Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
Bushmaster.

I like the DPMS stuff though, they have some sexy setups if you are doing them right.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I own a Bushy, but do like the DPMS offerings. I was actually waiting to buy a DPMS when a friend needed to unload some of his collection and I ended up with a Bushy as my first AR.

From what I have seen, reviews of the new Smith and Wesson AR-15 have been really good.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Yeah but S&W AR's are way to expensive for what they are. Their site says $1200 for their cheapest AR, to much money. From what I've read, DPMS and Double Star get the same reviews. If you buy one chances are you'll want to replace the LPK's in them. I know Double Star has crappy LPK's, but really nice uppers(actually its the sister company J&T but....) and nice lowers. Also Double Stars bolt carrier groups are kind of iffy also. Now DPMS, I think makes a decent bolt carrier group, but for the money you could get a better one. As for BCG's the best by far is Colt, but you'll pay for it, maybe $100 more. Bushmasters are over priced too, well about everything they have is, but its still good stuff. RRA, Stag, CMT, and LMT make top notch BCG's, all around $130.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I got mine for 700, but it was definatley not the retail price. I was lucky.:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
bushmaster or other

sorry I took so long to reply to your email, I have been sicker than a dog for the last 2 days, I do love the bushmaster it has a good warranty as does my Armalite it has a lifetime warranty, for the price and quality I would now go for DPMS or RRA and even Eagle Arms. The DEA recently chose Rock River Arms for their agents and the Texas Hwy. Patrol chose Bushmaster for their troopers. all these weapons are great, the next one I buy will be a DPMS varminter probably. take care, felix

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Still to much, atleast to me. Especially when you can piece together a brand new RRA for a few $100 less.

Complete RRA lower with 6 position stock - $235
Complete RRA 16" flat top upper, chrome lined barrel with BCG and charging handle - $409
Rear Sights - $95

Comes out to less then $750.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am about to purchase my first AR for carrying on duty. Out of these two guns which one will be a better pick.
The texas department of public safety switched over to bushmaster at the first part of 2006. So dont think twice about carrying that rifle while on duty.

As for myself, I have a bushmaster rifle - its about 4 years old and have never had any problems with it. Its been on camping trips, in the rain, in the freezing rain, its been strapped to the front of a 4-wheeler driving down dirt roads, its been just about everywhere and has never given me any problems. Every time I pull the trigger it goes - bang.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all. ive been visiting the forums for quite some time now. Lot of very good info here and as everyone has an opinion, some are good, others ,well you know. Anyway the question has always raised my hackles.
It is something like which is better a new Cadilac or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
As a matter of coincidence just tonite I inspected 2 bolt and carrier assemblies. one was a bushmaster with 10000 rounds thru it, the other was a DPMS with 2000 rounds.
The Bushmaster showed the obvious signs of use in some polishing on and around the lugs on the bolt, and the 4 pads where the carrier rides the upper. There was no rounding of these surfaces, just what most people would consider normal wear for the round count. Looked pretty good and the bolt moved smoothly in the carrier.
The DPMS was a whole other story. The four corners of the carrier slides were very worn to rounded. This comes from excessively sloppy fit of the carrier to the upper. The bolt had extensive polishing and rounding on and around the lugs. The bolt face was pitted all around the firing pin hole, with the beginnings or erosion of the tip of the firing pin. Most of the phosphate coating from the outside of the carrier was gone.

I do not believe that DPMS should even be a consideration.

Spend the money, buy a rifle you will be proud to take to the range and know that it will not let you down.

My Bushmaster is on its 2nd barrel. Total round count is just over 24000.
NEVER had a jam misfire or any other problem.

Update: 10-1-06
At the range today, was the rest of the above parts. I own the Bushmaster and one of my co-workers owns the DPMS.
My typical day at the range. no problems. Only shooting at 100 yds so nice little 5 shot 1 holers were just happening.

Over at The DPMS side life was not so good. Stovepipe first round, then a couple shots later a slam fire, the the magic of a double, twice. That guy was not a happy camper.

Spend the money, cry once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Easy one to answer, Go with the Bushmaster, Armilite or Rock River, I've used all of those. The ..well....we have a saying...it stands for D*** Pilipino made SH**

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings people, I'm new here so if I'm treading too well worn of ground my apologies. Most of the postings I've seen are a little older than a year and things change. I've been hunting for years with my father, always using older military rifles, primarily Mausers and have grown accustomed to their solid safety features and longevity. I'm considering moving to a higher caliber auto loader rifle, most likely a .308. I'm comfortable with solid steel receivers which seem to be only available in Springfields M1a rifles. Have also seen good comments about Armalites, RR, and DPMS.

I want to buy a rifle that's going to last (with proper care), be accurate, dependable, and something to pass along to my kids. From all of your combined experience, knowing the final decision is mine, I'm looking forward to hearing from people with experience and no sales talk. Thanks.
:feedback:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Easy one to answer, Go with the Bushmaster, Armilite or Rock River, I've used all of those. The ..well....we have a saying...it stands for D*** Pilipino made SH**
I have both the Bushmater and DPMS. They are both mil-spec and parts interchange. I really don't see how anyone who has actually shot a DPMS can call it Sh*t. I really don't see much of a difference between the two.

Read this DPMS, Inc. | Panther Arms .

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hello all. ive been visiting the forums for quite some time now. Lot of very good info here and as everyone has an opinion, some are good, others ,well you know. Anyway the question has always raised my hackles.
It is something like which is better a new Cadilac or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
As a matter of coincidence just tonite I inspected 2 bolt and carrier assemblies. one was a bushmaster with 10000 rounds thru it, the other was a DPMS with 2000 rounds.
The Bushmaster showed the obvious signs of use in some polishing on and around the lugs on the bolt, and the 4 pads where the carrier rides the upper. There was no rounding of these surfaces, just what most people would consider normal wear for the round count. Looked pretty good and the bolt moved smoothly in the carrier.
The DPMS was a whole other story. The four corners of the carrier slides were very worn to rounded. This comes from excessively sloppy fit of the carrier to the upper. The bolt had extensive polishing and rounding on and around the lugs. The bolt face was pitted all around the firing pin hole, with the beginnings or erosion of the tip of the firing pin. Most of the phosphate coating from the outside of the carrier was gone.

I do not believe that DPMS should even be a consideration.

Spend the money, buy a rifle you will be proud to take to the range and know that it will not let you down.

My Bushmaster is on its 2nd barrel. Total round count is just over 24000.
NEVER had a jam misfire or any other problem.

Update: 10-1-06
At the range today, was the rest of the above parts. I own the Bushmaster and one of my co-workers owns the DPMS.
My typical day at the range. no problems. Only shooting at 100 yds so nice little 5 shot 1 holers were just happening.

Over at The DPMS side life was not so good. Stovepipe first round, then a couple shots later a slam fire, the the magic of a double, twice. That guy was not a happy camper.

Spend the money, cry once.

thats dumb !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts