Brazil Discovers Uncontacted Indian Tribe in Amazon Jungle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LarryO1970, May 30, 2008.

1. RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil — One of Brazil's last uncontacted Indian tribes has been spotted in the far western Amazon jungle near the Peruvian border, the National Indian Foundation said Thursday.

There are more than 100 uncontacted tribes worldwide, most of them in Brazil and Peru, the group said in a statement.
    "These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Survival director Stephen Corry said.
    "The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct."

Now, some ask "But, did they want to be found?"

I ask, "were they lost?"

2. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    Didn't someone have to make contact with these tribes to count them and to know that they exist?

3. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

Cannot fault your logic, sir!

Like, if somebody's postulating the number of missing Indian tribes around the world, how do you arrive at 100? When you have an unknown quantity, unless you already know the quantity, you'll still have an unknown quantity... There might only be 3 tribes missing - but to inflate their importance, this group says 100!

Great BS-sniffing, Rambo!

Oh, and great question, Larry!

4. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Yeah. By contact they mean actually person to person contact. Seeing them from the air isn't considered being in contact with them. Another way they could estimate the number is to take the given area a tribe controls and then the area unexplored and divide the total area by the amount of land generally needed by a tribe. Not accurate, but a possible way of doing it. Anyway, from the looks of those tribes, they were a tad bit hostile...don't think I want to contact them myself. They're perfectly happy by themselves.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

This same thing happened a few years back. Turned out, the 'lost tribe' was simply some modern members who dressed the part and populated a small jungle village to shuck the visiting scientists. Good scam, til later they found a 'lost tribe' guy at his real job in town.... :09:

Maybe these lost tribes are just 'flower children' who "turned-on and dropped out"..... :)

6. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

I am sure there are a number of "uncontacted" indians tribe in the amazonian rainforest, it is a huge geographical area. Scientist continue to discover new spieces of insect, animal and plant life there.

I wonder who the first idjit will be to try to enter their territory to "educate and civilize" them. Whoever it be deserves everything they get from those people. They should be left alone, unmolested, unifluenced and uncontacted until they deem otherwise, even to the point of extinction should they so choose.

We all know some "missionary" or such will make a foolish attempt to "better their lives".

I wonder if we could get Gore, Obama and H.R. Clinton to make personal diplomatic visits .

7. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    I've got one of those tribes in my back yard. I know they're there, I just can't see them. As of now, they're uncontacted.

8. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    mabe they will let us drill for oil

9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

do they have a giant gorilla ?
    and live on skull island?

or hopefully
    it is a tribe of buxom amazons led by SHEENA QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

This is getting interesting...a space ship has landed on mars, over 400 million miles away, and we're still exploring jungles in South America looking for lost civilizations. Seems that the lost tribesmen aren't worth as much as the $750,000,000 space odyssey to mars, according to scientists priorities.

11. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Please take me there! :D

12. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I would agree, except we really can't do anything to them, or else they would be worthless. Once they have contact with civilization, they are no longer unique. Investing time and money into a lost civilization would provide very new information, since we have a fairly good grasp on the evolution of the human race (good enough that this wouldn't have done anything).

Mars on the other hand could provide clues to mysteries of the red planet, origins of life, and a better picture of how our solar system was formed.

By the way, they only made contact by a fly over. They responded by trying to shoot down the chopper: Helicopter photos represent first contact with Amazon Indian tribe - Times Online

I wonder what they thought of it...I can't imagine.

13. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Ok, I give up. If they knew they were flying over the area, how would they know it was an uncharted, unknown area if they knew where they were when they saw them?

14. Was that a Big Foot standing at the corner of one of the hutts ?

15. :shocked: Billy, this lost area is beginning to look like a great place to visit, lets get Texas Pilot, or someone else to take us there......Hey Larry, can you fly a plane? If so, can you take us there?

(click on picture below)
    V

http://www.spider-bob.com/heroes/indi/Sheena.htm

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  16. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Meh, they'll have 'em working in Geico commercials before long, just like the cavemen.

17. Ya think maybe they want to remain uncontacted.... thats why they live in the jungle

18. I did'nt zoom in on the pictures but it looked like they were throwing spears at the helicopter LMAO !!!