Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
P
All of my rifles, and I have many, have Bushnell 3X9 scopes on them, dual "X"... My Winchester M-88 in .308, bought new in 1967, has a period correct Weaver V9 on it...
Plus 1 on the old weavers. I bought a 3 x 9 x 40 and put on a 30-06 in 1976, the type with a big post coming up from the bottom. It only last about 30 years, so I sent it back to the factory and had it repaired, That scope put two Boone and Crocket deer on my walls. Still have it, the deer in this picture was two years ago, with that gun and that scope. My regular scope and expensive one, died, so I used the old gun.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just as a side note, if you're a Military Veteran and go to the Vortex website, you can get a very good discount.
There is a bit of a problem with the Vortex military discount. It is a bit of a scam. in my opinion. First they claim 40% off MSRP. They only sell them two ways, direct from the company or through one vendor. Through the company, it takes months, several. Through the vendor it takes weeks or months.

But that is not the problem. I selected a particular scope, a 6 x 20 x 50 I think. The price was about $700+. I decided to shop around because they indicated it could take months. I went to 5 places and checked that exact scope, that scope is sold in bulk to Academy, Bass Pro and Cabelas. And, it is sold to the public at 40% off. MSRP.

So, if you go to Cabelas or Bass Pro and get the Veterans 5% discount you are much better off. I consider it a scam, making the vet think they are getting a discount when they are not. May not apply to all scopes but it sure did the one I wanted. I also tested that scope against 4-5 others at all five locations. It was not as good as the Burris Fullfield IV, model that I bought at Cabelas for $379.00. I also did not think it was any better than a comparable Leupold.

So, I consider them scamming vets and will not buy their products. Incidentally my buddy bought a pair of bVortex binocs last year. He dropped them on sandy ground from a tree stand and they snapped in two. So he got a free replacement, but looking at the insides, they had a cheap plastic frame. That sold me against them. He had to borrow a set for hunting season.

Other people have great opinions of them, I do not. I just consider their vet discount more of a scam. My 2 cents, opinions vary.

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
4,304 Posts
SIG Buckmaster line should be under $200. Basically they took over what Nikon dropped.
This. When it was Nikon, the Buckmaster was THE $200 rifle scope IMO. I switched everything to Leupold a few years back, but I still have two of the Buckmasters, I put one on my muzzleloader.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts