close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Box fed shotguns

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 7, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Am I the only guy who wishes there were more shotguns out there that fed from a detachable mag?
    All the ones I know of are these:

Semi Autos-
    Franchi SPAS-15 (extremely rare and expensive)
    Beretta M3P (even rarer)
    USAS-12 (reclassified "destructive device", thank you very much Diane Feinstein)
    Saiga 12, 20, and 410 (based on the AK action)
    Omega SPS-12 (inexpensive, look pretty nice, but are quite elusive)

Pumps-
    Baikal IZH-81k (I'm told they're dicontinued due to lack of durability, also use single slide bar and have other less desirable features)
    Some old discontinued Mossberg model, I forget the number
    And now these new adapter systems for common pump shotguns.

Are there any I don't know about? Anyone have particular experience with any of these?

Special Weapons is developing one based on the G3 receiver. I'd love to see one. But having a pistol grip and detachable mag, it's technically an "assault weapon" (thanks again no good sniveling insecure politicians), so only availale to law enforcement. But the ban is set to expire in 2004, so cross your fingers. I still think a thumbhole stocked version would be better than nothing.

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Can you top them off if an opportunity presents itself ?...If you can't why bother ?. I think the box mag is a solution to a non existant problem.
    By the way G3 I'm not being sarcastic just candid.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THESE WERE COOL BUT NEVER HAD ONE. I ALSO THOUGHT THE OLD BOLT ACTIONS WERE COOL TOO. NEVER HAD EITHER OR KNEW IF I WOULD NEED ONE BUT GLAD TO KNOW THEIR OUT THERE. I DON'T CONDEMN ANY GUN I DON'T HAVE. SOME PEOPLE WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

4. BattleRifleG3

Top them off... what does that mean? Do you mean fill up the tube afte firing a couple shots so it's full? I've thought of that too, definitely a nice feature of the tube mag. I think each has its advantages.

Oh yeah, I did forget one...
    I think I've seen pictures of a 12ga pump called the ATIS-12. Don't know much about it, haven't seen any advertised either.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    if you want a fast relaod with a shotgun see BENELLI

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Russian Saiga falls apart on the range...Italian Valtro may be the way to go...according to Gun Tests

7. BattleRifleG3

Never heard of the Valtro. Any sources of info or pictures?

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Valtro PM5 Versione Calcio Plastica...$350 conditional buy. 12 gauge 7+1 capacity. 7.1 lbs.
    3" chamber. Valtro USA (510) 489-8477