Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the shortage of non-corrossive 8x57mm, and my girlfriend's love for all things Mauser, I'm thinking of the economy of rebarreling a Mauser in X39. Wondering what would be the easiest and most cost effective way to do it.

Or would I be better off going with 308, as the barrels are probably easier to find and that's about all it would need compared to the X39?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think it would be a killer project. Though like you said unless you go for custom barrel, Be hard pressed to find a barrrel already chambered for it. Very cool idea, suprised I didn't think about it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
BRG3, over on Gunboards, one of the admins, either Vic or Tuco, showed a pic of his project rifle. He used an SKS barrel, mounted in an Italian Carcano action! The boltface is so close, it required very little modification.
This might be the way to go . . . :)

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, does sound like a good idea. I was assuming the Mauser bolt face would be ok, but perhaps the Carcano one would be better. Guess I could afford to do some research.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Being a rimmed cartridge it will require a good bit of bolt face and extractor work to use the x39 in an 8mm Mauser. The .308 however needs only a barrel change. Everything else matches up.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
BRG, I guess I'll go the obvious way and save you a bunch of money.

RELOAD the 8mm with non corrosive stuff and keep as is. One great round, no modification and you can tailor make it for your needs.

But, if was going to rebarrel, it would be the .308

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rebel727 said:
Being a rimmed cartridge it will require a good bit of bolt face and extractor work to use the x39 in an 8mm Mauser. The .308 however needs only a barrel change. Everything else matches up.
Um, X39 is rimless. Rim is slightly smaller, but not much.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
:D perhaps this is the perfect time to rebarrel a Mosin action :D
What about an Enfield? The Carcanos are cheap but the ammo is outrageous. All the more reason to convert one I guess. A Mauser action would be really long too, but I am sure it can be done like BigDog said with the SKS barrel....that's incrediabily interesting to me, what a cool project.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enfield barrels are the right bore diameter. All it needs is the barrel turned back and rechambered. There's a company doing these called "Special Interest Arms" calling them the Enfield K.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think there's a portugese brand that's the cheapest so far. $10 a box of 20.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Personally I don't see the corrosive ammo as a hinderance. Proper cleaning after the shooting session assures clean bores. I'd rather put my money into inexpensive corrosive ammo and clean the firearms properly, the money you save over the cost of rebarreling will offset the cost of building a pink elephant.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
$10 for 20rnds- sheesh. reloading is the answer. lefty's super hotrod 8x57 mauser using a decent hornady bullet costs just under $6 for 20rnds. with a lower grade bullet and a little less powder(no fun in that), im sure i could come in for about 5.25 a box. get a set of 8x57 dies and go to town reloading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts