Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my experience on buckshot vs black bears. I own a shotshell business and I test and use my ammunition on ALL game I hunt here in Montana. From birds to elk and big black bear. Many people on here claim that buckshot is unethical on big game. Thats far from the truth. Its about proper usage of capabilities. When hand loaded buckshot is used for its proper intended purpose(0-40 yards) in a properly prepared shotgun (full choke) It has a higher instant incapacitation percentage then any big game rifle I have used when taking behind the shoulder shots. The load I use is a 12 pellet nickle plated buffered OO buck load @1220 FPS. This load will and does completely penetrate a 400 +pound black bear broadside at 27.5 yards shooting from a tree stand. The animal went down on contact and rolled 1 meter on its opposite side and expired. All pellets exhibited full penetration of this animal.

Also a nickle plated F-buckshot load....pretty small pelkets say most BUT...... Specifically a 789 gr load (54 pellets) incased in a tough steel shot wad will dump 80% of 54 pellets in a dinner plate sized [email protected] yards using a kicks full choke. These are moving at 1200 FPS. These pellets are .23 caliber each and you are hitting a target with over 40 .23 cal roundballs. I tested this load on another bear the year prior. This boar was @31 yards and was shot behind the shoulder. The bear dropped and was incapacitated instantly. The animal did not move after contact was made. Shooting from a stand I had aimed a little bit high on accident. An unknown amount of buckshot had traversed through the thoracic spine. Most of the shot had completely penetrated both lungs moving at a downward angle. A small amount of shot had completely penetrated the right scapula and fully penetrated the right lungs. I encourage everyone to get some really good quality hand loaded buckshot and try it on game with a full choke at PROPER INTENDED RANGE. When used properly you will earn a new respect for buckshot.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I do not disagree, with the effectiveness of buckshot. But am ethically opposed to allowing buckshot on deer, the reason is personal experience and observation on deer in Georgia and Oklahoma. Buck shot gives these jerks in the woods a reason to shoot at running deer. Early in life I hunted on a military base in Georga, shotgun only. The most common load was a 3 inch #1 buckshot. so, I put that as my first round up. A little buck approached about 30 yards. I hit him front on, bad idea. Both front legs were mangle and his chest riddled. He hopped off into a swamp like a rat. My second shot was a 00 Buck, with 9 pellets. I hit him going away, EZ shot, twice before he went down. Then he was still kicking so I used a slug. I have killed over 100 deer, elk, antelope, etc, never seen one take so long to die.

Later we found crippled deer in just about every group. Same thing in Oklahoma, they would drive them and shoot at everything that moves. Every deer killed is gut shot.

The buckshot brings out the trashy hunters. Of course they work fine with a proper close range shot, but why chop up the deer and get a bunch of wasted blood shot meat. I despise people who do that. They are not sportsmen at all.

Shooting bear at close range probably works as you say, but why? Any ethical hunter can put a slug in the same bear. For defense, great, but for traditional hunting, no way, no real hunter needs to do that.

I do cast my own 0,00,000 and #4 buck as well as 3/4 and 1 ounce slugs. I drop them in ice water and then powder coat them, they are hard enough.

Nothing against your loading for defense, but promoting use on things like deer, no way. Coyotes would be a great situation. Nobody cares how much they suffer before they die and people will take long shots at them with buckshot. I have and will continue to do so, even at 100 yards I would lob a 00 or 000 load of buckshot at them, even at 100 yards, and I have.

I assume you wanted opinions. that is mine.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Bluevoodoo, the two scenarios you described were tree stand shots and that is typical of most archery shooting out to 40 yards. So IMHO, you have a controlled environment, probably have everything range marked so you know exact distances, and the game comes to you. I have no doubt your loads will be effective.

Ranger4, makes a valid point, people are the weak link and take some horrible judgement shots trying to hit an animal. I was taught to be precise when aiming at a living creature and to make the first shot count. As for me, I will hunt with a rifle, suitable pistol, or rifled barrel shotgun with a sabot round.

Lastly, I also won't use 00 Buck when I go bird hunting with a shotgun.

I just urge hunters to be wise in the firearm and ammo selection, don't go for the Hail Mary shots, and be ethical when going for game.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well, there is hunting and then there is HUNTING. :rolleyes:;):cool:
Once upon a time when I was about 18 a buddy and I wanted to go duck hunting on his place, so we snuck up on a pond hoping to find some ducks. We only had 5 shells and one shotgun, the plan was to take turns. I was first up, problem, we only had 5 shells, they were all buck shot, I think one was #4 buck so I put it up first. Turns out there were five ducks in the center of the pond, I fired one shot and two flew away. Our hunt was over.

I cast and reload #4 , 0, 00, and 000 Buck but have no clue what the pattern would be to get that many ducks at once. However, I have liked $4 ever since. Then we had to figure a way to get them out of the pond.

I said on another post I have a #1 buck but it is #4 instead, for those who cast, they are a pain, the molds hold 18, but you have to cut the sprew on everyone of them, and if you use a hard alloy, it is a pain. I am thinking if a load a 3 inch or a 3.5 inch with #4 shot, it would be the perfect coyote l load out to about 75 yards. I shoot 3.5 inch 2 ounce loads in my 870 turkey gun. Not fun, but affective. The 2 3/4 inch holds 24 pellets, not sure how many the big shells hold. Should be fun. Probably not many people want to shoot too many of them. LOL

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here is my experience on buckshot vs black bears. I own a shotshell business and I test and use my ammunition on ALL game I hunt here in Montana. From birds to elk and big black bear. Many people on here claim that buckshot is unethical on big game. Thats far from the truth. Its about proper usage of capabilities. When hand loaded buckshot is used for its proper intended purpose(0-40 yards) in a properly prepared shotgun (full choke) It has a higher instant incapacitation percentage then any big game rifle I have used when taking behind the shoulder shots. The load I use is a 12 pellet nickle plated buffered OO buck load @1220 FPS. This load will and does completely penetrate a 400 +pound black bear broadside at 27.5 yards shooting from a tree stand. The animal went down on contact and rolled 1 meter on its opposite side and expired. All pellets exhibited full penetration of this animal.

Also a nickle plated F-buckshot load....pretty small pelkets say most BUT...... Specifically a 789 gr load (54 pellets) incased in a tough steel shot wad will dump 80% of 54 pellets in a dinner plate sized [email protected] yards using a kicks full choke. These are moving at 1200 FPS. These pellets are .23 caliber each and you are hitting a target with over 40 .23 cal roundballs. I tested this load on another bear the year prior. This boar was @31 yards and was shot behind the shoulder. The bear dropped and was incapacitated instantly. The animal did not move after contact was made. Shooting from a stand I had aimed a little bit high on accident. An unknown amount of buckshot had traversed through the thoracic spine. Most of the shot had completely penetrated both lungs moving at a downward angle. A small amount of shot had completely penetrated the right scapula and fully penetrated the right lungs. I encourage everyone to get some really good quality hand loaded buckshot and try it on game with a full choke at PROPER INTENDED RANGE. When used properly you will earn a new respect for buckshot.
Great reading! I killed an old cinnamon boar bear with a shotshell cut load. The shot was close quarters and into the neck, an instant kill. The shot blew up 3 neck bones and severed the spinal cord. It was a trouble bear in MN.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts