Brownelle's Whiting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Hip's Ax, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Hip's Ax

Hip's Ax G&G Newbie

Since TCE is no longer available, what do you folks mix this stuff with? Acetone? Wish I had realized that Brownelle's had a TCE substitute, I would have ordered a quart. Thanks!

2. Stock Doc

Stock Doc Super Moderator

TSP Trisodium Phosphate. Local hardware stores. If not try Dirtex whcih is legal in all states I think. Mix it in a small cup like a paste with water and tooth brush it on and wait about 10 minutes and brush in some more. Wait 10 miutes and rinse with warm water. Be carfull rubbing around the cartouches. Let dry and steel wool or sand with 220. I have done so many and not had one complaint from a customer. Many are on these forums about 500 of them. The rest are done outside or from referals. Rick B

3. Hip's Ax

Hip's Ax G&G Newbie

Is TSP a powder? Is this used instead of Whiting? Thanks!

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc Super Moderator

Yep its a powder and I use it instead because it is quicker. I hear of many stories that Whitings takes to long. Rick B

5. You can also mix the whiting with methanol. It worked on a couple of stocks for me.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

Is this the same Hip's Ax from that other defunct board?

6. Hip's Ax

Hip's Ax G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info guys, I'm preparing for the arrival of my CMP 03 and am expecting a big cleanup. Yes Sir, as far as I know I am the one and only Hip's Ax <grin>. Actually, I am Hip and this is my Ax, my smallbore prone gun.

7. Well, glad you found your way over here! Let us know how the '03 turns out.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty