Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only do a small amount of reloading, 100 to 200 rounds keeps me happy for awhile. On occasion I've needed to pull some bullets for various reasons. I used the kinetic-hammer puller and, while it worked, sometimes it took a lot of effort for a single pull. Now however I found myself needing to pull 60 bullets of cartridges for which I don't have a firearm. (I know the best solution is to get another firearm, but ...). So I checked YouTube and discovered that there are a lot of different ways to pull bullets, usually with a $ amount attached such as for a collet or specialty die but one particular method intrigued me: using a press to raise the cartridge above where the die normally screws in, grab the bullet with pliers and lower the ram. They used various pliers, including wire cutter pliers, or specialty grabbers (at $50 ea.) and often the bullets were damaged, even if only slightly. So I went a-shopping on the Lowes website and found soft-jaw pliers meant for no-damage plumbing applications, like shower heads, etc. Just $14 and picked up today. Works like a charm! I pulled 60 bullets in about 15 minutes, give or take. Bullets completely undamaged and all the powder recovered for another day.

for those interested: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Pliers/1002633462

softgrip pliers.jpg

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts
I have some of those slip on pads I bought years ago at a discount tool store. Have used them for numerous jobs. Great application! Improvise, adapt and overcome!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ingenuity is mans best friend!! Not to throw this a little off topic, but is it worth it now to get into reloading? I mean starting from scratch and everything being soo hard to find. Just wonder if the investment in equipment is worth it?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
no...
you ain't gonna find anything [at least for a price even close to reasonable] and you'll just aggravate yourself to tears trying to put a whole outfit together.

put the money away and wait.
things will come back around again, and the recent price increases will go away as soon as everyone has filled their basement with stuff they'll never use.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ingenuity is mans best friend!! Not to throw this a little off topic, but is it worth it now to get into reloading? I mean starting from scratch and everything being soo hard to find. Just wonder if the investment in equipment is worth it?
Depends on how much diversity a guy needs for loads. I am picky so I do lots of work. Sometimes weigh every charge and other time consuming steps. But if a person say just loads the same formula for say a half dozen calibers, it can be pretty simple. For example, taking the cheapest Lee bench mounted press and Lee dies. If I guy loads 30-06, the same bullet and powder every time, he can use a dipper and wipe off the excess and get a very precise load. He sets the length one time and never touches it again, he uses the little Lee case trimmer that fits a drill and the powder dipper goes in with that die.
The he moves to say 9mm, same thing, everything fits in that little box with the dies. Then say he moves on to 44 mag, same deal. And he can add as many as he likes. I have maybe 15 powders in my shop today, but actually I could get by with about 4, two for pistols, one fast and one slow, and the same with rifles. I he just shoots paper at 200 yards or less, then he could get by with one rifle powder and one pistol powder.

At $1 or more per round it adds up. I shoot 257 and 300 Weatherby a lot. Most ammo was $3-$4 each before now the price is nuts. Even at today's prices I can load premium ammo like Accubonds for 80-90 cents. I have a half dozen presses, but I can and do load the Weatherby's on one of the cheap Lee pressess. I have one mounted on a board that I keep in my RV. And while I tend to weigh the powder for each hunting load to insure max accuracy, I can load those high capacity cases with dippers very precisely. Anyway, my thought is if you only shoot 200 rounds per year and you have 1,000 round stash, forget about loading. But if you shoot much at all, a small setup is worth it.
Just saying

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I will.also right now unless you have several cultivated sources for components and gear and a bunch of time and patience to search for none scalpers prices on things like dies....no not not now and not if you're a little green on what's actually being sold.
I expect some con jobs popping up and I've seen price goughing on fleabay and Amazon also as far as dies and other gear. IMHO, there's a bunch of jackwagons out buying gear and trying to get double or close of the retail price. 😡

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Find somebody asking, "Is it still worth it to keep this reloading gear if I can't buy components?"

Tell them no and then buy all their stuff for pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
probably could have started another discussion, pulling this one back to bullet pulling is going to be difficult. It was a great question though.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,410 Posts
If you get a good deal on a press I’d say go for it. As far as ‘worth it’ depends; components (especially primers) will be scarce for a long time in that the manufacturers of cartridges are the same ones who make primers and obviously can not only make more money using them for their own cartridges but also have huge backlogs. But depending on WHAT you reload you might or might not be able to find components — so I’d do some research. And at least save your brass for potential use later.

·
Registered
352 Posts
probably could have started another discussion, pulling this one back to bullet pulling is going to be difficult. It was a great question though.
Yea and I should have put your user as I was directing my question at you in the first place. Lol . Sorry!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've reloaded and shot A LOT of 38 cal lead bullets pulled with side cuts like you described. I was AMAZED the first time I shot a hand full of those and decided right there I wasn't recasting those. I bought ammo boxes FULL of those at an auction for the value of the lead. Heck I shoot 'em all the time any more.

Reactions: bsshog40

·
Super Moderator
11,543 Posts
This will rely on how much shooting you honestly expect to be doing. Brother and I started reloading around 80s. We have shot a lot of the years, so we are ahead of the game. If you shoot weekly of bi weekly.....reload. Otherwise get what is available and have fun. Reloading does have one distinct advantage. You can tailor your loads for both accuracy and velocity. I work for accuracy with 308 & 223 and work toward velocity with handgun. I can load back .40 loads to about 880 to 900 fps with 165 gr bullet and recoil is pretty mild.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I only do a small amount of reloading, 100 to 200 rounds keeps me happy for awhile. On occasion I've needed to pull some bullets for various reasons. I used the kinetic-hammer puller and, while it worked, sometimes it took a lot of effort for a single pull. Now however I found myself needing to pull 60 bullets of cartridges for which I don't have a firearm. (I know the best solution is to get another firearm, but ...). So I checked YouTube and discovered that there are a lot of different ways to pull bullets, usually with a $ amount attached such as for a collet or specialty die but one particular method intrigued me: using a press to raise the cartridge above where the die normally screws in, grab the bullet with pliers and lower the ram. They used various pliers, including wire cutter pliers, or specialty grabbers (at $50 ea.) and often the bullets were damaged, even if only slightly. So I went a-shopping on the Lowes website and found soft-jaw pliers meant for no-damage plumbing applications, like shower heads, etc. Just $14 and picked up today. Works like a charm! I pulled 60 bullets in about 15 minutes, give or take. Bullets completely undamaged and all the powder recovered for another day.

for those interested: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Pliers/1002633462

View attachment 162134
My favorite method, for jacketed bullets, is to use needle nose pliers, or a multi tool. Before pulling, always bump the bullets a little deeper with your seating die. That breaks the neck tension, and the bullets pull easier. Place the round in a shellholder. Raise the ram. Squeeze the bullet with the pliers, while holding them vertically. Lower the ram, pull the brass away from the bullet. The pliers self tighten, and hold only as tightly as needed to pull the bullet. At most you will get very light scratches. With an aluminium press, I use a Lee fcd body to protect the threads. It is not needed with cast iron or steel. For pistol rounds I use a steel lockring.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I use a plastic bullet puller that acts like a hammer. Place the bullet into the plastic into the plastic head. I hit it against a 2x4 forcing the bullet out of the case. Works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts
Mine shattered last time I used it. Wasn’t super wacking it either. Surprised the crap out of me!!o_O

1 - 19 of 19 Posts