Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to make my own paper cartridges for the .44 cal BP revolvers but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for Buckshot or Buck and ball loads?:feedback::hitwithrock:

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I know how to make my own paper cartridges for the .44 cal BP revolvers but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for Buckshot or Buck and ball loads?:feedback::hitwithrock:
Dont do it!!!!.44 cap&ball was designed for one piece or projectile.You cant even use a patch on a ball because when it goes from the chamber to the barrel the patch will stick and when you fire again you have an obstruction in the barrel.There is a felt wad that can be used under a bullet that goes out with conicle bullets but putting multiple balls or shot would be very dangerous because of the gap between chamber and barrel. samuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. And as I research this more I think I am more or less confusing these with smoothbore musket loads. Where there ever any buck and ball made for the .58 Springfield?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I forget if it was .58cal. or 59cal. but during the civil war (maybe the revolutionary war too) a smooth bore buck&ball load was used by at least one unit.I believe they were out of New York.I doubt that buck&ball would work in a springfield because of the riflings which would make the multible projectiles spread all over from the spin.I know shot wont work in a rifled slug barrel. samuel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts