• Are you freeking NUTS??

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a double-program in mind.

1. Redheaded German Shepards. (Golden Retriever/German Shepard crosses)

2. Harlequin Rottweilers. (Oddball natural coloration)

The retriever/shep cross creates a percentage of Redheaded German Shepards.
I imagine with time and effort, I could get this standardized as it's own breed,
much as the Albino Shepards my great-uncle bred until he passed.
The cross with retrievers seems to give a more well-rounded air/trail scenting dog.
Instead of doing just one very well, Brandy can do BOTH very well.
So the Focus here is making brightly-colored Search & Rescue dogs which dominate the air/trail scent categories.

Now as for the Harrlequin Rotty's...occasionally one pops out of a litter, many people, since they are an oddball coloration are rather barbaric and tend to put them down as being non-optimal.

I find the coloration very pleasing to the eye, and it also helps to mask the fact that the dogs are Rotts, until you really look closely at them ;)

So...getting a few Harlequins and starting to breed them would probably
be the easiest way program, but probably just as difficult as the other. Add in the fact that I'll be training them for K-9 SAR/Working Dog, and it's a tough program by any means. Strangely, the Harley's LOVE water...and I've trained Alex for Water Rescue via red cans & Tracking/Corpse Retreival.

The other headache would be having both on the same land...and trying to prevent any cross-polination from occuring...LOL

But as it's been many years since hanging out with my great-uncle, I've forgotten a great amount of information, and will have to dedicate some serious study to the issues of these two programs.

So...in light of all that...should I focus specifically on ONE program, or be bold and try for two??

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh, I forgot to mention...just because I'm slightly nuts, I train in Klinzhai :D

A person might learn German to avoid police dogs...NOBODY but Geeks know Klinzhai ;)
Plus, it sounds like German to the untrained ear...
And geeks have better sense than to attempt burglary...

And those geeks would also die laughing to hear what I use for Bite commands...HEHEHE
Not only do the commands tell them HOW to bite, but Where ;)
Nothing worse than a Nut Crunch :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well if you can afford to do the both option then by all means do both, seems like the results will be something ta brag about by any means.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've bred hunting dogs for going on 20 years, and the most important piece of advice I can give you, is breed for function, first. It is hard enough getting that consistent. Once you have a healthy line, that performs the required function, then refine the form. But if your breed for function first, it will produce a "form" that is well suited for that function without much left to do.

If you start out breeding for looks first, you will have a hard time getting there.....

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the redheaded sheps, it's both for fuction and look.
The dogs tend to be shorter than the usual GS by about 6".
Probably due to the Golden Lab mix.

For the Harlequin Rotts, it seems that since it's a genetic abberation, much like Harlequin Great Danes...
it can be controlled and cultivated easily. The side benefit that they seem to enjoy water, where most Rotts I've
run into usually avoid swimming...and Alex REALLY loves swimming...almost like a Newfie.

So far I've only seen three of each variant type, one of which of each I own.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I love Shepherds and Rotts both. I had a Rott growing up and she loved the water as much as any lab I have ever owned. I have owned two German Shepherds now and really do love the breed. When I was in the Army I worked closely the K-9 units and that's where I really fell in love with the Shepherd breeds.
I am a bit biased towards using a pure breed for a working dog as you know the temperament of the breed and it's predictability. When mixing a breed there is a chance that you get the best of both breeds or you get the worst. I also think it would be difficult to sell the breed as an unknown and unregistered breed. If you look at these "designer" dog breeds that are running around nowadays, they are mainly for pets and not licensed breeds. The Labradoodle is a very popular breed and has been around for a little while and yet it still hasn't been accepted by the AKC. As I am sure you are aware with your experience it would be a tough path to go down to make a living venturing down that path.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep, my great-uncle had a pretty good side biz setup with the White GS's...there's a niche market there.
But he got his real money making Moonshine...LOL

Hrm, wonder if I should be a corn farmer too... :D

The only bad thing I've run across with Brandy is, that she's a bit of a wimp, and very submissive to family.

Alex is ALL Rott...I was really glad that I was able to socialize him early. He shows off the best traits of the breed.
The only oddballs being his coloration & his love for swimming.
I consider his one bad habit to be an actual benefit.
He HATES drugs...seems to be a natural reaction-as I didn't train him for anti-drug work, but the smell of smoked
drugs pretty much makes him wanna chomp on a bad guy. Even at a young age, he exibitted a tendancy to go
after weed & crack addicts. Since those type of folks aren't allowed on the property anyway...works for me ;)
While I'll walk Brandy off-property without a leash, Alex is required to have one off the grounds, as I'm the
only thing that can stop him from tearing up a druggie. If the circumstances are right, I'll let him :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts