Buying a Used Gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Sober, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Hey Guys I tried to search the forum to see if this has come up but The search provided no results so here it is........I Just recently purchased a used gun and It looks to be excellent shape the slide feels great, the decocker works and everything "seems" smooth not to mention it has the original case, manual, lock, extra mag and I bought it from a very credible gunstore and the guy i talked to was a legit dude so its not like a gunshow or anything where the guy is trying to burn me..... Now I have read on a few other forums that buying a used gun is a crapshoot at best. I read that all your doing is buying someone elses problems and that your much better off buying new. Im wondering if this really rings true or not. As i dont really trust these people from these other forums cause most of what they say strikes me as pure speculation. Dont legitimate gunshops generally check these firearms out before purchasing them back from someone....I mean you'd think they wouldn't be in business very long if they were selling other peoples problems at a discount. I mean shoot i couldn't tell any difference between this one i bought used and the brand new one.

2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

I've bought new and used, I always ask to test fire the gun with the option to return if there is a problem.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    All of my guns but one are used or inherited. I've only run across one dud and that was because the slide bit my hand no matter how I grasped the grip, not because it wasn't in good condition or malfunctioned due to improper maintenance. Buying a used firearm needn't be a crapshoot if you just spend some time looking it over carefully and perhaps field-stripping it for a good look at the working parts.Study up on what to look for in a used firearm and you can make buying decisions with confidence.

4. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

I have only ever bought 1 new gun. I buy all of my guns used. Call me weird, but I can't stomach the thought of walking out of the store and losing 50% of the value ona new gun.

Not just that, but I only have a few "modern" guns. Almost all of mine qualify for C&R because of age or are antique federally. I just don't care for most plastic (Despite having a few ARs laying around and shooting my XD40 almost exclusively nowadays). I'm a sucker for a gorgeous walnut stock and deep blueing.

5. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Ya know.... i never thought about the fact that you lose value on a gun the second you walk out the store with it.....That right there makes me feel better about buying used....Actually this is my 3rd used gun purchase First being a Mav 88 which I got ripped off on paid 260 before tax on a "non-fired" used shotty (thats what i get for not doin any research) that being said it was also my first firearm purchase so I really didn't know what the heck i was doing. Second used gun was A mosin nagant and that panned out beautifully. But this most recent one makes me a little nervous because it didn't even occur to me to ask him to strip it and check the innerds but jusging from the condition of the outside of the gun Im sure the guts are fine...its not like I only paid 200 bucks for it. But from NOW ON Ima check these a little more thoroughly. Still tho I feel pretty good about it I mean I have 30 days to return it if it malfunctions or something and I get a FULL refund and that right there tells me these guys are legit. Heck that shop that i bought the Mav 88 ALL SALES ARE FINAL not to mention the guy was kind of an a$$hole. I will NEVER buy anything from them again and there business is kinda goin under anyway(probably ripped off to many people) ...I will However, be more than glad to buy more used firearms from this other shop tho (the one i just bought from). My buddy just picked up a Used Winchester 30-30 there and Its BEAUTIFUL and functions flawlessly. Not to mention these guys are just plain cool. I was joking around with em a little about the stupid cooling off period........... dude even shook my hand after the sale was final .....VERY professional.

6. group17

group17 Guest

I think people are always looking for a new gun and are willing to trade one of there collection to move up or buy something different.

They aren't traded in because of problems only any more.

I have personally bought slightly used pistols and rifles and none of them have had one problem. All of them came with more mags than the NIB version and all of them have saved me $150+ over retail. The LGD's around me give a year warranty or replacement trade on all of their guns so you can buy with confidence.
    Example: I just picked up a used CZ 75 D compact for $350 which retails for $5-600.
    The plus is it came with 4 mags. $40 savings just for the extra 2 mags.

Great way to buy a better gun at a discount IMO.

7. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

It is a great way to buy a better gun at a discount. I bought my most recent XD40 used, it was a police trade in and spent all of its life in a holster. Sent tehslide to lone wolf for refinishing and it's good as new. Paid $275 after refinish job for a nice XD40 with 4 mags. You won't find that deal anywhere for a new gun.

8. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

You just have to be much more thorough on your inspection of the firearm before you purchase it. I recently acquired a Beretta 92FS. Tag said it was unfired. Well, that has more than one meaning. Just about every firearm manufacturer test fires the guns anyways. Then it depends on how much the prior owner shot it. I was fortunate enough to have a Beretta M9 to use as a comparison. That gun was brand new when I first fired it, and since have put around 200 rds through it. Upon inspecting the slide and frame and wear patterns at the gun show before I purchased my 92, the wear was substantially less than on the M9 I have previously fired. The magazines did display some brass residue from being loaded and unloaded, and there was some more brass residue left on the face of the slide where it contacts the round when cycling. And there was also a little bit of brass shavings in the frame as well from being fired. The gun did not appear to have been oiled either, so I was able to oil it all up nice. That was just my experience, and I think considering the condition of the pistol after I inspected it, I think I got a great deal for a basically brand new pistol.

9. LuckyGunner.com

LuckyGunner.com G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

USA
    Used Firearms

About half of my firearms were used when I purchased them. One suggestion is to take a bore light with you when your anywhere near a gun shop. I carry one in my glove compartment so I can check the bore before purchasing. Disassembly is a must and it will typically show the amount of use the firearm has seen. Test firing is a great option if there is a range on site.

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Way more than Half of My collection are used guns. You can usually do a visual inspection and tell how good a gun has been maintained, how much wear is present, how much of the Original finish is present, bore condition , etc...If you know what to look for like buffed stampings and rounded edges that should be sharp , and poor fitting stocks or grips, you can usually tell if a gun has been refinished too, which decrease the Original value.

11. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

I try to be very familiar or as familiar as possible with the firearm platform in question before buying it used. For example, I bought a Colt AR-15 for a $900 discount because the previous owner didn't know how to do basic maintenance like replacing springs, gas rings and extractors. I knew what problems were there before coming in, but I was able to fix it for $30 in parts, and it shoots like a champ now.

With pistols look at slide wear, rails and the front of the barrel where it locks up with the slide as indicators of how much it's been used. Pay attention to how it dry fires, and field strip the pistol. Check the slide at the firing pin hole for cracks for signs of excessive dry firing. For revolvers, look at the cylinder where the locking notches are. You'll see a worn line where the locking bolt drags on the cylinder between notches. The more pronounced, the more use it's seen.

Finally, inspect the muzzle crown for any burrs or damage.

There are basic things to look for, there is always a tradeoff. Many times it's well worth it. I wouldn't take used firearms out of the question at all.

12. There are some great deals to be had buying used . I would think any repuatable gun shop inspects weapons when buying or taking in on trade ins . I have new and used and sure wish I would of paid used prices for some of the new ones I have . Do your home work and make sure it justifies in price buying used .