Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I don't know if I'd have taken this shot as I would be afraid it was some sort of protected type of animal. Or a DNR sting.......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Tue, Nov. 19, 2002

Hunter bags rare deer
Piebald buck taken near Claremont
By Scott Waltman
American News Writer

Aberdeen's Brett Freeman didn't initially know the deer he downed late Sunday afternoon was much different than those he had shot during previous hunting seasons.

From 100 yards away, the auto shop supervisor could make out the deer's silhouette and knew it was a buck, so he fired. His first shot spun the deer around, his second downed it. When he approached the deer, he could see its body was peppered with white spots and its legs and hooves were completely white.

"It's like a palomino horse, kind of," said Freeman about his kill, which occurred on the second day of the state's deer hunting season. "I know there's a name for it, but I don't know what the heck they call it."

Local wildlife conservation officer Bill Antonides knows. Such deer are called piebald deer. He said they're quite rare and that the white legs, hooves and spots across the body are caused by a genetic inconsistency.

Freeman described the deer as "half albino," but knew it wasn't a true albino because the bulk of its body was brown and its eyes weren't pink.

Antonides said piebald deer aren't as uncommon as albinos, but reports of them are few and far between.

The most unusual aspect of the deer, to Freeman, was its white hooves. It's a feature the 25-year-old has never seen in 13 years of deer hunting.

"You hold them up to the light and they're transparent," he said.

Freeman shot the deer late in the day on his grandfather's farm about a mile and a half west of Claremont. He was hunting with his brothers.

The deer had to be gutted so its meat could be processed, but Freeman kept the coat, legs and head. He said he's probably going to have the head mounted, something he wouldn't have done if not for the unusual white spots. One of his brothers is going to try to make something, perhaps a gun or hat rack, from the legs and hooves.

"I got pretty lucky," Freeman admits. "We didn't get anything the first day."

Sunday, though, was more successful as Freeman got his buck and his brothers got does.

The buck sported an eight-point rack with four points on each antler, making it the largest one Freeman's ever shot and rounding out his deer hunting season in unusual fashion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An Appaloosa deer????

;)

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,962 Posts
Wonder if it had a saddle and bridle? :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
DO,DO,DO,DO,DO,DO,DO,

wierrd one, never heard of it, but i don't know lotsa stuff either. thanks Bud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts