Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 10/22. I'd like to shoot it as accurately as I can. I currently have the standard barrel and am wondering if I'd do any better to buy and install a bull barrel myself.

I'm thinking this would be for 50-100yd tack driving, but maybe I'm not worthy of such accuracy.

Would I be wiser to buy a bull barrel for the Ruger, or would I be better off just buying a Remington 597 (which has a more accurate action with two action guide rods instead of Ruger's one)?

I can't sell the Ruger cause I made a custom target stock for it. I'm thinkin of maybe getting the "other" 22 in 22 WMR, though there's no practicality to it since in PA you can't hunt with it.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
best bang for the buck in 10/22 bull barrels is green mountain barrels, after that prices go up- volquartsen, magnum research , lilja, shilen. i'd just stay away from butler creek garbage. you'll also want to do some trigger work.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Bull barrel definitely. Mine shoots dime size holes with 10 shots at 50yds. And it was the cheapest .920 barrel I could find at the time for $65.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is it something I can install on my own? Dime size at 50 sounds good.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked Green Mountain, can't touch them for under $100. Anything more like what you paid?

·
Registered
934 Posts
You should be able to change the pipe yourself BR, nuttin to it! I really like the Volquartsen tension barrel - the one that's carbon fiber wrapped. That's the one I used on my 10/22 and it is a tack driver! I guess the biggest advantage of that barrel is weight?

·
Registered
586 Posts
BRG3,
I put an Adams & Bennett bull bbl from Midway on my son's 10/22 Along with a laminated stock and Dayton-Trasiter trigger. It will shoot Eley 10X into .490 @ 50yds(10 shots), and Fed Amer. Eagle el-cheapo HV hps into .530(10 shots). These sell for about $80 and have a match chamber.

Dave375

PS; I bought two cases of the American Eagle's

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a heavy barrel and semi-inletted stock from Midway. As mentioned the barrel is .920 in diameter, the change out is easy. The barrel is held in place with two allen head cap screws. Bolt the new barrel in place and it's ready. Headspace is not an issue. The stock has a barrel channel large enough to fit the larger barrel. You will have to modify the custom stock you made. I am confident you will be impressed by the accuracy. At the gun club where I am a member, we have guys shooting this combination in .22 benchrest competitions.
Indy

·
Registered
10 Posts
BattleRifleG3, about august last year i began working on my first and so far only ruger 10/22 myself. i had no gunsmithing tools or knowhow, still dont hahaha. but i have really surprised myself with what i had done.

what was used:

Weaver tip-off Weaver-style base Ruger 10/22 #TO-9M Matte
Power Custom competition hammer ruger 10/22
Simmons 8 point scope 3-9x 50mm truplex reticle matte
Weaver 1" top mount-rings extra-high matte
Clerke .920 bull barrel 16"
Volquartsen Ruger 10/22 Bolt Recoil Buffer
Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
Ruger factory wood stock, cut back just behind the barrel band and hollowed out to accept bullbarrel , free floated full length from V-block to end of stock.
was real satisfying to see and feel the end result. many groundsqirrels have met their end hehehe.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
i posted under the manufacturers, marlin, a post about my marlin model 25 i have, which at the time i got it, it was very rough looking. was as though someone used it for a prybar or bat and had shattered the stock, which i just cut the splintered forestock off and freefloated the barrel, more than less hahaha. put a cheap $16 dollar scope on it cuz it didnt have a rear sight, bought a magazine for it, did some welding to fix the trunion that holds the lockwork in place and fixed the safety so it wouldnt fire when a live round was in chamber and putting it back into fire position would make it fire! this gun was in sad shape. now it is a shooter, since i put the trigger pull down to about 2.5 pounds and real smooth and crisp, still have work to do on it but will take time doing it, money thing , im so tight with money my wife calls me squeeky hehe. in time i will have a scope comparable to what i have on my 10/22 and shop around to find other accessories/goodies to put on it. i can see heaping piles of dead groundsqirrels in the future hehehe.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts