Brass Catchers

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by chesterwin, Sep 8, 2020.

1. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I'm hoping the fellers can help me with recommendations to save some research time. Interested in acquiring for handguns rifles and shotguns.

ChaZam and Ten Man like this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    The ones for rifles work O.K., depending on the rifle, the ammo, and the placement of the brass catcher on the rifle.

Example - The one I use has a Velcro retention strap that wraps around the hand guard of my AR10, and if placed properly to catch the brass, it causes a jam about every 4th or 5th round. I have had a similar experience with some of the 5.56 rifle/ammo combinations.

I do not know of any reliable brass catchers that attach to pistols or shotguns.

I think they are fine for Target practice and shooting drills, but I would NOT use one in an actual live fire situation that required 100% function reliability.

3. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I made one out of pvc and a collapsible laundry bag (from dollar store. It’s adjustable up and down.

shell catcher 1.jpg

shell catcher 2.jpg

shell catcher 3.jpg

jwrauch, Ten Man and ChaZam like this.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Jim, I ordered this one and at the time it was on sale and cheaper on the Caldwell website than anyplace else. If you are shooting from a bench and depending how a certain firearm ejects you can just lay it on the bench beside you or on the ground possibly if shooting prone. . Otherwise you can mount it on a camera tripod and position it as need to catch most of the ejected casings. Some other website could be cheaper now so check around.
    https://www.caldwellshooting.com/range-gear/brass-catchers/brass-trap/122560.html

jwrauch and Jim Bridger like this.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

blaster and chesterwin like this.
  6. chesterwin

I don't need one then. Thanks feller.

Ten Man likes this.
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    The better way to go is to wear gloves while loading cartridges into magazines, if you get my meaning.;)

MRT NH 72, K75RT and rando like this.
  8. chesterwin

I'm not sure I understand. I don't know what a sabot is either. Have you heard that term?

9. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
  10. chesterwin

No chit. LOL

Ten Man likes this.
  11. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

a sabot is a plastic carrier for the bullet.
    for example you place a 22 caliber bullet in a 30 caliber sabot and fire the round.
    the sabot breaks away and the 22 bullet carries on.
    they also make them for using 44 caliber bullets in a 50 caliber muzzle loader, 45 in a 58 etc. and many tanks use them.
    they have advantages and dis advantages.

Ten Man and chesterwin like this.
  12. chesterwin

I think I've heard of these used in tanks with depleted uruanium.

K75RT and Ten Man like this.
  13. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

A sabot as used mostly muzzle loaders and shotgun slugs is nothing more than a thicker shot cup so to speak in a shotgun. I have actually made them out of plastic tubing that fit tightly inside a 12 gauge shot shell and then fit tightly around a cast 45 (.458)caliber bullet. That gives a round similar to the Hornady and Remington factory slug. The 45 caliber bullet I load weighs 340 grains, much lighter than a 1 ounce slug which is 437 grains. It speeds the round up to over 2,000 fps which is much faster than the traditional slug and much better trajectory. I actually just put my plastic pipe sabots inside a regular 12 gauge shot cup, but I split them with a little chop saw so they fall off the bullet when they leave the barrel.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Ten Man and chesterwin like this.
  14. Get Out

Get Out G&G Evangelist

Get a large butterfly net with and telescopic handle and make a 2x4 base.

Huey Rider likes this.
  15. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Huey Rider likes this.
  16. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

For my AR15 & AR10s I use one of these brass catchers. They are the best, I have never lost a piece of brass yet.
    https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/ar-platform-short-frame-throw-lever-mount-brass-catcher/
    For pistol I use a brass catcher that straps over my fore arm it looks about like this one only straps to my arm.
    brass catcher pistol.png

For all other guns like my AKs & others I use a mesh basket like this.
    I just lay it on the side & put my ammo box in it to hold it down to the shooting table.
    https://www.amazon.com/PRO-MART-Del...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M4E7JC8HB37P0QXYEY33

For shotgun I don't reload them but if I did I would just bend over & pick them up, or use a magnet. Most of the bottoms of the cases are steel not brass.

Ten Man likes this.
  17. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    Every piece of brass will be laying right at your feet. When I shoot this from a rest they are all laying right on top of the table. Shell catcher.jpg

BigEd63 and Junction15 like this.
  18. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    Semi auto shotguns shooting singles for trap...

shell catcher wire3.jpg

shell catcher wire2.jpg
    Piano wire

Junction15 likes this.