BSA honored warranty

Discussion in 'Optics' started by jerry, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Back in August I bought a BSA 4x30TW scope for my PC9. Not a bad scope, but had that funny feeling from the git go.
    The address on the warranty and literature was from their old FLA address, they are in Rogers AR now. I sent the warranty in after verifying the address. The original envelope was returned. Surprise.

I got the scope to shoot okay. I had a couple of wandering zero issues which I chalked up to just being me or the rings. The detents were always “mushy” without a positive click on either turret. One day I lost all click on the windage turret.

Sent it in. They indicate it can be up to 6 weeks. Just got a brand new scope in the mail today in 3 weeks. The detents have a nice positive click and everything looks good including the literature. The one thing I’ve found about warranty’s is to follow the instructions exactly for good results. I’m pretty happy with Gamo/Daisy/BSA

At any rate, just wanted to pass on that they do a decent job, at least in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

PaleHawkDown, ChaZam, jwrauch and 9 others like this.
  2. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I've got a couple of ACOGs so I'm not a tightwad when it comes to decent glass.

BUT

I've got a BSA TAC 4x scope (mil dot) that I just can't seem to get away from. Decent eye relief, clear glass, great scope. It works well as a BDC when shooting supers and subs in a 300 pistol build upper (giving decent reference points for super and sub loadings; zeroed for Hornady 190 gr. sub-X at 25 yards. I can reference the mil-dots when using the Fiocchi 125 grain supers and get good hits at different ranges as well; just have to keep a card of where POI is with them). The only drawback is the tac mil adjust knobs can get extended when shooting (haven't had them move around yet--just occasionally I find them out to where they could be moved).

Really been useful in several applications and for the money was a great buy.

3. jerry

USA
    Exactly
    I put this in the PC9 with weaver see through sights. I can use the irons all day long and have a little fun out to 100 and a bit beyond with the adequate optic. The rings have the nice knurled thumb screws, if push came to shove I could take it off easy enough.

ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  4. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

Missouri
    I picked up a BSA 3.5-10 scope on sale off an Amazon special, it's going on the side-charging 7.62x39 build.

ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  5. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    A friend of mine had taken a BSA variable off a rifle he had just gotten in a trade. Sorry, don't recall the exact model. The reticle had come loose. I returned it to the factory. That model had been discontinued. That replacement was a much nicer scope. The factory rep was extremely nice. It was a pleasant experience doing business with BSA.

Cyrano, PaleHawkDown, ChaZam and 2 others like this.
  6. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks for the Info.

ChaZam and jerry like this.
  7. jerry

USA
    Update.
    My buddy bought a 9mm Justrite carbine for his wife and needed a scope.
    I donated it to him to put on the JRC. I haven’t got feedback yet but sure it’ll be fine.
    He’s always doing something nice for me and I kind of like the iron sights on the PC 9, so figured what the heck.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

ChaZam likes this.
  8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Sounds like you did a good deal for a good friend...

jerry likes this.
  9. jerry

USA
    He’s been a good friend for a bit over 30 years now. Good guy and worth it.

rando and ChaZam like this.
  10. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    There are some people who are convinced that low end scopes are the same as Night Force but under a different name.

11. jerry

USA
    Never held one to know ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

But they have never actually used a nice scope in their life.

Most of my scope's cost more than the gun's they are mounted on,and they are worth every penny I spent on them.

jerry and Mowgli T. like this.
  13. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    One my shooting partner's friend came to shoot with us. He had a Nightforce scope on a current plane jane Model 70 Winchester. He was a happy camper.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    jerry likes this.
  14. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    On my exchange with the BSA, the scope appeared to have been sold in Europe for serious money. I could not find that this model was offered in the US.

jerry likes this.
  15. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

The most expensive scopes I own are the crappiest scopes I own.

Of course, the most expensive scopes I own are all old military scopes with collectors' value, while the only modern scopes I own are a Nikon and a Barska. That Barska is a world better than old English, Russian or German optics (though I do have a really nice 19th Century Zeiss transit with incredible optics).

jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  16. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I had a personal experience with old scopes. My old 1927 vintage Savage 99 had been retro fitted with Hensoldt scope. The scope was filthy and the substance inside, be it grease of something else, had become solid, The only way to focus the scope was to heat it with a hair dryer. Had the scope repaired. When it was returned it was and is crystal clear. Point being that many of the old scopes we have are in need of cleaning and TLC. Work a bunch better when we get the cobwebs removed.

jerry likes this.
  17. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    This is the scope in vintage Redfield rings. Work on the scope was done by Parsons. Rifle is a takedown in 250 Savage.
    20200702_030035_HDR.jpg

jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

I have a BSA 3x9 on my AR. I bought it as a just until scope so I could get out hunting with my friend for yotes.
    It is a little glarry in high noon direct sunlight, but I use it to hunt with in the mornings and evenings, and it does good in low light. It is very consistant when making turret adjustments. It is also specifically marked for the AR and the redicals also work just fine for my type of hunting. It has taken a bit of abuse with no ill effect, including my son,misunderstanding what I said and putting it on his air rifle.Then shooting it a couple hundred times before I caught the mistake.
    Have had better glass that is true, but see no need to upgrade from something that does the job just fine, I can see out of well, in low light and it stays put. To me its worth twice the 65 bucks I paid for it.

jerry likes this.
  19. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    Worst scope I ever had was a Barska 6X24. It was fine on 6X but over that it was blurry and also wouldn't adjust at even 100 yards. It came on a Savage axis 22.250 with Leupold rings and mounts for 250.00. I couldn't even justify selling it or trading it. I removed it and installed a Burris XLT 3x9 and shoots fine. I beat the hell out of the scope with a hammer and through it in the trash.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  20. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I suspect for somebody who is about scopes can spot the difference very quickly. Those very low end scopes are not made for knob twisters. I don't mean this as a cheap spot. Some of these scopes are sold with side focus and large turrets etc. for $50.00. All this plus a 50mm objective. I just don't know about all this. Put the scope on some turkey you regret getting and pass it off to another.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020