close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

buying an M-1 carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Apr 1, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    After the last gun show I went to, and handling a few M-1 carbines, I think I might have to buy one(time to sell the sks to free up some money). Never really paid much attention to them, but they are neat little guns. I would also like it just for the fact it was issued to our troops. Got a gun show coming up this weekend so, I have a few questions.

Anyways, I was after some hints on what to look for in an M-1 carbine. Problems to watch for, what manufacturer, and so on.
    I am looking for a decent shooter, nothing spectacular...100 to 150 yards maximum I would be shooting. I just want a nice piece of U.S. history to add to my collection. What should I be looking to spend on one? The two I was looking at were around 450-550 dollars. One last question, could I put a paratrooper folding stock on one if I bought one, or would that to have been done before the '94 gun-ban to be legal? Any other input would be helpful about finding parts, ammo, or whatever.
    Thanks......

2. Bruce

Bruce G&G Newbie

Other that the usual stuff, Rusty barrel, bent barrel, buggered uped screws, split wood etc. Rack the slide 4-5 times and let go it should not jump its track. Things that make it a late war rebuild are adjustable sights, bayonett lug on barrel band "flip" saftey. Look for USGI manufacturer Not a commercial carbine stick with GI. Imports here in bay area that are late upgraded sell for 500-600 range WOW. Also shake or twist carbine in the stock it may be loose but not too much. Good Luck
    Bruce

3. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

A paratrooper stock would be legal, but ONLY if you do NOT have a bayonet lug on the weapon. Forgot-if you can find one, Rock-Ola carbines have the most value, as they were the fewest built.

4. also check to see if it is an import. However if you are buying it simply as a shooter this doesn't matter. Condition is most important. So is getting a GI carbine, not a Universal, Nat'l Ord, Iver Johnson , Plainfield, or any of the other clones. Bob

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Aside from 2 GI carbines, I have a Nat'l Ordnance that I shoot regularly. They aren't the best carbine, but they are a very good one. Never had a problem with mine yet, that was the weapons' fault, anyway. I would definitely steer clear of a Universal. Unless it's an early model, parts are hard/impossible to come by, and the newer ones are terribly unreliable. Whatever you get, just make sure of what you're looking at. Once you buy it, you're stuck with it. Carbines are a lot of fun to shoot. Good luck......

6. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

I bought a nice Underwood-Elliott-Fisher. I paid $525. It was one of the 2 nicest ones I saw and there were a bunch there. The other was a Winchester and they wanted $750 for it. Most of the other ones I saw looked hard used. This year I saw a nice Winchester and they wanted $1000 for it so I guess they are not getting cheaper. The rarest model would be a Commercial Controls Corp. They only made 239. Next rarest is Irwin-Pederson Arms Co. They made 146,723. Then Rock-Ola Company at 228,500. Inland Manufacturing Division is the most common. They made 2,285,000. Then Winchester at 818,059. I dont know why they want so much for Winchesters. It is probably just the name. Some shoot good. Others I have heard dont. I got lucky as mine is a shooter but that is just the chance you take if you can't try it beforehand.

7. Actually Commercial Controls , Rochester, and National Postal Meter were all made be the parent company Rochester Defence Corp. In much the same way IP s were made initially by IP, but more IP receivers were assembled by Saginaw S'G'( the grand Rapids plant that was originally a part of IP.The actual # of carbines actually built by IP was about 1,00 with the rest being assembled under control of Saginaw. Also Union Switch and Signal made some receivers for Quality HMC and were marked UN-QUALITY. All of these are grist for the carbine collectors mill. Albeit confusing to a newbie in the wonderful world of carbines

8. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

I got my production info out of a owners manual I bought with my carbine. I don't know the detailed manufacturing history of the different companies that made them. I think the M1 is a great carbine though and am happy that mine shoots well and I have always liked peep sights. I use mine for coyote control.