close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bush Was Warned of Hijacking Plot

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, May 15, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

This bothers me...If the goverment will admit this much...welp I kinda wounder what they are NOT admiting....am I just paranode? Am I reading too much into this stuff? Would love some input. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bush Was Warned of Hijacking Plot
    By RON FOURNIER AP White House Correspondent
    published 09:41 PM - MAY 15, 2002 Eastern Time

WASHINGTON (AP) _ In the weeks before the Sept. 11 attacks, President Bush was told by U.S. intelligence that Osama bin Laden's terrorist network might hijack American airplanes, prompting the administration to issue a private warning to federal agencies, the White House acknowledged Wednesday night.

But officials said the president and U.S. intelligence did not know that suicide hijackers were plotting to use planes as missiles, as they did against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

"There has been long-standing speculation, shared with the president, about the potential of hijackings in the traditional sense," White House press secretary Ari Fleischer said. "We had general threats involving Osama bin Laden around the world and including in the United States."

He said the administration, acting on the information received last summer, notified the "appropriate agencies" that hijackings "in the traditional sense" were possible. The warning was never made public, he said.

The development, first reported by CBS News, comes as congressional investigators intensify their study of whether the government failed to adequately respond to warnings of a suicide hijackings before Sept. 11. It is the first direct link between Bush and intelligence gathered before Sept. 11 about the attacks.

Fleischer would not discuss when or how the information was given to Bush, but a senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the president was made aware of the potential for hijackings of U.S. planes during one or more routine intelligence briefings last summer.

The CIA would not confirm what it told Bush, but the agency said the issue of bin Laden's attempting an airline hijacking was among a number of terrorist methods raised to U.S. government officials at the time.

But there was no information that suggested hijackers would crash planes into American landmarks and there was no mention of a date, a CIA official said.

The information was based on intelligence obtained by the U.S. government, the official said, without specifying.

"I will tell you there was, of course, a general awareness of Osama bin Laden and threats around the world, including the United States; and if you recall, last summer we publicly alerted and gave a warning about potential threats on the Arabian peninsula," Fleischer said.

But he said Bush had never been told about the potential for suicide hijackers steering the planes toward U.S targets.

Still, acting on the information the government did have, the administration "notified the appropriate agencies. I think that's one of the reasons that we saw the people who committed the 9-11 attacks used box cutters and plastic knives to get around America's system of protecting against hijackers," he said.

Fleischer said he did not know what agencies were notified or what they were told.

The Associated Press reported earlier this month that FBI headquarters did not act on a memo last July from its Arizona office warning there were a large number of Arabs seeking pilot, security and airport operations training at at least one U.S. flight school and which urged a check of all flight schools to identify more possible Middle Eastern students.

A section of that classifi ed memo also makes a passing reference to Osama bin Laden, speculating that al-Qaida and other such groups could organize such flight training, officials said. The officials said, however, that the memo offered no evidence bin Laden was behind the students that raised the concern.

Sen. Bob Graham, D-Fla., the Senate Intelligence Committee chairman, said through a spokesman Wednesday that the revelations in the memos marked an important discovery in Congress' investigation into why the FBI, CIA and other U.S. agencies failed to learn of and prevent the Sept. 11 plot.

"It represents a failure to connect the dots," said Graham spokesman Paul Anderson. "This was dismissed rather lightly at FBI headquarters."

The FBI also has faced tough questioning about whether it failed to act aggressively enough after arresting Zacarias Moussaoui, a Frenchman of Moroccan descent, in August after he raised concerns by seeking flight training at a Minnesota flight school.

Moussaoui has emerged as the lone defendant charged in the aftermath of the attacks, which killed more than 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania. He is charged with conspiring with bin Laden and the 19 suicide hijackers to attack Americans.

FBI Director Robert Mueller repeatedly has said he wished the FBI had acted more aggressively in addressing the Arizona and Minnesota leads but said nothing the FBI possessed before Sept. 11 pointed to the multiple-airliner hijacking plot.
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

This is sort of a "no news item" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm surprised this so called "scoup story" even made the news. It's an old, old, story living in a country made up of nearly all immigrants (except for the native indians).

The U.S.A. has threats made against us almost daily, according to news reports. This so called news article about Bush having prior knowledge of an attack wasn't anything they hadn't heard many times before. The problem was sorting out the kooks from the serious and identifying where and when. That can be next to impossible to predict in a "free" society.

I don't think internment of all persons of a particular race is the solution, like the Japanese during WWII. Definitely removing foreign visitors, or non citizens, who have made threats against the U.S., should be aggressivly enforced.

3. There are so many threats against the US, on a DAILY basis, that the FBI and CIA's switchboard lights would be lit more than the Xmas tree in Times Square. In fact, to operate a switchboard to handle every call personally (including prelimanary investigations into the threats) would require an office staff of nearly 10,000 additional staff (every major city has at least one FBI office and some have several).

A comparable situation would make most metropolitan 911 dispatch centers look like chit chat at the water cooler.

The issue of the Phoenix FBI office alerting the Washington headquarters of middle easterners taking flight school here in Arizona is, from all I can see, hearsay. From what we gather here it's one agent's word he made the alert...did he? Are some higher ups wrong for not paying attention. Has the agent an axe to grind or a limelight to step in? Who knows?

If it surfaces that his alert was actually made.....do we respond to every 'hunch' an agent gets? I mean do we REALLY think that the several hundred flight schools in the valley here called each other to compare notes and then notified the FBI? Certainly the FBI wasn't concerned with who took flight school training until September 11th. I can't believe they were. IF they were watching that who was watching all the other things that need watching?

From the reports I have read thus far the White House had info about some activity involving plane hijacking but was not specific in the threat contents. Knowing that I'm not sure how any combination of agencies, with limited man power, could string a dragnet well enough to cover every imaginable threat possibility.

Last edited: May 16, 2002
  4. I agree, I am sure that the number of threats made on a daily basis are numerous. The article didn't specifically state if the Federal agencies notified in turned notified the airlines of the hightened possibility of hijackings. If the airlines and their security were notified it would be more disturbing that individuals on an FBI watch list with box cutters were still able to get onboard not 1 but 4 airlines.

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a modern version of the story about the boy who cried wolf. after so many alerts agencys involved can get lackadasicle.

6. In 1962 a small group of public war mongers tried to politically crucify Kennedy over his unwillingness to fully engage the Russians and Cubans (and perhaps the Chinese) during the Cuban missile crisis saying they wanted all the truth on what the Russians were storing in Cuba. I believe this frame of mind led to Kennedy's assassination.

In 1972 the liberal media went after Richard Nixon and demanded truth about the Watergate break-ins. Nixon failed to own up and this obviously lead to Nixon's resignation in lieu of an impeachment.

In 1985 and 1986 Reagan was involved in illegal arms dealing with Iran to which Reagan never admitted to and this led to further mistrust of the oval office.

In 1998 all the American public asked of Clinton was to confess his wrong doings and the American public might forgive his laison with Lewinski.

Now, in 2002, I read in articles published by a very leftist and liberal media that because Bush and the White House admitted some knowledge of some terrorist threat (though not specific) it's time for tar and feathers.

And we, as the public, wonder WHY the White House is reluctant in coming forth with the truth?

Personally, knowing how the news media and liberal public are sitting back, licking their chops, waiting for the lamb at the slaughter, I can, sometimes, understand why the government is reluctant in sharing the truth. As Jack Nicholson said, I say to the liberal news media and public...."You can't handle the truth!"

I say this with much humility and religious respect for our Lord, but I'm afraid if Jesus Christ was a modern political figure then the media and leftist public would be Pontious Pilot as the majority of Americans look for a scape goat for all the woes of the US and the world.

Just my opinion......yepper.

Last edited: May 17, 2002
  7. Fred Vetter

Fred Vetter G&G Newbie

Can't handle the truth? I think we could, but we won't ever
    get it. There is to much money to be made off of the public, for
    the GOV. to tell us the truth. Fred

8. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Simple solution would have been to allow CCW holders to carry on planes

9. Where Have We Been ?

Is this the first time we've seen democrats, with the backing of their media, attack a non-democrat. Hell, they're swetting the congressional elections and know they have a lot to loose.
    Remember the presidential election if you doubt that they'll stop at nothing to pull things to their side.
    Anything can be blown out of perspective.