close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broomhandle Carbines

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 50 BMG, Mar 22, 2002.

1. 50 BMG

50 BMG G&G Newbie

Ok broomhandle gurus.. I have the opportunity to buy a really cool broomhandle carbine in 9mm. It is of post war manufacture and in excellent condition. It breaks down into 2 pieces, stock section and barrel/receiver. The bluing in very deep blue and the guy has put it in a fitted break-down shotgun type hard case. Very Classy... What do these things go for? Are they worth $2500 or so dollars?

2. Tony @ WCG

Tony @ WCG G&G Newbie

Ohio
    Is it of original German manufacture or is it a more recent clone? If it is one of the "Black Forest" copies, Fed Ord make or made over here by a gunsmith, that is too much money. If original...depending on condition and exact variety, it could be worth even more.

3. Tony @ WCG

Tony @ WCG G&G Newbie

Ohio
    The semi finished carbine in this picture is going thru a mock up assembly. It was made around 1996 for a guy in Indiana. Notice the finished carbine in the backgorund.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2002
  4. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

Since there was no original "carbine" model,I'd say it's worth somewhat less than an actual,original C-96.

5. 50 BMG

50 BMG G&G Newbie

The one that I am looking at is of original German manufacture. I believe that the guy said it was made in the last year or 2 of production for these types... It is a very pretty gun. Really cool how it breaks down... I just have no idea what they would be worth... I am not buying it for an investment, but I don't want to get taken either... Its's just one of those things...I HAVE TO HAVE IT!
    Thanks for the input...

6. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

There were several variations of the C-96,but not a carbine version.If someone's told you that,they were pulling your leg to get more money out of you.

7. 50 BMG

50 BMG G&G Newbie

Well, The darn thing has Mauser on it... Maybe I am confusing the issue, this is NOT a miltary gun... It is a commercial Mauser, post war, 9mm carbine. The gun cannot be fired without the stock attached because where the 2 connect makes the wrist area. If you tries to fire the gun without the stock the only thing you could hang on to would be the trigger guard. It is like the picture above only the pistol grip area is much more smooth and flows better... I'll see if I can get the guy to let me take a digital picture of it and get more info about it...

8. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

The Mauser C-96 was manufactured from 1896-1939.The vast majority were chambered in 7.63x25mm,though there were some 9mm versions-most notably the German army contract in WW1 for 150,000 units,known as the "Red Nine".All units had a 5.5" barrel,until the Treaty of Versailles at the end of WW1,which limited the Germans' weapon-producing capabilities.At that time,the "Bolo" was made-same basic gun,with 3.5" barrel and shortened grip.

A competent gunsmith can make a longer barrel and attach it to any handgun,add a stock,and call it a carbine.This is what you're looking at.Don't be fooled!Look at: http://www.recguns.com/lllC2m1.html

9. Kyrie

Kyrie G&G Newbie

Hi 50 BMG,

It’s impossible to know what it may be worth without knowing exactly what it is :)

There are a (very) few original Mauser C96 carbines. These were usually chambered for the 7.63x25 Mauser cartridge, and had 11 ¾ inch barrels. But they were a special order item and so may be found in any configuration. If the firearm you are looking at is one of these its value, in mint condition, would be in excess of $10,000.

Federal Ordnance made up a number of copies of the original C96 carbine. These were available in 7.63 Mauser or 9 mm Luger and had sixteen inch barrels. There were two variations of these - one had a detachable stock and the other did not. The detachable stock version was usually made up from a Schnellfeuer frame and had a detachable magazine. New, these sold for $2,500. If yours is marked “FedOrdâ€￾ it is one of these firearms.

Fed Ord also sold kits so folks could make their own “C96 carbinesâ€￾.

The PRC made up some copies of the C96 carbine, and these were imported and sold by Navy Arms. These were not especially well made firearms, were chambered for the 7.63 Mauser, and also had sixteen inch barrels. They had detachable stocks and sold for $300 NIB.

That’s the history - the ball is back in your court :)

Best regards,

Kyrie