Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mossberg 835 and because it is meant for steel shot not supposed to use slugs so of course never have or never will. I have contacted Mossberg about using buckshot and they have said that it was safe to use. Now I'm assuming that it is safe to use any type of buckshot as it does not put the same type of pressure on the inside of the barrel like a slug would. I have a modified choke as I use it mostly for upland hunting. So I'm assuming that 000 Buck would probably give me an effective range to about 40 to 50 yards. Am I right?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I really would think it would be safe if they said so. But I don't know for sure. Actually 00 might work better. But the range of 40 is fine, for deer I assume.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only reason that you cant use slugs in your 835 is because the barrel is overbored and the slug would not be a tight fit in the barrel, causing the slug to be highly dangerous due to the possibility of it catching on the choke tube as it left the barrel and creating a HUGE pressure spike in the barrel

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks EHC now I know the reason why, Mossberg just said it was ok to use. And can't use buckshot for deer here in Manitoba Andrew, I was thinking more along the lines as a backup gun during archery season in bear country. Also in Canada we are allowed to carry guns in remote/backwoods areas for protection against predators and figure the 12 gauge is as good as any as it can be used for small game etc. I figured 000 or 00 Buckshot would be good enough against anything I'd run into.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Can you buy a slug barrel for it and swap 'em out? And I would NEVER assume that buckshot, or anything else, would be "good enough against anything I'd run into". In bear country, carry the MAXIMUM firepower you can! With a 12 guage, that means slugs. And not just slugs, but the best, most powerful slugs you can find. If I have to defend myself against a bear of ANY kind, I'm not giving 'em any breaks.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I was hunting bears I would use one of my rifles lol. And rondog I'm just thinking more along the lines of the 12 gauge as an "all around gun" that if I needed to could shoot small game, rabbits, grouse etc.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Well, based on what I've seen 12ga 3" 000 buckshot do to a trash can full of water...I would probably feel confident shooting at a bear with it. The only limit is the range. Past 50 yards, I don't think it's the right choice of ammo.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
If I was hunting bears I would use one of my rifles lol. And rondog I'm just thinking more along the lines of the 12 gauge as an "all around gun" that if I needed to could shoot small game, rabbits, grouse etc.
That's why I suggested a shotgun that you can swap barrels on. You can have a birdshot barrel with different screw-on chokes, and a rifled slug barrel for shooting high-powered sabot slugs. Not all shotguns can do this, but most can. For bears, I'd want a pump with an 8-round magazine.

And buckshot is only gonna piss off a bear, unless it's right on top of ya. It won't penetrate deep enough to hit the vitals. These slugs will make 'em feel it...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not to counter any-one but I have been reading and they say that buck shot is good for charging bears. Reason is a moving target, the BB's give you a better chance of hitting the bears head where the BB's are able to penetrate the brain. Also they suggested carrying both slugs and buck shot in bear country. Slug being first round shot and Buck the being the rest. Slug is used first in thouhgt you have seen the bear first and canshot it at a longer distance then using the buck at the charging bear..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Let's put it this way. A .30cal slug through the skull of a bear will stop him, period.

Depending on the size of the buckshot shell, you can have 8-16 (maybe more) .30cal balls flying down range.

I like those odds.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read an article about guides in bear country and what their choices would be for bear protection. The answers ranged from .44 magnum revolvers, to larger caliber rifles, to shotguns. One of the suggestions was birdshot as your first round or so, followed by buckshot and then slugs. The reasoning was as follows, the birdshot may hit it in the face blinding it or discouraging it, the buckshot would be effective as maybe hitting something vital, and the slug would be hopefully the clincher. Now this method was for a charging bear the rationale being that the first few shots would be quickly aimed etc. And again rondog good advice etc. but if I was going to carry a spare barrel I may as well tote a rifle as well or just a rifle and forget the shotgun. The whole point is just one gun that I would carry in the bush and not go looking to shoot anything like a bear just as protection or for game. Now where I spend my time hunting there are only black bears. The only other bears we have in Manitoba are Polar Bears and they are about 600 miles away so nothing I have to worry about.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
One of the suggestions was birdshot as your first round or so, followed by buckshot and then slugs. The reasoning was as follows, the birdshot may hit it in the face blinding it or discouraging it, the buckshot would be effective as maybe hitting something vital, and the slug would be hopefully the clincher.
Sounds like it might work, although I think my method would be buckshot, followed by buckshot, followed by buckshot, followed by buckshot, followed by buckshot :D

50 .36cal balls flying down range at nearly the speed of sound should work.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I am going to agree with bravo on this one. I am thinking that I will hit more with the BB's then the one slug, but I am sure the slug would do more damage.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
My point is, how deep will the buckshot actually penetrate into a bear? Will those little balls penetrate the skull or get in to the heart & lungs? You'd better hope it's not close enough to just blow one big hole in it, you'd better get it stopped before that. Given the choice, I'll take 8 rounds of slugs over 8 rounds of buckshot, thank you! JMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts