Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my understanding this rifle was chambered for several different rounds, 7.92x57,8x57, 8mm. is there a way to definitavely tell which rifle may be chambered for what round?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,489 Posts
"7.92x57,8x57, 8mm" Mauser are all the same thing.
This rifle was also chambered in 7X57 and 7.65X53. But the vast majority will be encountered in common 8mm Mauser.
My shooting buddy has one, in good condition - a bit banged up but not bad. It's a fair shooter. As with any rifle of this vintage, get a 'smith to check it over before shooting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What may be further clouding the issue is that Brno (Zbrojovka Brno) has also manufactured sporting rifles based on the Mauser 98 pattern for many decades. If you include the sporter Brno 98s, Brno has made rifles in virtually every caliber you can think of, including many of the "American" calibers like .30-06.

Brno's website:
http://www.zbrojovka.com/

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys, the reason i ask i got one for a present from my wife, the clerk sold her 7.9x54 ammo for itl. i know it will function in my turkish mauser, but i dont think so in this czech rifle.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey, psycho dad, did you mean to say that the clerk sold your wife some 7.9x57....(vice 7.9x54)...?

Assuming your Turk and 98/22 are both barreled with the later .323 bore (they should be), then the same ammo (7.9x57) should work in both rifles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your right james i should have typed 7.9x57, i have many military surplus rifles,,, to the point its hard to remember all the various ammo sizes. sometimes it drives me psycho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts