Browning vs Beretta/Taurus

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 19, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I'm considering a full size 40 caliber pistol and Beretta/Taurus are presently my idea, but Browning Hi-Power looks fine too and I wonder if anyone has reason to recommend it over Beretta/Taurus. They seem to cost about $100 more.
    One criteria is that I'd like to be able to take it down into barrel, frame, and slide quickly and frequently. I'd also like a 357 Sig conversion barrel, which I've seen for Beretta/Taurus but not Browning. Another thing I like is a low height of barrel over grip, which Steyer does best, but so far I haven't found a polymer frame that I liked. No 357 conversion there either.

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Do you like a SA trigger pull or a DA (DA/SA) trigger pull? There's the big difference between the two....

3. BattleRifleG3

I'm not 100% sure, but if you tell me the difference and which has which I could find out. My guess is that SA is short and DA is long. I've used SA and DA revolvers. What's the base 1911?

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Browning Hi Power has a singe action (SA) trigger like a 1911. Hammer has to be cocked back for the first shot, then cocks itself for the following shots (Well, as the slide comes out of battery it really cocks it, but for all intents and purposes...)

Beretta/Clones have a Double Action (DA) trigger. This means that the first shot is fired with the hammer in the "down" position. The rest, unless you de-cock, are fired with the hammer in the "back/cocked" postion; hair pin trigger if you will. These are commonly referred to in magazines as "DA/SA" for double action/single action. First shot is a tough pull, the rest are a light pull on the trigger. (Ruger Semi-Auto's and Sigs for another example).

Glocks are called "DAO" for "double action only." Long trigger pull so to speak. The trigger pull is the same every shot.

5. BattleRifleG3

That puts clearly in plain English with actual knowledge what I've theorized about before. Thanks 1*.
    Can I assume a SA or SA/DA would pull the hammer when charged? I would plan to carry unchambered, at least to begin with. I tend to think I'd prefer the hairpin trigger myself. If it's anything like the SA and DA revolvers I've fired. I don't think I'd want a DAO.

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I like the Browning (but watch out for "Hammerbite")

:nod: :target:

7. BattleRifleG3

What is "hammerbite" and how bad is it?

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Hammerbite is...

:eek: It's when the slide comes back after you pull (squeeze) the trigger and recocks the hammer and hopefully the hammer doesn't pinch that piece of skin that connects your trigger finger to your thumb...it can hurt in a slightly annoying way...it distracts you from true marksmanship :rolleyes:

9. FEG

FEG Guest

The CZ 75B in .40 is a DA/SA set up like a BHP (Browning-type manual safety). There is also a SA version (75B SA). These cost from $340-$440 in my area (depending on things like finish, etc). A .357 SIG barrell is available from Bar-Sto.

These are cheaper than even the Taurus, and I think that they are better (more ergonomic) for most people. If grip angle and hand placement/heighth in relationship to the bore axis are important to you, you will probably like the CZ better.

10. Cyclops

Cyclops Guest

In a SA pistol, I likes me a good 1911 that has been worked on by a good smith. In a DA/SA pistol, I have really enjoyed my Berettas (I own 2 Italian 92fs's).
    Bottom line, is to go out and rent some guns & shoot them until you can figure out for yourself which one you like best.

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

FEG does make a good point though...

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

BattleRfile, why would you carry unchambered? Several issues could come up.
    1) In a life threatening situation, you aren't going to have time to put one in the pipe.
    2)Should you use it, an attorney can rape you on the stand with questions like, "Why did you carry unchambered? Are you uncomfortable with you gun handling skills?" A jury would jump on that.

If you want the "hair pin" trigger, you need a 1911. Carry it cocked and locked with one in the pipe. There are several things need to hapen before the gun fires. 1) the thumb safety has to somehow get turned off. 2) the grip safety has to be pressed. 3) something has to squeeze the trigger. Any good holster should cover the trigger. Any leather holster with a thumb-break can give you an extra since of security. If the hammer were to fall, it has extra cushioning between it and the firing pin.

As for the DA/SA or DAO guns, your first trigger squeeze will always be long and harder than an SA. You can cock the hammer back, but the guns were not designed to be carried this way. A Beretta/Taurus has one safety, and that's the thumb safety. If you carried it in the SA postion, and the safety got flipped down, you could be in for a world of hurt.

Just food for thought.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  13. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I carry a round chambered on my CCWs, but ALWAYS with safeties on. For example, I carry my .380 Backup in a leather pocket holster with the manual safety, and grip safety, on. My NAA Black Widow is carried with the hammer down on a safety slot, which also locks the cylinder.