close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

boys first 22 rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mrbassantlers, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mrbassantlers

mrbassantlers G&G Newbie

My son is 6 yrs old and I would like to buy him his first rifle so he can start plinking with dad. Looking aroung at local gun shops, all I have found in youth models are Cricket rifles.The plastic cocking piece and overall quality kinda turn my stomach. What companies make good quality youth model 22 cals just like dads?:sad2:

2. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

Henry makes some good youth rifles

3. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Addict

there are higher quality crickets look here Crickett Rifles, Davy Crickett, Youth Rifles

with nice wood stocks and stainless barrels got one just a while back for my daughter. had to order it though but it is well built and pretty accurate for what it is and what it cost. she has only had it a little while and already shot 100's of shots through it

there is also the chipmunk Shooters Discount, Inc. - Chipmunk Youth Rifle 22LR Rogue Rifle Company’s "Chipmunk" Youth Rifles like this but I have never actually held one

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. ruger22com

ruger22com G&G Newbie

I am a big believer in starting a kid out with a REAL rifle...and a NON-semiauto.

If you can find one...I recommend an old russian single shot tula bolt action military trainer. They are safe, small, deadly accurate, cheap and never have a problem. most are pretty beat up, but the wood can always be refinished and are a perfect kids first rifle.

5. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I agree with not getting a semi-auto. I love autoloading .22's, but I've been taking firearms apart and putting them back together for years. As odd as it may sound, I don't mind having things not work quite right (not just guns, everything. Cars, Computers, etc). I enjoy the challenge of making it work again.

He, being 6, would probably be frustrated from down time, and might want to give up the sport. I would get either Single Shot, Bolt Action, or Level Action. There are some pump action rifles out there as well, but I'm not sure if any come in a youth size.

I would pick one of these:

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

H & R Firearms: Firearms: Rifles

Marlin Firearms: Bolt Action 22 Rifles : 915Y

Savage Arms Mark II Rimfire Series Model Mark II GY Youth

The Henry Repeating Mini-Bolt looks like a neat little rifle...

6. mrbassantlers

mrbassantlers G&G Newbie

I sincerely believe that every child should learn with a single shot. It helps emphasize the importance of making 1 shot count and will in my opinion make the child a better marksman in the long run.

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Rossi makes several youth combo's that come with 2 or 3 barrels in chamberings from .22 lr to 12 ga. The barrels are easily swapped and when he gets older, a full sized buttstock can be installed. My oldest grandson just got a Browning BL-22 for his B-Day and I'm building him a shorter buttstock for it, when he outgrows it, we'll add a pad to lengthen it, and when that gets too short, we'll put the original back on it. FWIW, the Rossi's are pretty inexpensive and Academy usually has a pretty good selection of them.

8. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Rossi USA

That looks like a very nice combo....is Rossi partnered with H&R/NEF? Their firearms look almost identical.

9. mrbassantlers

mrbassantlers G&G Newbie

Thanks for the input, I didn't know Henry made a youth rifle. I checked it out and it looks pretty sweet. All the reviews I've found are all very positive. It is the official youth rifle of the US Olympic team. Think I will look into the Henry further.

10. Dierte

Dierte G&G Newbie

I believe that savage makes a .22 that comes with both a youth stock and an adult stock. That way you only hafta buy one gun. I'm pretty sure that I saw it at Gander Mountain.

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'd second the Savage. My first .22 rifle is an old Stevens single-shot boltie - different than today's Savage, but I'm a believer in brand loyalty as long as the quality is there.

12. mrbassantlers

mrbassantlers G&G Newbie

I will definitely keep that in mind when buying the rifle.

13. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

don't go small

i would not buy him a youth model 22 because most 22 these days are usualy smaller guns so you could get him a ruger 10/22 and he should be able to shoot it just fine. stay with a regular size rifle so he can use it when he is an adult that way you dont have to buy more that one gun or buy extra things to add so it would fit him better in the future

14. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Yepper....I bought the Golden Boy .22lr a few months ago...great fun and they really stand by their product.

After getting it home from Cabela's and wiping off the grease I noticed an abrasion and a nick in the brasslite receiver.

After a couple weeks it kind of bugged me so I emailed Henry about buying a replacement receiver...non other than the President of the company emailed me saying they will send me a replacement for free.

1 1/2 weeks later there was a nice shiny brasslite receiver on my door step with zero inperfections on it....you can't go wrong with Henry!

15. genwinters

genwinters G&G Newbie

I learned on a rossi. easy to maintain, easy to shoot and very accurate

16. shrub

shrub G&G Newbie

I started on a criket, deadly out to 100 yards till i outgrew it. awsome gun for beginners. I dont know about the new ones but mine ( made in 1996 if i rember right) is a very high qauilty fire arm. Still have it to hand down to my kids someday.

17. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

Those Henry youth rifles are some really good guns. They will last many years!

18. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

I bought a Marlin break-off barrel .22lr rifle. It is a small rifle, semi-auto with a 7-round magazine. I got it just for plinking. It would be great for a boy's starter rifle. Check em out:

Marlin Firearms: Autoloading Rifles : 70PSS

Can be had for a VERY fair price too.

19. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

One of the New Savage .22 youth rifles with the accu-trigger are Very nice and well built. I won one at the NRA Banquet last year.
    Rich

20. rckymtnboy

rckymtnboy G&G Newbie

If you have the money for it, that Henry is a great choice. Keep in mind that your kid is probably going to be handing down the same gun to his kid one day...you want it to be something good, right? That Marlin that Crazy Ivan recommended sounded good too.

If you don't have the budget for a Henry, those Crickets are great first guns too, and now they come in all sorts of variations. They're just not the highest of quality. Bolt action is definitely the way to go for a first gun. It forces them to think about each shot. There's another single shot .22 out there made by the Rogue Rifle Company
    out of Lewiston, Idaho. It's called the Chipmunk. Here's a review of it on Gunblast.com:
    Rogue Rifle Company’s "Chipmunk" Youth Rifles

This is the one I bought for my nephew in .17HMR. He was frustrated shooting my old Stephens bolt action .22 because his arms were too short for it and it was very awkward, not to mention unstable. The Chipmunk was a perfect fit and he's into shooting more than ever. Not saying you should get a chipmunk, just keep in mind comfort for your kid. It will make a world of difference for him if he has a good fitting rifle.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted