Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a couple of these the other day on gunbroker.com: an AK-47 configured as a bullpup rifle.

I've long been convinced that in terms of military rifles, the next big advance would be for someone to make a rifle-caliber military rifle like the M-14, the FAL or the AK-47 in a bullpup configuration. The Tavor rifle the Israelis are starting to replace their poodle shooters with would be just about perfect if they'd chamber it for 7.62 NATO instead of 5.56 NATO. So it seems someone shares my view and is building a bullpup AK out of kit parts.

Does anyone out there own one? How does it shoot? Is it lighter than a conventional AK? Any information would be appreciated, as I am nore than a little tempted by this one.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
whats the advantage to that setup? other than the kicka$$ looks?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
The Chinese Army is already fielding a new Bullpup rifle based on the AK action.
Advantages - full length barrel with a shorter overall length, great for vehicle carry and stowage. Good for tight confines in urban warfare.
Disadvantages - most are horribly balanced, and the high sights are quirky. Short sight radius too, making longer distance shooting less accurate. Ergonomics are usually not as good as a standard rifle - quick mag changes take practice. Also not good for a lefty to shoot, unless the action can be 'reversed' as to ejection. Either way, proper breathing is necesary to prevent a lungful of powder gases.

My experience is that only two Bullpups are decent enough to make a proper battle rifle - the Steyr AUG and the Bushmaster M17S - both well balanced, and use M-16/AR15 magazines.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the bullpups take optics?

Kinghtrider, thanks for the info. It's great when comments are from folks who own the piece in question.

One things: Big Dog complained about the sights and the short sight radius in particular on the bullpup AK. Being that I'm not getting any younger and even after PRK laser surgery I still suffer from astigmatism to some extent, I'd like to know if it is possible to mount an optical sight on it. I'm thinking of at least a red dot, and maybe something better.

Your thoughts on this?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
Optics - Yep, that's usually the best way to go! Most good Bullpups include a rail for optics. My M17S has no iron sights, being an early 'pre-ban' model. I use a 2-7X40 scope, and sometimes a Red Dot sight.

Heat - oh yeah! After a couple mags thru it - it could cook a burger! Many owners use a vertical grip to make holding it more comfy. Often this requires mounting a rail under the forward receiver.

Me and my 'Pup . . .

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb216/Bigdog1090/BigdogwithhisBushpup.jpg

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Any AK bullpup with the standard charging handle should have a huge warning to never be fired by lefties. One fellow lost his two front teeth that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct They Had Them

They are taking backorders @ this time, When they did get in they lasted about a month! First come first served is the way i see it, Thanks for correcting my error!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I sold my chinese AK47 imported in the 80's. It was fair at best, but really was piss poor compared to the more modern rifles such as the FN FS2000. There really needs to be a better setup for the AK, as there is far too much movement and noise to be remotely accurate beyond 200 yards as a bullpup, IMO. I am on a wait list for a new bullpup kit for the SKS, which I think would have more potential as a bullpup conversion compared to an AK, simply because the battering is not as bad and the length of the SKS barrel would keep accuracy a bit better. I plan on keeping my Yugo with the 10 round internal mag and reload with 10 round stripper clips. Anyway, it might become my BOB weapon of choice if it ever gets here.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
I've seen a LOT of norinco bull pups and handled a couple they seem to have TAPCO or similar parts. BLECH! cheap crap! Those KVAR parts look GREAT though.

I wouldn't do that to my MAK, she's too perfect, I'd LOVE to do it to a 74, or Saiga .410!!!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
This bullpup I had was all metal... only the vertical forearm grip was polymer. It also was like the AUG in that the grip looked identical and also folded forward. It was a pretty neat looking rifle and also came with a bayonet. It was a rare one I should have kept.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That looks like it would be akward to handle. I mean with the clips length. WOuld definitley take some getting used to.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
That looks like it would be akward to handle. I mean with the clips length. WOuld definitley take some getting used to.

Indeed, but the benefits of having assault rifle fire power in sub machine gun size are pretty big up close.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts