close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broken Tap!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by monte, Apr 28, 2002.

1. monte

monte G&G Newbie

Okay, here is a hard one, I was threading my turk mauser reciever for a scope mount, and the tap broke flush with the reciever. How do you get the broken tap out?

2. buttons

buttons G&G Newbie

broken tap removal

Go to a good hardware store and get what is called and EZ out. It is essentially a rugged bit that is built especially to bacak out broken taps. Good luck you will prevail.

3. Buttons, normally you would have to drill the tap first to use the easy out. Man that tool steel is hard to drill. But I wish you luck monte.

4. monte

monte G&G Newbie

none

Thanks for all the help guys!

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Another option to remove the broken tap

Monte:

I'll be surprised if you can drill into the "tool steel" tap. The steel in the broken tap will be just about as hard as the drill.

Another approach if the "easy out" doesn't work is to use a small center punch. Try "very lightly" striking the tap counterclockwise with a center punch. Keep plenty of lubricant (liquid wrench) on the area.

The smaller the tap diameter, the more difficult it will be to remove.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2002
  6. Take it to a gunsmith dude, get it done right, dont jerryrig it

7. monte

monte G&G Newbie

Hey guys I got it out, I was able to get at punch in and I pounded it out. The hole was destroyed, but that was no problem, I'm not going to be selling it anyway. But I did get the mount on and its straight, I did have to drill a new hole threw the mount and threw the reciever, but it all turned out okay. It looks nice!
    On this rifle I cut the barrel down on my lathe and re-crowned it at 24.75 inches and I turned down the bolt, . . . . I sportorized it. It looks nice though, I'm going to sight it in, in a couple of days.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Monte

:smash: