Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent a "parts" broomhandle to the Gun Rack in Fla recently for relining/reboring/rebluing, and the replacement of worn parts and springs, plus the addition of a few new parts with the intention of making a decent looking shooter.

After a hot nitre bluing, the upper and lower turned out a beautiful Mauser blue-black. The barrel, however, came out the color of copper pipe. It looks freakish, like something you'd find sticking out of the back end of an East LA hot rod.

I had also included an original replacement lanyard ring for re-bluing and installation. What came back was the lanyard ring, untouched, and in its place on the grip was -- I kid you not -- a keychain ring. When I called, I was told that is was "really easy" to install it. When I asked why the letter of instruction I included hadn't been followed, I got silence as a response. The entire job also took double the time that was estimated, and I had to keep calling to get updates.

I can't say how this gun is mechanically, because the day after this monstrosity came back I took it to my local guy to be re-blued, and he thought he could rust-blue the gun to match. I tend to trust him, because he's re-finished three guns for me and has done a flawless job in each case. If he did machining I'd have had him do the whole job.

All in all, not what I would call a great experience. Just thought I'd share in case anyone is thinking of getting their Broom re-done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even more bad news

Yeah, the barrel relining is fine. However, it's the only part of the entire redo that went well.

I got the broomhandle back from my local guy, and he rust-blued the entire frame, including the barrell, so that the gun finally looks as it should. I took the gun out yesterday, and, using OWS new .30 Mauser ammo, tried to fire several clips.

When the gun DID cycle, the bolt would jam shut; at other times rounds wouldn't cycle the bolt, or they would misfeed, or stovepipe, and at other times the bolt wouldn't even fully return to re-chamber a new round.

Took it downstairs, stripped it, and to my utter amazment found that the springs hadn't been replaced!! This, even though this service is quoted as being part of the $175 package from The Gun Rack, and even though I had included brand new springs to be installed!!!! In short, ladies and gentlemen, I was HAD. I shelled out $175 for a reline and a terrible reblue, only to have to shell out an additional $45 to have it blued correctly, and only to find that I had to strip the gun to replace all the springs anyway!!! Part of that price includes test firing. THAT was never done, either.

So, they (1) failed to follow directions in my original letter that they had agreed to, (2) did a miserable job of re-finishing, and (3) charged me for work they didn't do, including checking to see that the gun was safe to use. And they call themselves gunsmiths???????????

My advice to anyone reading this post: DO *NOT* send YOUR GUN TO THE GUN RACK in Florida!!!!!!!

I'm contacting them tomorrow to obtain a partial refund. If they refuse, I'll file a complaint with the Attorney General in Florida.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts