Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Walmart yesterday to pick up some 22 shells. 22 shells only, thats it. Well I get there and see a new Mossberg 30-06 bolt action with a synthetic stock for only $240. I never heard Mossberg making new centerfire bolt action rifles. And of course their website makes no mention of it.
It isn't the prettiest rifle you have ever seen that's for sure. Simple and rugged. It has a matte black barrel that wasn't a bull-barrel, but was a lot thicker than most sporter rifle barrels and had a nice deep crown at the tip.
I am guessing heavy sporter? The trigger was not to bad either, about 4 1/2 pounds I am guessing and broke very clean.
Anyway I ended up putting it on lay-away.
Yet I have looked and looked for some info on it but I have found ziltch.
Which leads me to believe they have once again imported and slapped their name on it (Plinkster anyone? :...: ).
Does Anyone know anything about this gun?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My only lead is a non photo Mossberg 243 bolt action on www.gunsamerica.com
It may just be a M-800 B?
I can't go look at it for at least a week now, because I am going out of town for the week.
Sence it's not on their website I am suspicious. I don't think it could be so new that they haven't put it there yet.
But does anyone know if Mossberg is importing rifles other than the Plinkster, and putting their name on them?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine. I have a feeling you're right about them doing the same as with the plinkster.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,359 Posts
Hmmm . . . me being a dedicated Mossy enthusiast, this interests me! I fondly remember the old M800 and M810 rifles, but they are sadly long gone.

I'll have to check the other website - Mossberg International.

PAUSE . . .

Nope - nada there about it. I'll have to ask the counter chick next time at Wally's - maybe it's in their order book, if not in the display.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't know that about the M800 BigDog. I knew that they made some bolt actions a long time ago.
I looked at the order book and I saw no sign of it.
Or on the Mossberg international site either.
To be honest the action looked as I said, simple. No polish, no fuss. I didn't really care for the saftey either, it looked kinda cheesey. But I thought hey a brand new 30-06 for $240....Not a bad deal. If it didn't perform I could always trade it off too.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,359 Posts
Definitely not a Mossberg, but it looks like a pretty nice rifle - especially for the price.
Got a gunshow this next month, but the month after, I might see if Wally's has one or can order it - just in time for hunting season! :cool:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True.
I believe it to be what this Mossberg is labeled as. Looks the same to me. But from what I read it is a very capable and functionalble rifle.
E.R Shaw, to my possible embarresment, I have never heard of. Have you?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally found the model number. It's a Mossberg 100ATR. Aparently they haven't been out for long.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
I just got a email from Mossberg saying " There is a new model Mossberg ATR Bolt Action Rifle availible in 2 calibers .270 and 30-06 matte finish black synthetic. These models are currently availible at you local Wal-Mart, and will appear in our 2005 catalog."
Well, I still might be mistaken, but I still think this rifle is made by Charter Arms. They don't seem to feature it in their current catalog, they have only pistols. But It looks exactly like it. We will have to wait and see I guess....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I myself picked up the 270 version of this Mossberg 100ATR and im impressed. Now I have compaired it o the pictures of the Charter 200 FieldKing And it does look exactly alike. The only diferances I see is the bold face and the fact its not stainless. It seems it is the rugged adiition basically. Has anyone else purchased this rifle here? And if so how has it performed for you?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome Flyride.
I thought it looked almost the same to me. How does she shoot? What kind of groups can you get?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I've been looking at them as well, the only drawback that I see so far is the plastic triggerguard but several other (more expensive!)rifles have them as well. I will probably be buying one pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I saw one the other day at my local wally world, it looked kinda rough but if they shoot, well who cares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After getting my new Mossberg 100ATR scoped in i used remmington corelocks and at 75 yards it shot three shot groups within one square inch. I tested it 2 times in three shot groups with 2-3 mins between each shot to let the barrel cool. Each time the group was the size of a nickle maybe a bit larger. Then again im fairly new with rifles and it could be my marksmanship. Anyway I am extreemly happy with its performance and do no regret buying it at all. I feel it is way underpriced!
So all in all if you want a rugged gun that will get the job done and not a pretty little gun to hang on your wall and never get it in the sticks than I would recommend this gun.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Flyride said:
After getting my new Mossberg 100ATR scoped in i used remmington corelocks and at 75 yards it shot three shot groups within one square inch. I tested it 2 times in three shot groups with 2-3 mins between each shot to let the barrel cool. Each time the group was the size of a nickle maybe a bit larger. Then again im fairly new with rifles and it could be my marksmanship. Anyway I am extreemly happy with its performance and do no regret buying it at all. I feel it is way underpriced!
So all in all if you want a rugged gun that will get the job done and not a pretty little gun to hang on your wall and never get it in the sticks than I would recommend this gun.
I looked at one at Wally World and passed. But, seems like it is shooting pretty good for you. To me, your accuracy seems about right for a production hunting rifle. Many people spend a lot more to get about that same accuracy (me included ;) )

·
Registered
40 Posts
re:

ok guys, i just started working in the sporting goods section at our local wally world. we have the mossberg. it comes in 270 and 3006. the model is the 100 atr. as a mossberg fan myself i need to get as much info on this gun also as to help my customers. anyone have info out there on these things

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rwelfley- Sorry man, all the posts listed here is all whave found so far. But like I said earlier, Mossberg will have the 100ATR in next years catalog. But for now, they seem hush-hush.
I personally think they are going for the same market Remington is with the 710. A solid and cheap shooter that performs well.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts