Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I want to build a Tactical AR or not.

I don't think I will be going for Colt, but instead maybe a Bushmaster or DCMS(?)

I am going to buy a few C-Mags just for looks and the price has came down so much since the ban was dropped.

Does anyone have any tips for building an AR?

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
DCMS = DPMS :kiss:

A very nice lower set up would be any stripped lower(do not spend more then $130 on a stripped lower, there is no point unless you just want to waste money for a logo), a RRA or Stag LPK, a Magpul MIAD grip, and a Magpul CTR stock. If I were building another AR right now I'd use a mil spec tube instead of a commercial tube. Stag, Colt, Vltor(I think) and Magpul stocks all use a mil-spec tube(they do however make commercial versions). For an upper I would go with a 16" stainless steel barrel and a free float railed forearm. I've just gotten on this kick about SS barrels. Their much more accurate then a standard barrel and cost the same as standard barrel thats chrome lined.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't decide what type of stock to go with.

They have this pipe looking one that goes under your arm which I thought looked pretty sweet. Then they also have the thin stock that makes it look more tactical.

I am thinking I want to make it a shorty.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It all depends on if you have the money to go out and get everything at once, or you are putting it together on budget and there are a few weeks in between each part.

Always start out with a stripped lower and lower parts kit.(The RRA w/ the 2 stage trigger is a great one for the $) You will pay a lot for Bushmaster, but that isn't such a bad thing though because you know what you are getting with Bushmaster. There is a DPMS dealer down here who happens to be one of my friends and he sells me lowers for $80, NIB and that is what I use. You can't go wrong with Stag also. If I were you I would just do a lot of research on the kind of rifle you want to put together and I am sure Pred or USMS can steer you in the right direction. Midwayusa.com has every single piece you need that wont break your budget. I have seen some nice budget rifles with Magpul stocks, grips, and lots of goodies for under $850. If you spend your money wisely you will get a nice rifle for a good price.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chris,

I got a lot of good education just looking at the auctions on auctionarms.com, or gunbroker.com looking at the lowers, and uppers, and then seeing what the uppers on ebay are selling for.

The barrell selection with Chrome liners, and stainless barrell will get confusing with twist ratio's, you would have to consult with someone knows ballistics, and the barrells.

It is amazing in prices, and variations that you can get into.

I own a DPMS panther, and it has the 3 position tubular stalk that you are referring too. It is nice, to go compact, and then extend it out for shooting. I removed my carry handle, and went with a Millet Red dot scope because of their reasonable price, and the warranty that they withstand even the 460 handgunners.

You can get a scope attatchment that bolts through the predrilled hole on top of the carry handle that puts the scope slightly higher than the original peep sights on the handle. Just depends on your height, and if that is what you want.

I do see the long range flip sights that go on the rail after the handle is removed, but I am preferred to the scope.

The titanium bolts are suppose to be absolutely outstanding compared to a chrome plated bolt also. I just haven't gotten around to spending that $130.00 for one just yet.

Someone may be able to comment better on that.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which one do I have to fill out a 4473 for? Just the upper right?

Thanks for those links guys! I am going to do a little more studing and prepare for an awesome adventure of putting it together.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Is the 4473 the one for the FFL transfer? If so, that only applies to lowers. You can order everything and have it delivered to your door except for the lower, which has to do the FFL transfer dance. If you can find a lower in town it might make life easier, it did for me.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can handle the FFL transfer part, or at least it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I think I want to go with DPMS

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Great choice! I have seen them on gunbroker for around $100.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also wanted to point out this rifle would be for plinking. I'm not into hunting very much, but I find it relaxing during the summer to do a bit of target shooting.

I guess I will have to look into optics soon enough.

Thanks so much info guys. I am going to order piece by piece and put it together slowly over the next 6-7 months hopefully.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is what I did. You get to know the rifle inside and out, plus you get exactly what you want. Look on the equipment exchange on ar15.com, you can score stuff at great prices, far less than retail. My buddy got an Acog for $500 used, not bad.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
If your building/buying an AR simply for plinking, something to have fun with, buy an upper thats chambered for the 5.56 NATO round. Supposedly the 5.56 uppers(barrels actually) are built to withstand greater pressure, and able to handle rounds with imperfections. While you lose some accuracy because of this, you gain greater reliability. Now, does all this still apply to todays AR's, maybe, maybe not. The military uses uppers that are chrome lined and have the 5.56 chamber. If it works for them, it will work for me. And really the best of both worlds would be to buy a stainless steel barrel with the Wylde chamber. Great accuracy with the ability to use both rounds. My next AR, this will be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts