close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Browning Sweet 16 Question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

In 1961 I bought a used Browning Sweet 16 in Wichita, Ks for about $100. Features included were: ventilated rib, gold plated trigger guard, recoil pad, and (unfortunately) a polychoke which was silver soldered in place. I would rate it to be in excellent condition according to the NRA rating scale.

I used it quite a lot for quail hunting and it performed great.

My question...is regarding it's current value? From looking at the gun auctions I've seen prices ranging from $350 up to $900.

Got any opinions as to what it might be worth?

Thanks in advance,

Oxford

2. Dan Har

Dan Har G&G Newbie

I'd lean toward the $900 end, but the polychoke might lower the value a little. I wouldn't take less than $800 for my light 12.

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Have another Browning SG problem that maybe somebody could assist me with. When I bought that Sweet Sixteen there was included with it a wooden plug that is about five inches long, to be used to block off shells in the magazine tube. All these years I've never needed to use that plug...but now, in Missouri, according to state turkey hunting regulations I can only have three rounds in the gun, including one in the firing chamber.

As a result, I've retrieved that wooden plug (lucky I still had it around) but have no idea how it is to be inserted in the tube. I disassembled the SG today to look it over more carefully, and still don't have the answer. It appears that the compression ring assembly must be opened up some way in order to get the plug inside. But...that process I'm not familiar with.

So...anybody got a suggestion on how to get the plug in this shotgun?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Ox

4. turner

turner Suspended

Tn
    Take the forend cap and forend off (you will of course need to push the barrel into the receiver a bit to do this). You can leave the barrel on now. Look at the top of the ammo tube (where cap was screwed on). There is a silver piece of metal that's about the size of a quarter with a slot in it. Slide a screwdriver or similar instrument into that silver coin looking piece and begin to pry it up and out of the top of the ammo tube. It's about 1/2" deep and hollow. It is being pushed on from underneath by a spring, so be careful it does not pop out and hit you or spring across the room. Once you have it out, slide the wooden plug in to the tube and inside the spring with the wide end out. Put the slotted silver stop over the wide end of the wooden plug and push (both) back into the ammo tube til the silver cap is once again flush with the end of ammo tube. Return forend, slide barrel partway into receiver and install screw cap. DONE! (but be sure the screw cap is tight when barrel is pushed into receiver or the shotgun may not function properly)

By the way...nice gun, I've always wanted a sweet 16. I have a light 12.

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Turner...Thanks for the quick response to my inquiry. What you wrote makes perfect sense to me now that I think about what I saw when I inspected the compression assembly. I'll follow your steps and no doubt it'll do the job.

Ox

P.S. Just finished doing what you suggested...and it worked. Like you said, the metal cap was under a little pressure from the spring. With careful prying it begun to come out which allowed me to set the plug in place. After reassembly I tested the tube capacity and it held two with one round in the firing chamber.

Thanks again!

Ox

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  6. turner

turner Suspended

Tn
    You're quite welcome and good luck chasing turkeys! I'm going to go out tomorrow morning for my second try this season. I'll have to admit that on opening day, a very nice Tom made me look like a fool as I waited for him to get a tad closer, allowing him to simply disappear...lol. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

7. Oxford I've noticed the date on your first question is 03/23/2002 was this your 1st. post at Gun and Game ?
    Also your join date is 03/2002.
    Just curious...A.H

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

A.H...not quite. My first post was an inquiry about the receiver on my Springfield 03A3. Since then the posts keep adding up faster than I can believe.

P.S. And Turner...good luck with your turkey hunting, too. I just bought a turkey caller from Wal Mart called the "Knight & Hale", Tom Coffin KH 1505. It's a small box caller in which I slide a wooden dowel which causes "turkey" sounds.(ha) No doubt you're familiar with calls similar to this.

FYI...I tried calling my wife with that caller and it caused her to run away, too.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  9. turner

turner Suspended

Tn
    I have a very similar, if not identical call, along with a box call that I can be just as bad with...lol. Good Luck!If this helps, I did harvest my 1st turkey with my A-5 Lt 12 with just a button type call!

10. It's get'in close to Turkey season and there ought to be some Threads pop'in up soon.
    Gobble Gobble Gobble-------------...A.H

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you put the shotgun away while trying to call your wife maybe she won't run away. sam.

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Sam...she's used to the S.G....just not the "gobble, gobble, come here @#$%^r'" words I use.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Mine wont hold asprin so I can shoot at them with an arrow. sam.

14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here is a picture of my Browning Sweet Sixteen...

Attached Files:

15. turner

turner Suspended

Tn
    Very nice...Now, I'm even more jealous...lol.