close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brake fluid?????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ltcboy, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Hey guys---

I read in another thread in the Turk mauser section about this guy using brake fluid to clean out the really bad bores that have years of crap built up on them-- would'nt this ruin the finish? Have any of you heard of this trick, or have you used it on the Garand?? I would be sort of apprehensive to do this.

Ltcboy

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I've heard of it,never used it myself,think I'll stick with #9.

3. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Itchboy,
    I don't know about brake FLUID, but I have heard that many use brake CLEANER on their bores with good results.... and yes, it will take the finish off of the wood!!!!!!
    I would not be afraid of using it on the bores, but I would definitely remove the stock if it were MY rifle.
    IF YOU USE BRAKE CLEANER, BE SURE TO USE IT OUT OF DOORS AND AWAY FROM FLAMES OR POSSIBLE IGNITION!!!

Jeffro (Jeff)

4. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Itchboy,
    We have cases of brake CLEANER in our team room. It is the best stuff in the world for getting rid of carbon buildup. Our guns are parkerized and it has never harmed the finish. since the garand is parkerized I see no problem, I would keep it away from the wood tho. Good Shooting! Eric

5. I bought an old Turk Mauser and I used gasoline soaked patches to get all of the built up crap that was in the bore. This cleaned all of it out in minutes. I did this in a very well ventilated area. I just might try brake cleaner next time I shoot it because the surplus ammo I have is corrosive. Don't think I would try it in the Garand, I use this stuff called Cleanzoil for the bore. Cleans and lubricates it pretty good.

Ltcboy

6. Gentlemen, that was me posting the use of brake fluid. Good stuff, non corrosive, excellent for first time milsurp cosmoed cleanup. I use it as a primary cleaner after using corrosive ammo and before using RB-17 ( @ $20 for 1 1/2 pint). Pour it in, brush it, pour more in brush it do that till it gets the crap out so you can do a final cleaning. If you can get RB-17 out of Houston Texas you WILL NEVER use #9 again. It would take 3-4 days after firing corrosive ammo for #9 to get barrel clean. RB-17 only one day. Then I found "CORROSION X" does a fantastic job of rust prevention inside and out side the barrel. No vested intrest.

It works for me. Ever tried SPIT ???

Last edited: Apr 24, 2002
  7. Full Metal--

When I shoot corrosive ammo I mix 1/2 water with 1/2 ammonia as a solution to neutralize the bad effects caused by shooting that type. I do this right at the range after I am done shooting. Has always worked for me getting the bores clean. I then use regular bore cleaner to finish up the cleaning and the lubricating. Do you you the brake FLUID or the brake CLEANER as the other guy said he uses? If you get any on the wood wont it ruin it??

Ltcboy

8. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

How about sweets 7.62?

9. What is sweets 7.62?

10. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

a Newbie wants to know which ammo is corrosive? The M-2 Ball from CMP? (took only 10 days delivery).

11. Ammonia and water should work on any corrosive ammo to neutalize the bad affects in the bore. You have to do it immediatley after your done shooting.

12. Haven't really spilled any brake fluid on the wood that "I can't recall". I've used brake cleaner before in barrels after using barke fulid first. I have gotten awy from the cleaner though because it totally strips the oil from the metal and rust can set in. Before stripping the old bluing, use brake cleaner to degrease parts before using rust and blue remover.:fuss:

13. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

Sweet's 7.62 solvent removes fouling copper/propellant it has ammonia in it was just wondering if it will neutalize corrosive affects of the ammo....

14. All I know is that I carry ammonia and water in a spray bottle and after I done shooting I spray liberal amounts in the chamber, barrel, and muzzle. I have never had any problems in doing this. It neutralizes the corrosiveness instantly.

15. BenJ

BenJ G&G Newbie

One of the easiest and least expensive things to use to properly clean after firing corrosive ammo is automotive windshield washer fluid. No foolin'! It has ammonia to counteract the corrosive salts that eat at the barrel, it has alcohol to evaporate quickly, and it contains rust inhibitors. What more could you ask for? No, on second thought, forget I asked that question. Really, though, it works well, but use a regular bore cleaner and oil afterwards. Learned this from an old black powder shooter.

16. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    i also heard windex, mabe here. for corrosive. I know brake fluid can be pretty caustic, can take paint off in some cases.

17. John Mclean

John Mclean G&G Newbie

Disolving salts

Not trying to contradict anyone here but what everyone is trying to accomplish here is...(1)break the bond between the salts and your barrel surface. (2)remove it completly from your barrel. No solvent based cleaner will work as well as any water based cleaner, because salt is water soluable. Amonia is a decent cleaner but a stronger detergent cleaner that is water based would be better. I have tried everything over the years, and the best that I have found is Simple Green (no I dont own stock). If you dont believe me try it, its cheap!

18. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    makes sense, simple green is a surfactant, breaking the bond between the substrate and foreign material.