Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been wanting to get into some more primitive camping lately and put together a bit of kit with mostly what i have already along with a few new items as well.

possibly sometime soon ill find a chance to test it out with a brief overnighter away from the rig and typical camp site. drive up a mountain road, park the truck somewhere and then walk into the mountain side a ways to find a nice plan to set up camp for the night, bushcraft style.

I have been wanting a nice wool blanket lately so my wife got me one for my birthday! its pretty large and thick but should be nice and comfy as long as its not too cold out.
she also got me a backpacking style tarp, which is also a fairly generous size.

Im thinking of doing something like this type of shelter with a fire in front of it:
Triangle Rectangle Creative arts Parallel Font

though there are a few others on this site i may try out as well:

Goal is for the kit to just have the basics, wood cutting tools, a small stove, metal pot, fire making materials, tarp, blanket and some food and water.

kind of modern cowboy style, or also something similar to what many early 18 and 19thcentury military soldiers would have done.

here is the current item list:

I realize there are all kinds of things i could add or remove, just trying to keep it simple and vintage, no super modern stuff( except flashlight and compass)

pack:
maxpedition pygmy falcon II
stanley pot& metal cup
metal fork and spoon
stove
bed roll:
blanket
tarp
shemagh
knife(2) large and small
hatchet
folding saw
water bottle(2 steel)
cordage 50 ft 550
fire starters (lighter and ferro rod)
light
wool socks
beanie
gloves

food stuff
diy 24 hr ration
filters
coffee
cone
first aid:
antibioitic ointment
bandaids/bandages
alcohol wipes
toiletries:
wet wipes
toothpaste/brush
soap
hand sanitzer
lip balm
hand lotion
TP

More to come , just getting thoughts together here, im sure there will be changes. any bushcrafters or primitives campers in here have any experience to share?

ive spent a lot of time outdoors but its usually vehicle born/ based as im into off roading, but would like to venture out from that a bit. also im tired of bringing what seems like a ton of gear with me every time i go out, so maybe this will help me trim it down some!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty good list. I would add:
  • bug repellent
  • sun block
  • water purification (tablets, iodine, or a filter)

I know water purification is technically covered already by means of a shemagh/bandana for filtering large particulates and then boiling for treatment but it’s much easier to carry other means of treatment. In my day hike pack, I carry chlor-floc because it not only purifies water very quickly but it also separates/settles out solids. I also carry a bottle of iodine for dual purpose in my first aid pouch. Although I will admit that it’s been many years since I’ve used iodine as a water treatment method because it tastes awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep i have some water purification tabs on the way, just in case i need them.

I have some bug repelelnt but not sunscreen, ill add that.

Im goin back and forth on switching to another larger pack, but i really want to keep it small and simple so im trying to resist that.

Shovel is a good one, I need to find a light weight shovel.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think im going to have to go with the larger pack, it just wont be 100% full, which is kinda nice, I could likely make the smaller one work but it would be stuffed to the gills which sucks if you just need to get one thing out.

larger pack:
( I have removed the side and lower pouches. )

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Ive been wanting to get into some more primitive camping lately and put together a bit of kit with mostly what i have already along with a few new items as well.

possibly sometime soon ill find a chance to test it out with a brief overnighter away from the rig and typical camp site. drive up a mountain road, park the truck somewhere and then walk into the mountain side a ways to find a nice plan to set up camp for the night, bushcraft style.

I have been wanting a nice wool blanket lately so my wife got me one for my birthday! its pretty large and thick but should be nice and comfy as long as its not too cold out.
she also got me a backpacking style tarp, which is also a fairly generous size.

Im thinking of doing something like this type of shelter with a fire in front of it:
View attachment 175172

though there are a few others on this site i may try out as well:

Goal is for the kit to just have the basics, wood cutting tools, a small stove, metal pot, fire making materials, tarp, blanket and some food and water.

kind of modern cowboy style, or also something similar to what many early 18 and 19thcentury military soldiers would have done.

here is the current item list:

I realize there are all kinds of things i could add or remove, just trying to keep it simple and vintage, no super modern stuff( except flashlight and compass)

pack:
maxpedition pygmy falcon II
stanley pot& metal cup
metal fork and spoon
stove
bed roll:
blanket
tarp
shemagh
knife(2) large and small
hatchet
folding saw
water bottle(2 steel)
cordage 50 ft 550
fire starters (lighter and ferro rod)
light
wool socks
beanie
gloves

food stuff
diy 24 hr ration
filters
coffee
cone
first aid:
antibioitic ointment
bandaids/bandages
alcohol wipes
toiletries:
wet wipes
toothpaste/brush
soap
hand sanitzer
lip balm
hand lotion
TP

Coffee ought to be higher on the list. Just sayin'

More to come , just getting thoughts together here, im sure there will be changes. any bushcrafters or primitives campers in here have any experience to share?

ive spent a lot of time outdoors but its usually vehicle born/ based as im into off roading, but would like to venture out from that a bit. also im tired of bringing what seems like a ton of gear with me every time i go out, so maybe this will help me trim it down some!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright folks ive almost got this thing dialed in, waiting on a few more items to arrive. I ended up ordering a Solo stove lite and 900ml pot combo. i had a rewards perk from work that allowed me to get it free of charge, like a $100 value! this will be the main cook set, ill still add a metal cup and maybe one more pot or pan.

this is in addition to a new Stainless steel grill and canvas waterproof treated tarp. yes this will be heavy, but I dont plan to carry it far. my plan is to drive my 4x4 vehicle to a remote location and then hike several hundred yards from the parking spot to find a suitable camp. the idea is for this to be a test of me and the gear im choosing to bring out.

once everything is in my possession ill take some photographs of the complete set up.

my goal is to use "old school"; gear where practical, minimize modern materials and technology. I will have a few led lights with me, just in case i have to hoof it back to the truck in the middle of the night.

·
Super Moderator
14,334 Posts
So where are you off to? Is it a hunting trip or just a general field trip? Please do add pictures, I love to see what people are carrying/using.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So where are you off to? Is it a hunting trip or just a general field trip? Please do add pictures, I love to see what people are carrying/using.

Im just going to do a simple hike in, camp, hike out, some national forest or blm land in colorado.

ill take some pics if i remember! i struggle with that because the whole purpose of me doing these outdoorsy things is to get away form society and technology.

im just learning the more primitive "bushcraft style" camping so ill probably do a few overnighters as i figure out the gear and if its really what i want to be doing!

ever since a kid i loved journey to the center of the earth, indiana jones, old westerns, ww2 movies and history, so i like that older style of preparedness kit.

usually i have my entire truck kitted out and packed to the gills with survival, camping, revocery equipment, tools etc etc.

so i think it will be very liberating to have it empty except my "bushpack" in the back and me, looking for some where to get lost for a little while.

then, putting on my pack and leaving the truck behind me is where it really gets exciting!

I'll probably throw a modern sleeping bag in the truck just in case my whole idea fails and i got running back to the truck in the middle of the night!

·
Super Moderator
14,334 Posts
I'd love to pack up, go out and just see how long I could make it. Kind of an ALONE thing. I'd pack food for a few days...long enough to get a warm, dry shelter assembled, but after that, it'd be up to me to create table fare!!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd love to pack up, go out and just see how long I could make it. Kind of an ALONE thing. I'd pack food for a few days...long enough to get a warm, dry shelter assembled, but after that, it'd be up to me to create table fare!!

yeah i'd love to do that one day too! its hard for me to get more than a week or so at once to get lost like that, but maybe one day!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright I just received a treated canvas tarp. my plan was to use this as a ground cover / sleeping roll.

it's 6x8 and alittle heavy. Im wondering if it wouldnt make sense to cut it down to 2 6x4 sections and sew or otherwise seal the cut edges.

this would make it little more useable size and cut weight in half. anyone have thoughts on that?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
after thinking an measuring abit i think i like the 6x8 size for the ground cloth, so ill hold off on cutting it, the problem is becoming weight, with water and food its adding up, but i think i can make it work. i have packed and repacked everything a few times now and getting better at it.

its looking like i wont be able to get out to the woods for at least 2 weeks, but hopefully shortly after that will be time.

planning to bring the stoeger str-9 and my .300 blk ar pistol. i may swap the 9mm for a .22lr revolver.

current pack out list:

pack:
3v gear paratus X
cooking:
SoloStove X
SSteel grill X
solopot X
Cup X
titanium fork & spoon X

bed roll:
Wool blanket X 5x7
canvas tarp X 6x8
Misc:
shemagh X
knifes- 2-mora&gerber X
hatchet X
folding saw X
SHOVEL X
water bottles(2 ss 750ml) X
.500ml bottle
cordage 550 & 325 X
fire kit X
lights ( 2 - head&hand) X
gloves X
compass X
shelter tarp X 10x10
first aid X
toiletries:
wet wipes X
toothpaste/brush X
soap X
hand sanitzer X
carmex X
TP X
bug reppelent X
Clothing:
socks X
beanie X
warm layers ?
water/windbreak ?
food stuff

diy 24 hr mre
lunch - sandwhich
snack - summer sausage, crackers, cheese
dinner - beans & brats
late night snack - soup
breakfast - oatmeal, muffin, egg, cheese, sausage
coffee & filters

this is a ton of food and 2ltrs of water, which should be plenty if not too much for an overnighter, but if i get lost or something ill have enough food, water might get tight unless i can find a stream or lake after a few days. ill keep a gallon or more in my truck which will be within a few hours or less walking distance so that is comforting.

·
Wonderment :)
36,378 Posts
MosinRuger: Sir; good list. I may have overlooked “shovel” 🧐. But. 😁
clearing your floor site can be done with “brush broom” “creepy crawlers n ants” 😜

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MosinRuger: Sir; good list. I may have overlooked “shovel” 🧐. But. 😁
clearing your floor site can be done with “brush broom” “creepy crawlers n ants” 😜

NO i missed it in the list. I did find my old little folding shovel however so it is part of the kit; list updated.

I must say, being on the ground with out an encapsulating shelter( like a tent with screens and zippers) my main worry is not being cold, its the creepy crawlers crawling on me at night that has me worried!

ill use a good bit of deet and try to smoke out most of the critters before i get in for the night, but still.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So today i recieved the solo stove lite camp stove, it was also supposed to come with a pot that the stove nestles in but that wasnt included so im dealing with customer service, hopefully they will just send me what they should have to begin with.

once i have that in order im going to go through it all, weed out whats not necessary or duplicate, and sort outwater, how much, how to store and pack etc. then food.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts