Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was [email protected]@king/asking questions about an AK at Fleet Farm when it cought my eye. At $109 i thought it was a perty good price for a rifle. They guy behind the counter said i could [email protected]@k through there stock, (5 right now, getting more soon) but i dont know what to look for. Could i get some help here and is that a good deal? Thank you...

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,305 Posts
Look for as good bluing as possible...
Look for matching numbers on bolt/receiver/mag bottom (matching stock number a plus)....
Most have excellent bores, but look anyways.
Should come with an accessory pouch too....

Good luck....

At $109 probably "shooter grade" with about 80% bluing...(Not that theres anything wrong with that)

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,675 Posts
Pull the gas tube off to look for signs of using corrosive ammo. Make sure the lock up on the gas tube to selector is in good condition and fairly tight. Check the barrel good for corrosion too. They are not chrome lined.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Just make sure it has all matching numbers, nice bore, and decent bluing. If it is covered in cosmoline don't let that detract you because it is supposed to be.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
I'd take that $109 and add $60 to it and get a full sized Norinco. Or add another $100-$120 and get a Norinco Paratrooper. I learned along time ago to wait, spend alittle extra money and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yugos are awsome. The only one I'd take over that is the paratrooper

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to find a sight(s) that will sell SKS's and AK's without having to have a FFL...i dont plan on dealing guns so why would i get one. Alot of sights require on...pisses me off.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
OMG, at the last gun show I saw a Yugo with more cosmo than I've EVER seen on a gun. There was actually a shell of cosmo around it. Yugos are going up, and I can't figure out why. Gun shows around here are wanting $150-$200 for junky guns. I'm actually starting to be a smart !!!!! to them about it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It is the law that you need an FFL to ship guns. If you get your C&R then you can buy your SKS direct.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
sickwitems said:
I need to find a sight(s) that will sell SKS's and AK's without having to have a FFL...i dont plan on dealing guns so why would i get one. Alot of sights require on...pisses me off.
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's not possible. To order a gun online you have to have an FFL or a C&R(can only buy older guns with a C&R). Your best bet is to check out gunbroker and gunsamerica and find someone in your state with a gun you want. If you sell/buy person to person(other person is not a gun dealer) you don't have to worry about paperwork.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,305 Posts
Only firearms you can get online without a license are antiques (1898 0n back)

They didn't make SKS's back then...;) :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I thought if you have the C&R you can get guns that are 30 years or older?

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Yeah, but Joe was saying without a license you can still buy guns online, just ones that were made before 1898. AHHH you've got 666 posts? EVIIIIILLLLLL.... Or am I confused by what you meant?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,305 Posts
sks forever said:
I thought if you have the C&R you can get guns that are 30 years or older?
C&R is 50 yrs and older back to to 1899....older than 1899 NO LICENSE....

C&R also covers guns that are not 50 yrs old...hence the "Curio" part...like my Ishy Enfield 2A1 .308 made in 1967.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pred said:
I'd take that $109 and add $60 to it and get a full sized Norinco. Or add another $100-$120 and get a Norinco Paratrooper. I learned along time ago to wait, spend alittle extra money and do it right the first time.

Where would i find an Norinco for $170? They do have $170 SKS's at Fleet Farm, but im not sure why they are so expensive. The guy said they were higher quality, i dont think he realy knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Go with the Yugo. You won't be disapointed. THe only thing I'd take over that is the paratrooper, but they are hard to find and considerably more money. I really like the Yugo. Great shooters and low price. My yugo SKS is really accurate. I out shoot a lot of rifles with that SKS.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Thats the thing, your just going to have to be patient and look. I found the Norinco Paratrooper(doesn't take AK mags) for $220 at a local pawn shop. The guy then told me he had a full size Norinco that was perfect he would sell me for $160. I ended up building my AR before it came up for sale. Speaking of which, I need to run down there ans see what he has. My wife is all of a sudden giving me the ok to buy alot of stuff. And SKS, I'll keep that in mind :nod: . I'm still waiting for my pics though.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I sold a really nice Yugo that I refinished for like 150. Be patient like he said. Pred is a smart guy and he knows when he sees a good deal like when he traded me his G3.:kinky: :nod: ;) :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts