Breaking in a new rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by soulracer, May 30, 2008.

1. soulracer

soulracer Guest

I am aware that I should clean between rounds, etc. But, what is the best method..Would a brush really be required on a barrel that has never been fired before? Or, since it is new would the ammo cause more potential damage if not cleaned thoroughly between rounds..
    Here is my plan..Take to the range after a preliminary cleaning with swabs, patches, etc. Fire rounds with a simple swab or bore snake cleaning between each round..plan on doing this between each round for about 20 rounds..
    Is that acceptable, or should I do a more thorough cleaning between rounds at the range.?
    This is my first NEW rifle so I want to make sure to do it correctly and prevent any possible damage to my new investment..
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts..

2. When I bought a new centerfire rifle I cleaned the barrel and I also used the brush being careful not to exit the muzzle.
    I went to where I Deer hunt and shot it 3 times and then hid the gun and took a short walk because I wanted the barrel to be cool while I was sighting it in.
    I did this procedure several times until the scope/gun was zeroed in.

When I got home I cleaned the barrel squeaky clean with solvent, patches and brush.

I went back to the woods and tested different ammo. I shot over 30 rounds through it.
    And it took forever because I let the barrel cool after I shot 5 rounds at a time.
    I also took a 22 magnum with me I had bought to entertain me while the barrel cooled.

When I got back home I cleaned the barrel again. This rifle shot best with Remington Core Lokt's I found.
    I bought another box of Core Lokt's and went back to the woods where I shoot and shot 12 rounds and some of the other 2 brands of ammo I had bought earlier.

When I got home and started cleaning the barrel it wasn't Dirty !!!!!!!

I contacted Mooseman 684 about this and his reply was...It sounds like you've got it broke in.

The rifle is very accurate and I now beleive alot of the hype you read about barrel break- in, does do some good.

Though I didn't follow the standard procedures of shoot 1 or 3 time's clean and repeat, if anything I accomplished keeping the barrel from fouling .

And too the rifle, lucky me was accurate out of the box anyway.

I have a friend thats builds custom rifles that swears by the procedure your inquireing about.
    And what I've read on the internet it deffinatly worth doing.
    A.H

3. Just clean it good with patches or a pull through with a dry boresnake and fire is some. Really cleaning ain't nessary between rounds for breaking in the gun. Just remember to clean it when you get home. But you can swab it with a little rem oil and a patch between rounds. But when I say a little I mean little!

4. I suppose it depends a lot calibre, type of shooting and how fussy you are.

My New rifles always got cleaned after every shot for the first 20 or so, then every 4-5 for the next 50 rounds, after that usually once every 20 rounds if possible and at the end of every shooting day.
    I'm also of the mind that one should not turn the Brush in the barrel or pull back into the bore after you have exited it. One pass, breech to muzzle.

Is there a correct way, I don't really know but Each to his own.

.22lr of course is a different matter altogether, I don't clean mine that often. (but I don't shoot them competitively)

5. telkev

telkev G&G Newbie

Most rifle manufactures do not lap their barrels after they button rifle them like the premium barrel makers do. Therefore, the rifling in those barrels have sharp edges to them. The purpose of cleaning your rifle after every shot is to remove the copper that is deposited in the barrel by these sharp edges of the rifling with a good copper removing bore cleaner. With a good tight fitting patch, you can actually feel the rifling smooth out after every shot and cleaning. Most premium barrels require less than 10 shots for barrel break-in, while others usually require 10-20 shots. If you do not remove the copper build-up from your barrel, it will shorten your barrel life and cause irratic accuracy problems in the future.

6. If you go to the Armalite web site, there is instructions on how to break in their barrels. I use JB Bore Shine for the first 50 rounds teh a nylon brush for the next 50 rounds. I don't think breaking in a barrel helps accuracy,it does season it and cleaning is much easier. Mt AR-10, Colt Match Target, and M1A, were all broken it by the method recommended by Armalite using JB. All three guns were tack drivers right out of the box and still are.

7. Excellent post's guys !!!!!

I've wondered about how often to clean my 22 rimfires and if these same procedures would help prevent fouling and maybe improve accuratcy ?

I'm ashamed to admit it but I hardly ever clean the barrel's of my 22's.
    I do clean the outside and washout the receiver's with liquid wrench and then compressed air and then Break Free LCP. I have a tendency to be lazy when it comes to cleaning the 22 barrels.
    Altough right now the barrels are clean in the 5 22's I own.
    Wished I knew how often to clean them.

8. I reckon that's the million dollar question!

Mine only get cleaned every blue moon but I don't shoot competitively with them.

9. Aaronb2245

Aaronb2245 G&G Addict

I have never cleaned my .22lr...... and will probably never do so. My hp rifles however I clean frequently with a bore brush and some patchs with the aide of a little lube. I don't believe that you need to clean in between rounds when breaking in a new rifle, however I'm sure it's not a bad idea.

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I have to watch myself as I love cleaning them as much as shooting them. I think we all tend to overclean our rifle.

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I seldom clean rimfires as they are well buffered and low velocity so there is little leading or copper transfer because barrel heat and friction is much lower than centerfires.I do clean every shot for centerfires with new barrels but have seen it done with just cleaning between shooting sesions and since it wasnt my firearm,dont know if there was a difference.All I know is mine seemed to shoot tighter groups and definitely cleaned better than theirs.I have taken used rifles that didnt shoot the best and cleaned the copper out and then used a breakin system of cleaning every shot for 20 rds and improved the accuracy.I believe breakin works for me,others can do as they please. sam.

12. I must be the opposite then, I hate cleaning them but it is chore which has to be done. I also hate cleaning & polishing my vehicles! Come to think of it, I'm not very fond of housework or gardening either!

13. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

The 22lr is a comparitivly slow bullet and is almost always made of soft lead. Cleaning the barrel is important to reduce "leading" to maintain accuracy.

The reason that the bores on most dirty 22s have less tendency to pit is because lead does not rust in the regular sense of the word. It will oxidize, leaving a hard white powder material. Lead Oxide can be quite abrasive, so for that reason the bore should be cleaned after shooting.

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Can you substantiate that?All articles I read and all mfg,s tell you to clean bores very seldom if at all.As to leading of bores,The low speed of bullets means low friction?heat causing less lead to be shed,causing less leading,but the dominant factor is the buffering,either wax(the best)or copper coating.Mfg,s do not reccomend frequent cleaning because the riflings are only half as deep as centerfires and thequantity of buffering is extreme.Frequent and severe cleaning of .22lr barrels will lead to innacuracy.There is a big difference in using a swab with a powder/carbon solvent and going in with copper/lead solvents and metal brushes and trying to put the barrel back to factory condition.Vigorus abrasive cleaning will wear the bore out. sam.

15. Mine get cleaned once in a while. Usually before I take them out hunting or something. Usually not more than once a year though! Because I don't shoot them a lot.

16. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    as a rimfire benchrester, i clean my expensive barrels only when accuracy falls off. only real poor barrels will lead in a rimfire. good rimfire ammo is also designed with a shoulder on the bullet that pushes fouling from the previous round out of the barrel- ever notice that nice black ring around the bullet hole on a target when shooting rimfires! actions get cleaned every time they are shot.

17. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

You can't go wrong following the one posted by Savage:

Savage Arms

Note this is for centerfire only. I think a rimfire only needs one pull with a boresnake when new, and then once ever 300 rounds or so after that. Then it may be worthwhile to push a patch down it every 2000 rounds to see how things look.

Ron