close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Build it yourself feeder plans?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by deergrower, Jun 18, 2004.

1. deergrower

deergrower G&G Newbie

I was just wondering if any of you had a build it yourself plan for a deer feeder?

2. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The only feeders I use are natural growth on a plot or the other option of leaving blocks on stumps -- it helps the deer get the food and they tear up old stumps for me -- if anyone has an inexpensive plan I wouldn't mind seeing it either.

3. Bug

Bug G&G Newbie

Here's a couple ...

These are cheap, simple, and effective.
    The one on the left is just a piece of 4-6" PVC pipe put in the ground like a post. It's called a "pig pipe". "A" is a board cut to fit the pipe, and work as a plug. "B" is ground level. "C" is a 3/4- 1" hole. I usually put them 14-18" deep, and make them about 5ft. tall.
    The one on the right is made from 4" PVC pipe, and a "Y". Again, "A" is a board, and this one needs several holes drilled in it to let rainwater drain out. Hole "D" is for a rope. Just tie it on a tree, with the "Y" at about knee height. It can be as long as you want.
    Both are capped off with a slip-off cap. It helps to either slot the top of the pipe with a saw, or sand the heck out of it, so the cap slips on & off easily.
    I have used both of these for years. They are easily moved, simple, use no mechanisims or batteries, and require no maintenance. I have two electronic feeders that stay in the garage... Don't need the headache!.......Bug
    [​IMG]

P.S. I don't know why the line drawing is messed up, but it should be enough to give you the general idea.

4. ScottD

ScottD G&G Enthusiast

Illegal to feed deer in WI where I hunt. Don't get caught heavy fines. It all has to do with CWD.

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

This is perfect for off season use -- Thanks Bug

6. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 G&G Newbie

Take 5 gal plastic paint bucket with lid. Bore 1.25"-1.5" hole in bottom. Get 1" T joint and cut the top half of the top barrel of the T off. Glue to 2ft piece of 1" PVC. Stick through bucket hole and glue on another T joint. Sometimes works better to bevel ends of lower T. Can also add a 2" wide by 6" tall windvane above lower T to move without game present. Hang just high enough game can't reach bucket, only feed tube.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted