Browning A5 16ga (year & value?)

Discussion in 'Browning' started by Yachky, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Yachky

Yachky G&G Newbie

West MI
    Hey All,

Can anyone help me figure out what the year and value of this is?

It is made in Belgium. It’s not a “SWEET.” It has a little wear. Some bluing is worn off where the hands make contact near stock. Stock has a couple of light scratches, and there are a couple of light marks on the receiver. The condition (IMO) is 90% or close. This is very nice. No sign of rust or pits at all.

I don’t see any choke or markings as to what choke it is. I don’t see any FN stamps in the metal. It does have the black carved (is it horn?) butt stock.

In short, when I do sell this I don’t want this to be under or over valued. Sorry, not currently for sale. I just need help from someone who knows these type of guns.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Attached Files:

jerry and Jim Bridger like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Nice A-5 the sweet 16’s are a bit more in value as you indicate.

Not coming from a book, but the ones on the rack here where I live in the mid west sell from the $275-$450 range. I know this sounds ridiculously low for such a fine firearm, but not a lot have the love for them as they used to. Mine will never leave regardless of value. Family heirloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Gray Wolf, Yachky and 455rocket like this.

3. Brownings website has a serial number look up for all models. Click on the “support” tab and it will take you to it.

Yachky and jerry like this.
  4. Yachky

Yachky G&G Newbie

West MI
    I should have noted that I’ve tried the lookup, but I don’t see numbers that make sense??? If someone who knows these could make sense of my number and explain what OR is I would really appreciate it!!

5. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks for the Pic of the "Sweet 16". When I saw that worn A-5 my mind flashed backed to Bob Whites on the rise and my beautiful setters of long ago. Thanks for the memories. :)

jerry and Yachky like this.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Have you contacted Browning? That's where I would begin looking for an explanation and trying to decode a serial # that didn't appear to match info on their list.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  7. Jim Bridger

That is an "FN". These predated the Browning A-5 shotguns as I recall? The first Browning A-5 shotguns were Remington Mdl. 11. FN did produce all the Browning A-5 marked shotguns as well.

mauser9, jerry and Yachky like this.
  8. ChaZam

From their website Jim. It appears to cover various phases of the production, but nothing with the "OR" prefix that the OP has on their firearm. That's why I suggested contacting them directly.
    https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/auto-5-semi-automatic-shotgun.html

jerry, Jim Bridger and Yachky like this.
  9. Yachky

Yachky G&G Newbie

West MI
    So, your saying that this one is a 1903-1939 models with serial numbers from 1-228,000? It does say St Louis Mo, so it’s not one of the first 10,000. I’m of the opinion that, if this is correct, this is a more “collectible/desirable” gun????

jerry and Jim Bridger like this.
  10. Yachky

Yachky G&G Newbie

West MI
    I wasn’t thinking that was really necessary, but I’m starting to see that it likely is!

jerry and ChaZam like this.
  11. Yachky

Yachky G&G Newbie

West MI
    I did just email Browning.

12. ChaZam

You might introduce yourself with a post in the introduction forum. Lots of members will probably see that and welcome you that may not see your posts in this thread. Here's a link for it.
    https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/introduction.175/

Yachky likes this.
  13. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Browning took the design to Remington first. The gentleman he was to meet with had a heart attack and died. He then went to FN Belgium, the rest is history.

https://www.range365.com/auto-5-shotgun/

mauser9, 455rocket and ChaZam like this.
  14. Jim Bridger

I am. 50 miles from Browning 's Hq in Morgan,UT. Idon't know if they do research ?⁰

jerry likes this.
  15. Jim Bridger

Try Browing reaserch. That will get you into serial numbers.

455rocket likes this.
  16. Yachky

Yachky G&G Newbie

West MI
    Hey All,

So Browning got back to me on this and has advised that this is a 1926 manufactured A5! Wow! Can’t believe they got back to me so quickly, and that I have a 1926 A5!! Giddy UP!!!

That nails the year, so what are your thoughts on price????????? This one may never leave my hands!

Thanks!!
    Jeff

17. ChaZam

Oh man, 1926 was a long long time ago. I surely am not qualified to hazard a guess though on value.

18. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I just saw one on Armslist in excellent condition. It is 16 gauge and made in 1950. They are asking $400 for it. Maybe you can get some idea what an earlier one is worth. I have seen many of them in various gauge but never owned one.

455rocket, jerry and ChaZam like this.
  19. Out of curiosity is it chambered for 2 9/16 inch or 2 3/4 inch shells? I bought one for dad back in 2008 and it was chambered for 2 9/16 inch shells

455rocket, jerry and ChaZam like this.
  20. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

One would think these guns would be worth far more than what they often sell for on the used gun market. Built like tanks. Bit sturdier than a Winny 1200. LOL

455rocket, jerry, rando and 1 other person like this.