Buying a saiga 7.62 - factory accuracy rating?

Discussion in 'Saiga' started by mlambie, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mlambie

mlambie G&G Newbie

Looking at buying one of these, wondering 2 things:

how much stock do i put in the factory accuracy rating? the rating says something to the effect of "tested at the factory putting 4 rounds at 100 M, with distance from center of XXX cm, in the case of the one im looking at its 84 mm grouping. Is that on the high end or the low end for saigas chambered in 7.62x39?

Second, is $399 a decent price? i saw gander mountain has them for something like $650 or more for the 7.62 w/ 16.5" barrel. i can't seem to find any cheaper than $399, saw a used one for $350 or so. I'm in michigan and have looked at prices in ohio and pennsylvania too.

2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

$400 isn't bad. Keep in mind if you want it to use standard AK mags, you'll have to do some minor work to the rifle. It will also cost about $150 to change it to the traditional style AK.

3. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I don’t think that I have ever tested my Saiga for group size mostly because I didn’t have time, but I do know that shooting it next to other AKs it, you can tell that it is a better made rifle. If you mod it out to take standard AK magazines and parts you will have to make sure that you have enough 922r parts to make it legal but that is not too hard it just requires spending a little extra money and if you do the work yourself it is even cheaper.

84mm = about 3.3 inches which is pretty decent for a AK style rifle there are a few things that you can do to tighten that up like try different types of ammo, stone the trigger smooth, install optics that allow you to better see the target and most important practice, practice, PRACTICE but just understand that AKs were never made to be tack drivers they are made to work when you need it to so you are not going to get the magical sub MOA accuracy that you can from other systems.

4. mlambie

mlambie G&G Newbie

i think accuracy is more of a concern for me, than say the ability to mod it out like crazy with ak stocks and magazines.

i'm really trying to decide between an SKS and the Saiga, but with the prices on the SKS around Michigan, the russian made ones are literally the same price as the Saiga, the yugos about 100 bucks cheaper and the norincos somewhere in between. I'm planning on using this mostly for range, and 100 yds or less deer hunting. don't really need sub-m.o.a. for that, just need to group em all on a paper plate at 100yds!

5. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Any of those will hit inside a paper plate at 100 yards. I'd say the Saiga probably will group best. An SKS isn't a bad choice either, but if a Saiga is about the same, go for it. It's simple to scope. You'll run into issues getting a solid mount on the SKS.

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

All I can say is I scoped my Saiga .223, and was regularly popping balloons at 200 yards, which was the longest I could go on the range I was at.

MoDoc likes this.
  7. Fisch

Fisch G&G Regular

I think it was J&G who was selling Saiga 7.62 rifles for $299 just a few months ago. I'm kicking myself for not buying one. But I got a Yugo SKS for $289 [+fees] and I'm happy with it. Shot 8 of ten into a 8" paper plate at 200 yds [yup - 200] with iron sights, 156 g SP. and the unworked/tough trigger. At 100 yds, 4 inches is not problem from the bench.

8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

7.62X39 with 156 gr. softpoints? Where did you get those? What powder and what charge were you using?

9. I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add some info that I've not seen mentioned in here that could easily get folks in trouble.
    I have a Saiga 7.62x30 Sporter that I picked up several years ago, and at the time I also purchased a couple of aftermarket 30rd Saiga magazines but never used them. Fast forward to this year when I decided to add a scope and get brave and do the AK magazine conversion. (which I've now done but haven't gone to the range to test yet). To make a long story well... Long what everyone needs to be aware of is that although the Saiga Sporter does not run afoul of any import laws, even in some fairly restrictive states as soon as you add either an aftermarket high capacity magazine or do the AK conversion (even if using 5 or 10 round mags) you have now placed your rifle outside the law .. the same 922r regs that make modifying an SKS a pain in the rear. So after doing some research here is what I came up with (please don't take my word and double check - and feedback is definitely welcome):
    - Saiga Sporter has 14 applicable parts but is Ok because is was made within the "Sporting Rifle" rules.
    - As soon as you change the Magazine from an OEM 922r goes into effect and you have to now have 10 or less imported parts off of the list.
    - If the Magazine is US made you just replaced 3 bad parts with US good parts (Mag Body, Follower and Floorplate) but still have 11 bad parts = Trouble
    - It the Magazine is a Import now you are up to 17 bad parts. = More Trouble (actually the same, but more of a pain to make legal)
    At this point you have a couple of options:
    - If you replace the stock and fore grip you have replaced 2 bad parts and will be legal as long as you use US made Magazines (14 -3 -2 = 9 = Good!)
    (Note: if you replace using a pistol grip stock you are Ok the pistol grip counts, but only if it was on the OEM rifle so the stock still only counts as two good parts.. Similar to a Tapco Mag on an SKS - the mag only counts as two because the original rifle didn't have a floorplate)
    - If you replace just the Gas Piston you have replaced 1 bad part and will be legal so long as you use US mad Magazines (14 -3 -1 = 10 - Good!)
    Note- I did the Gas piston option, the part is approx. $20 but you will need to drill the dimples out in your carrier to install the aftermarket piston.
    Note that in both these scenario's you are only legal if you use US made Magazines.. If you want to be legal with Imports then you will need to replace 4 parts that were a part of the OEM rifle on the 922r list with us made - the parts are out there, but the job becomes more intricate and expensive.
    Now that doesn't mean that you can't do the AK 47 Mag Mod and have imported mags, but you need to have US made mags and use them in your rifle.
    I guess the part of all of this that really bothers me is the "Buyer Beware" part.. You can go to many websites and buy high capacity mags built for a Saiga Sporter without doing any mods and most people (myself included until recently) are not aware and are not warned that if they use these aftermarket mags in their Saiga they are running afoul of federal law unless they replace at least one other compliance part, and there may be other imported rifles that Like the Saiga that might just get you in trouble very easily without you even knowing it due to the complexity of our federal gun laws.