Budget 7.62x39 bolt-action rifle?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JMcDonald, Oct 15, 2008.

1. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Does anyone know of a good budget 7.62x39 bolt-action rifle? Maybe a few hundred dollars?

2. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

Not right off I don't; but, I believe rossi makes a single shot 7.63x39 that sells for under $200 brand new..

3. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

well for a couple hundred bucks yo could get an sks, then you would acualy have a supremely viable survival weapon!

4. remchuck

remchuck G&G Regular

the only one i remember was back in '95-'96 century sold rifles based on surplus military actions.the century custom sporting rifle used a small ring 98 action and was chambered in 7.62x39 and 308.according to the 1996 gun digest it listed for $275.

5. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

The only two bolt action rifles I know of are the CZ and the Remington. I have the Rem. its a mini mauser action with a Laminated stock. both are in the 400+ range.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

You might want to think about buying a Yugo SKS, removing the bayonet and the grenade launcher sights, and then setting the selector switch from semi-auto to single shot and regarding the rifle as a straight pull bolt action. You might also remove the grenade launcher and replace it with a muzzle brake, but that's more aesthetic than necessary.

7. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Hmm. What about 5.45x39 and .223? I am really looking for something that can be bought reasonable prices (reasonable for someone who is not planning on more than target practice or "just in case" uses - no specific hunting purposes). Perhaps $.30 / round, at most? I see there are quite a few more options in .223.

Also, single shot isn't too big of a deal if there is nothing that has a magazine. I suppose it will be a good way to save ammo and make shots count, heh. Also, $400 isn't too out of the question (would just have to save a bit more) if the options are much better in that price range.

I like the sound of this one. $240 at Impact Guns:
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp

And Rossi does make a few low-cost single shot .223 rifles it seems.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  8. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

the cz 527 carbine
    CZ 527 Carbine

but i ain't priced one in a while......probably close to $600 nowadays. but an absolute dream with a sweet set trigger and decent iron sights.

have heard of but don't know much about the remington 799 bolt action.

ruger once upon a time made a run of 77 mkii in 7.62x39----have not seen one in years.............

9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

I knew that the Carcano boltaction rifle/carbine's had been modified to shoot the 7.62x39mm round and have one that was converted back in the early 1990's a P-14 barrel was set back and headspaced and a small steel feed ramp was spot welded in the front of the mag well, the 6 round charger strips function well, The conversion was done then for $200 (includeing the barrel and mag mod) on my carcano
    If you have a carcano in bad shape that need's a barrel this may be a option
    say $150 to purchase a carcano, $60 for a Enfield #1 Mk 111 barrel and then the cost of doing the barrel change mag housing mod ($350)
    money spent on a project could go twards a good used CZ bolt rifle that a scope can be mounted on. The ruger Mini 30 or a SKS would be good to problem is cartridge performance on deer, the original 6.5 Carcano would be better
    as would a good used Marlin 30-30 lever that a scope could be mounted on as well.

10. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

*edit*

Nevermind. I think I might go with that .223 Survivor rifle.

11. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

the handy rifles are great little hunting guns. BUT--it is not uncomon to have latch problems and zero problems with them. Also dry firing can easly result in a broken transfer bar. In short, they are a diamond in the ruff and may require some patience on your part to get up to snuff............

a bolt action stevens might provide better service.

12. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Oooh ok. Thanks a bunch for those links, dep! The faults of that gun are a little disappointing, since it did look pretty nice (bullet barrel, thumbhole stock with storage space, etc).

Any other better suggestions in that price range? What about the Rossis?
    YOUTH ROSSI .223 RIFLE/SCOPE COMBO

Though I can't find this model on their website.

13. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

14. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Yes Ive definately thought about that.

But there's no way I'd get my GF to enjoy shooting that. I think the 7.62x39 would be about the largest I'd get her to shoot at all. Remember, she doesn't have the testosterone required to give her something to prove by "taking the pain" of a big cartridge :09:.

15. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

true, i was thinking that the new stock would take a few pounds off the weight.

my sis weighed about a buck-10 when i got my enfield .303 once she shot it, that was the only thing she would shot when we would go out.lol. little girls and their big guns...hahahahaha.lol. so yeah i understand.

16. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

If you can find a friendly smith, it is easy to convert the Lee Enfield to 7.62x39; remove the barrel, trim it a bit and recut the threads & rechamber in 7.62x39. For a while it was a popular conversion in the UK and much more accurate than an SKS/AK47.

17. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

^sounds like a good idea!

18. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

19. Aarant

Aarant G&G Newbie

check out these. you might find one on the market for the price your looking for.
    Russian American Armory Company: Rifles

not sure though.

20. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Hmm. Thanks guys. I just found the Stevens rifles, though! They sound exactly like what I was looking for. Im going to look at some next week.

*edit*

And Ill call around for those Russian rifles, but they list no dealers in Oklahoma.

I also might still check out the H&R Survivor. I like that for its small size (doesn't need the extra ~4" for the magazine area in the receiver).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted