Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 700 that I need to put a scope on. I live in Colorado, so this will be used to hunt mule deer and elk for the near future. I am new to hunting, but based on what I have read, I was looking at either a 3-9x or 4-12x scope. I was hoping to spend around $200. What recommendations do you guys have?

·
Premium Member
10,447 Posts
Hi there and welcome to G&G. There are so many brands and types of budget scopes these days. Thing is so many are similar. For $200 you wont find like a Leupold or Zies or Steiner but how about a simple Bushnell Like a Banner or other. Ii have at least a few on hunting rifles and are 3x9x40 and 3x9x50 and simple + reticle. I have seen some for about $150 or a little less on sale. I have never had issues with them. Im sure you will get replies from many as everyone has their own favorites.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
SIG Buckmaster line should be under $200. Basically they took over what Nikon dropped.

Burris Fulfield II line.

Leupold Rifleman, has been discontinued but you might find one on sale for +/-$200.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
I have a Remington 700 that I need to put a scope on. I live in Colorado, so this will be used to hunt mule deer and elk for the near future.
You specified larger game animals so I would assume a .308 caliber series between the 308 Win, 30-06, and 300 WM and there is recoil to factor in. In addition, you could be shooting out a good distance out West unless you work hard to carefully work your way up close.
Recommendation, get a good set of scope rings and if at all possible try and have a bit higher $$$ threshold at $300 +- $30 (for scope and rings) it would open up a lot more options. Rando and BigEd63 offer great options. As for me, 4-12x40 or 4-16x40 is my comfort zone. Again, we are all different and have different requirements. You work hard for you money so you get to decide how you spend it.

Many years back, a 3x9 scope was way more expensive than they are now and the selection was more limited. Computers aided designs and manufacturing has improved the quality and reduced the cost. the difference of the first magnification number 3 or 4 is virtually insignificant where you gain benefit is the second number 9 or 12 or 16...guess what, if you go with a 12 or 16, you can still zoom to 9 or for a longer shot, you can continue to 12x or 16x. Put a tennis ball on 100 yds and you scope on 9x, if you are happy with what you see then move the ball to 150 yards and look again at 9x, if you don't like what you see (or can't see). I am posting a link to a Vortex scope I have, it's $200 then buy a good set of rings or cantilever Picatinny scope mount. Let us know what you decide and include a couple of photos because we always like seeing photos of your rig.

·
Registered
945 Posts
At $200 I would look for a Burris Fullfield IV. They have a 3 x 9 x 40 that will go on sale for about $220 each year. with an MSRP about $300. The illuminated models are more. That scope will compare to the Vortex line in the $700-$1000 range, Vortex makes lots of scopes but they are priced about 40%-100% more than others. I like Leupold but it would take $1000 to get the same quality, although they are basically the same.

I have about 40 scoped rifles, my personal most used deer gun is a 257 Weatherby and I have the illuminated Burris Fullfield IV, 4x16x50 on it. I have compared it to $2,500 scopes and really am high on that one, far better than most of all of my target scopes.

For deer and elk in the mountains scope ruggedness is just about as important as other features. I put my faith in Burris, Leupold, the Old Weavers now back on the market. Leupold as the best warranty. With modern manufacturing here are lots of cheap scopes that are wonderful, I have 8 0r 9 Tasco World Class on guns that have been there 20 years and never a problem, however, with how hard it is to get a tag, even in your home state, I would not suggest any scope under about $200. Of course if you have $2,000 to spend there are some top quality scopes out there, but then again, you do not want to drop them, or get them scratched up or dirty. lol.

Reactions: Dutch

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Vortex - Lifetime no questions asked warranty.
Amazon prime price for the Diamondback 4-12X40 in the link is terrific - $199.
I have several and a love them, and also have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24
I do have a Leupold Mk4 and it was very expensive but here's the kicker, my Vortex Diamondback is just as accurate and shoots the same size groups for 1/8th the price out of the same Ruger VT77 in .308 Win. The Mk4 sits in the cabinet because it's big and it's heavy and the Price / Peformance return on investment did not pan out IMHO.
I have a Tasco 6-24x44 on my Remington 700 SPS Target/varmint .223 Rem, paid just under $100 at the base Rod and Gun Club about 15 years ago for the scope, and that combo hits the bullseye every single time. Yes I got ribbed for having a Tasco, but when you can consistently hit the red center spot of a target the criticism or kidding just vanishes.
BuckshotBillyn, get what ever scope suits your fancy and your budget. The goal is the same, hit where you aim.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
BuckshotBillyn, once you start shooting regularly, might want to look over the Reloading forum for a future purchase of some reloading equipment. There is good info and you can find a bunch of G&G members that will give you some good advice. The only calibers I don't reload is the 22LR and .380, everything else for rifle and pistol I reload. I do use store bought personal defense ammo for my carry weapons to quell any ill conceived perception of Hot Loads.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
So many good options in this price range here. The Leupold VX-1 is a good choice, but I would call Doug at Cameraland and see what he has to offer in either new or demo. I know after Shot show, he has alot of Demo scopes that would be a good deal.
I agree, besides they are a onefora advertiser on a few sites.😉

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
BuckshotBillyn, check out this link and you might see some info on scopes that will help you with your purchase decisions.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
The OP hasn't logged in since they posted the question. But, I agree with everyone who's posted.

Bushnell, burris, or vortex are going to be my recommendations. Whichever is on sale from wherever you're shopping.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
I have a Remington 700 that I need to put a scope on. I live in Colorado, so this will be used to hunt mule deer and elk for the near future. I am new to hunting, but based on what I have read, I was looking at either a 3-9x or 4-12x scope. I was hoping to spend around $200. What recommendations do you guys have?
I have an idea, since you're going to be hunting where it's cold and rugged, skip a month's worth of frivolous spending and put an extra 150 bucks into your optics. That way you won't step out of your vehicle into the weather and your scope fogs up and your hunt
is over before it even begins.

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
391 Posts
I love my Vortex scopes. Some I have are over $500 or more, but a few are $200 or less. I have a Vortex 3x9 that I just bought on sale for $149. Didn't need a new scope, but for the price and the guarantee it's worth it. Lifetime, no questions asked, guarantee. They hold zero and work on multiple calibers. I have them on everything from a 300 win mag to 22.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts