My name is Jim,I've been addicted to Bowhunting for 20+ years,I know I must admit my problem to cure it.
    But every fall, I find my self trimming shooting lanes in remote places,hanging stands,then walking into these areas, early in the morning/afternoons,perched in the treetops waiting for the "BIG ONE" to showup,more often than not it's smaller 120" or less/ or does.but the sights,smells of fall.......I can't help it. Thanks maybe this is a start (hope NOT!!!)

7. skyking

skyking G&G Newbie

been bowhunting since 92--bought a hoyt super slam---went the cheap way with the aluminum shafts----cheap pin sights--spent less then 500 on the whole rig plus clothes--still have the same bow--buy a new dozen of arrows and heads every year--on my 4rth string---trying to keep the cost down to a minimum--this season I shot my 14th deer with that bow--if it aint broke don't fix it

8. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Anyone know anything about the Oneida Eagle bow?

Jesse

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yeah shot an onieda years ago when they were newer seemed okay, of course im old fashioned shoot a wheel bow, or my recureve, so how many here fletch theyre own arrrows?

10. jerry

USA
    lefty, always wanted to try to build my own, only problem is already have lots of capitol in reloading and guns. what would a person expect to have to invest and what are the ups and downs of the process. I see tons of stuff to do it. must be something to it? what are we missing?

11. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i dont know with these new carbon arrows, but aluminum or wood all you need is a fletching jig, glue and patience.

12. styckk

styckk G&G Newbie

Ca
    I also bow hunt. A few years ago I shot compound bow but wanted to go traditional. Alas I had spent so much on firearms and related accessories, that I could not afford the longbow I desired. I purchased book and started making my own bows. That was 5 years ago....now I have quite a few hunting weight bows....I have sold a few and shooting equipment made with my hands brings added enjoyment to the sport. I make arrows from dowels found at Home Depot.

13. YOU NEVER GET OVER BOWS

STARTED BOW HUNTING IN 1953. THE MOST FUN IS BIRDS. IT REALY IS A THRILL TO GET THEM IN FLIGHT. MAKES DEER HUNTING LOOK EASY. JUST KEEP SHOOTING. I TAUGHT INSTINCTIVE SHOOTING FOR YEARS . THE ONLY WAY TO GO IN MY BOOK. IN MY BOW CLASSES I STRESS PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

DANA

14. jerry

USA
    I NEVER TRIED BIRDS DANA. WHEN I LIVED IN ARIZONA, THE ONLY WAY TO TAKE PHEASANT WAS BOW OR FALCONRY. ON BIRDS, IS A "FLU FLU" ARROW USED?

15. BIRDS

JERRY

USE FLU FLU ARROWS IF YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ARROW AGAIN IF YOU MISS. HOWEVER IT CHANGES THE FLIGHT OF THE ARROW. YOU WOULD BE SURPISED HOW EASY IT IS TO HIT A MOVING TARGET WHEN YOU LEARN TO SHOOT BY INSTINCT. BASICLY YOU PICK A SPOT IN SPACE TO SHOOT AT. NO SWING OR MOVING LEAD. JUST DRAW A SHOOT ALL IN ONE SMOOTH MOTION BOOTH EYES OPEN. THE SAME WITH A SHOTGUN.

DANA

16. jerry

USA
    DANA,
    I USE A COMPOUND, WOULD THAT HAMPER THE EFFORT? IV'E SHOT OTHER SMALL GAME, SQUIRELL, RABBIT WITH THE BOW WHILE DEER HUNTING. MIGHT HAVE TO TRY THIS BIRD THING. I'LL HAVE TO ROUND UP SOME CHEAP ARROWS THAT SHOOT WELL :D

17. COMPOUND VIS RECURVE

THE CHANGE IN FLUID DRAW AND NO HOLD SIGHTING IS MORE DIFFICULT WITH A COMPOUND BUT YOU CAN DO IT. THE ONE CONTINUOUS DRAW AND RELEASE IS ALMOST NATURAL WITH A RECURVE OR EVEN A LONG BOW IF YOU HAVE ONE. IT IS PRACTICE THAT MAKES IT WORK. IF YOU COULD FIND SOME OF THE OLD FRED BEAR FILMS YOU CAN SEE A MASTER AT WORK.

DANA

18. jerry

USA
    AGREE,
    I THINK FLUIDITY WOULD BE THE KEY HERE. THE SIGHTS ON THE

COMPOUND WOULD BE A HINDERANCE I'M SURE. ONE WOULD

ALSO HAVE TO PRACTICE A LOT SHOOTING WITH FINGERS. IV'E

USED A RELEASE THE WHOLE TIME.

FRED BEAR WAS THE BEST, THE FATHER OF BOW HUNTING. HAVE

YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE BYRON ON THE AMERICAN

SHOOTER? HE DOES SOME REMARKABLE THINGS WITH A BOW.

B/R
    JERRY

19. TRY IT

DON'T LOOK AT THE SIGHTS. USING BOTH EYES OPEN LOOK ONLY AT THE PLACE IN SPACE YOU WANT TO HIT. WHEN YOU COME TO FULL DRAW YOU SHOULD BE RELEASING. I FIND USING A PIG SKIN GLOVE WITH ELASTIC SIDE WEBS WORK BETTER THAN ANYTHING FOUND TO DATE. I HAVE NOT SEEN THE AMERICAN SHOOTER BUT ONE OR TWICE. NOT IN MY ALLOWED VIEWING TIME. I.E. WE ARE WATCHING SOMETHING ELSE.

DANA

20. jerry

USA
    I'LL GIVE IT A TRY. TOOK A VACATION DAY TODAY AND SAT IN THE TREE UNTILL MY FEET FELT LIKE 2 ICE BLOCKS.

FOR YOU DEER HUNTERS, MIGHT WANT TO TRY A PRODUCT CALLED "DEER DANDER" IT COMES IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND SMELLS EXACTLY LIKE DEER. SEEMS TO BE PRETTY GOOD STUFF, BEEN USING AS A COVER SCENT ON THE BOOTS.

SPEAKING OF BOOTS, I THINK THE RUBBER BOOTS ARE GOING BY THE WAY FOR THE 1000 GRAM THINSULATE.... BRRRR.....