Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I found an old shotgun in pretty good condition. However, the firing pin has sheared off at the breech, so the gun is inoperable. I'd like to replace the firing pin. However, since it's an old gun, I realize it may be impossible to find a part. Here's all the information on the gun itself.

20 gauge
single shot, breaks open via thumb lever located behind the breech
external hammer
Bridge Gun Company, made in USA
S#: A971648

breech has the words "20 gauge choke" inscribed, but the barrel is not choked; I assume this might be archaic terminology for bore

the buttstock has a thick red rubber pad on it marked "NOSHOC; patented June 6, 1922"

all the screws on the gun are flathead. the slots in the screws are also slightly on the thin side, which makes it hard to fit a screw driver in just right.

thanks!

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
What may really have to happen

Given the age you mention, it is likely you will need a gunsmith to disassemble your gun, remove the firing pin, and fabricate a new one. However, this is not a bad situation in that the smith can examine the other components (spings, triggers, etc.) then advise you as to other parts that may need replacing. Also, a smith will have the items
(drop in gauge or micrometer) to give you the bore
diameter thus giving you the choke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
removing the firing pin was actually fairly easy. there was a tiny little screw on top of the breech, and after i took that out, the firing pin came sliding out fairly easily with the hammer back.

as an additional question: the breech is fairly thick, and like i said the metal is in good condition, no pitting, a tiny amount of surface rust here and there. is it possible to shoot modern ammo out of this thing?

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
removing the firing pin was actually fairly easy. there was a tiny little screw on top of the breech, and after i took that out, the firing pin came sliding out fairly easily with the hammer back.
as an additional question: the breech is fairly thick, and like i said the metal is in good condition, no pitting, a tiny amount of surface rust here and there. is it possible to shoot modern ammo out of this thing?
If it's a thick breech and tapers from there you may have a black powder gun, which wouldn't be safe to shoot with smokeless. Modern powders burn slower, so that pressure actually builds as the shot moves down the barrel. BP shotguns had thick breeches because it burns faster, so the pressure is greatest at the breech and diminishes as it pushes the shot down the barrel. Or so I've been told...

I wouldn't count on the whole gun being the age of the butt pad; I'd do some research and make sure.

edit: I just did a quick google search. One site says bridge shotguns were made from the twenties to the forties, but another says they were made starting in the 1890's. Does yours say "belgian laminated steel" anywhere on it? if so, it's strictly black powder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, there's no indication of what sort of metal it is. it LOOKS like a straight steel barrel, not laminated or damascus-like in any way.

·
Wonderment :)
33,567 Posts
basic info.

Goggle "Bridge Gun co".
Shapegih Hardware co. had these built by a number of different co. from 1920-1940
WiKi answers.

follow up when you can

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Then he's got a Hardware store gun. Meaning back in the old'in days there were a few gun makers that built and sold guns to different stores and most of the time they would put the Hardware, General Stores name on them.
They have very little value as a collector and I suggest you take to a Gun Smith before shooting it.
A.H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alrighty. thanks for the information. does anybody know a good gunsmith in the chattanooga TN area? i'd like to take it to somebody with a good rep, if at all possible.

·
Wonderment :)
33,567 Posts
search

dovedecending: Goggle a search in Chattanooga, when something comes up; check them out. Leave the 'wallet' at home. Take said unit in and ask.

Ask for references and FOLLOW UP

Sir; I don't know diddly squat about your unit. Should it have value; don't allow a 'butcher' fix it.
Take with you a list of exactly what you want.
get as close to out the door pricing
get a written receipt of your unit being left
ask how long
be realistic and patient as need be

follow up and let us know what has happened

1 - 9 of 9 Posts