Gun and Game Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
........I’m also looking into getting a Israeli bandage or two . Also am wanting to get Celox A applicator.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amazon sells them. I got some there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have decided to use the RAT 5 for the knife in this kit. I had to skimp on the quality of the multi tool . It’s one someone had gifted me a couple years ago. It’s a Small multi tool from Cabela . I have a Schrade multi tool on my pack anyway.
I have fishing line now I need to gather up some lures .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I have added more to my survival kit today. I added a couple glow sticks , a whistle, a compact of camo make up it has a mirror in it also so no need to add a signal mirror. A pack of compressed towels a small sewing kit and a 2400 calorie good bar. I also add a salt and pepper container’s made for camping.
I’m on the look out now for a good lensatic compass . Like to find a good deal on one.I’m still working on what type of set up that I want to put the contents of the kit in .
I’m thinking a vest or a molle type vest .

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Consider spider wire braided fishing line... I have both 25 and 50 pound test wrapped on all my pack frames and just about anything I can wrap it around. It is very strong and light weight and you can wrap a heck of a lot more of it than standard Para cord. It makes great sewing thread, great for repairs/binding and is excellent for lashing tree limbs and branches for shelter building. One of my frame packs has 500 yards of it and you can barely tell its there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have added more to my survival kit today. I added a couple glow sticks , a whistle, a compact of camo make up it has a mirror in it also so no need to add a signal mirror. A pack of compressed towels a small sewing kit and a 2400 calorie good bar. I also add a salt and pepper container’s made for camping.
I’m on the look out now for a good lensatic compass . Like to find a good deal on one. I’m still working on what type of set up that I want to put the contents of the kit in .
I’m thinking a vest or a molle type vest .

Midway USA has this compass for $70.
Cammenga Military Lensatic Compass
Cammenga Military Lensatic Compass Phosphorus Night Glow Face (midwayusa.com)

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,066 Posts
Consider spider wire braided fishing line... I have both 25 and 50 pound test wrapped on all my pack frames and just about anything I can wrap it around. It is very strong and light weight and you can wrap a heck of a lot more of it than standard Para cord. It makes great sewing thread, great for repairs/binding and is excellent for lashing tree limbs and branches for shelter building. One of my frame packs has 500 yards of it and you can barely tell its there.
That's one helluva good suggestion. Sewing thread is something folks sometimes don't think about and I'd not considered using flexible and strong fishing line for the task. I'm going to head over to cabelas to have a look at some (just had to sew some buttons back on a shirt). I've plenty of 550 cord but hadn't thought of this.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,066 Posts
Just FWIW, Mindy I got some of the 20lb test spider wire braided stealth smooth (green) and the power pro 20 pound super 8 slick V2 (black). I'm spindling them to some cheap broken chopsticks for thread. That stuff is great--handles just like thread but way stronger. Never would've thought of it (and I'm always having buttons pop off or seams split on the road).

It's an epiphany equal to starting my boxwood stove with split logs by using paper towels soaked in Kerosene, Diesel (instead of kerosene) to light the fire pit, and using the Mapp gas (or propane) torch to get grills and the pellet stove started. Ya never stop learning !

Thanks again; made my day !

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Seriously this will not be a Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn adventure. The massive lost of life human and animal will cause starvation and disease. Nuclear fall out will prolong misery and death. This will not be a raft trip down the Mississippi fishing and singing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just FWIW, Mindy I got some of the 20lb test spider wire braided stealth smooth (green) and the power pro 20 pound super 8 slick V2 (black). I'm spindling them to some cheap broken chopsticks for thread. That stuff is great--handles just like thread but way stronger. Never would've thought of it (and I'm always having buttons pop off or seams split on the road).

It's an epiphany equal to starting my boxwood stove with split logs by using paper towels soaked in Kerosene, Diesel (instead of kerosene) to light the fire pit, and using the Mapp gas (or propane) torch to get grills and the pellet stove started. Ya never stop learning !

Been using that braided fishing line for years for sewing. I have used 20, 30 and 50. My comment is that some needles have very small eyes, so you might want to add one with a big eye. The role in my sewing kit now is Spider Wire, Stealth Braid, 30 pounds. The 50 works better on tents, blinds and canvas stuff. I also use a multi-tool or needle nose when sewing with it because when you double it, it can be pretty hard to push through heavy fabric or canvas.

Have not added any to my pack frame but that is a great idea. Will do. Love that stuff. I also use it for tying rod guides on fishing poles and the front end of fletching on arrows, then a dab of super glue.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts

Glad you found the idea handy. I spend a lot of time in the bush camping and I can honestly say I use more spider wire than Paracord. I have always used it for fishing because of the strength / diameter ratio and when I replace the line on my reel, I don't want to waste the old stuff so I wrap it on my pack & gear. It also works very well in sewing machines and I have used it to stitch leather and canvas with great results.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I am adding a couple more items to my survival kit . Two fishing yo-yo’s , 3 small game cable snares . Also a compass . I should be complete with the build once I find what I’m going to carry the gear in .

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have decided to add 3 more small game snares instead of 3 I will have 6.

I do not remember what your fishing hook amounts were but have small and large sizes makes a difference and that spider wire works wonderful on limb lines where you may only need a few feet per set. You can set a couple dozen lines along a creek or river bank and dramatically increase your haul, especially when only one fish could save your day. 50 fish hooks weigh almost nothing as does hundreds of feet of spider wire. Putting in on a pack is just smart I will do that now.

I watch all those survival shows where they put out one fish basket and catch little or nothing, duh? That is why trot lines work.

The spider wire also give you the option of tying a rock or stick on and fishing 30-40 foot from shore if you need to. I use the 50# a lot and do not know why it could not also be used for snares if propped open with twigs. Anybody tried?

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,612 Posts
Glad you found the idea handy. I spend a lot of time in the bush camping and I can honestly say I use more spider wire than Paracord. I have always used it for fishing because of the strength / diameter ratio and when I replace the line on my reel, I don't want to waste the old stuff so I wrap it on my pack & gear. It also works very well in sewing machines and I have used it to stitch leather and canvas with great results.
I'd add a small container of pure bee's wax as well for emergency sewing jobs if you're using fishing line. Rub some on the line and it'll help with water proofing and make it easier to pull the line through needle holes as you go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I ended up adding two fishing YO-Yos and 6 small game cable snares . I have also added 3 speed hooks . Now I just need to get a pouch to put it all in and a good compass . Then I’m done with this build. Cost more then I thought it would. If I could have got most of the components locally I would have saved quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When you have time
I ended up adding two fishing YO-Yos and 6 small game cable snares . I have also added 3 speed hooks . Now I just need to get a pouch to put it all in and a good compass . Then I’m done with this build. Cost more then I thought it would. If I could have got most of the components locally I would have saved quite a bit of money.

When you have time, post what the items you have in the kit and what it weighs. Do you plan to bug out and give it a test run?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts

Check your local milsurp store, if you have one. I know they will have something to fit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here is what I carry in my kit. This kit has served me well for about 10 years. If I am going camping, I replace the Sccy 9mm with a Ruger SO-101 or 4in. 357, both with 2 speed loaders. Since I don't have a concealed carry license, I carry this kit in a sling hip bag, under the rear seat of my pick-up. With New Mexico laws, I can put the holster on my belt and it's legal to carry that way. One thing I am missing is a canteen. I do carry water in the truck, but if I had to walk miles from the truck, that would be a problem. I am about 66 years old, I not going to strap on a 50 pound pack and lite out cross country, those days are long gone. This list is not set in stone, different items can be added as needed.
Survival Kit
4 inch Mora fixed blade knife Distress Whistle
LED Headlight LED Penlight
Lip balm Dental floss
Coffee candy Map Compass
Sccy 9MM in belt holster Two extra mags in pouch

Hand sanitizer Paper towels
2 Bic lighters GI T. tissue
2 Emergency Thermal blankets NASA wire saw
2 Large plastic trash bags Water filter straw
Gerber multi tool 3 inch Victornox lock-blade knife
Toilet Tissue